In this work, the propagation loss due to diffraction and insertion losses for indoor scenario at 5.6 GHz band are measured using directive antenna and a Vector Network Analyzer (VNA). It is shown that the insertion loss of a metallic door with porthole window varies from several dB due to the propagation loss via the porthole glass up to 50 dB due to the diffraction by the porthole boards when the line between the transmitting antenna and receiving one is outside the porthole glass. It is shown that the insertion loss of a 12 cm brick wall is 4.8 dB for vertical polarization while it is 6.3 dB for horizontal polarization. Also it is shown the diffraction loss due single or double concrete columns depends on the distance between the transmitting and receiving antennas.
1. Tayebi, A., J. Gomez, F. M. Saez de Adana, and O. Gutierrez, "The application of ray-tracing to mobile localization using the direction of arrival and received signal strength in multipath indoor environments," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 91, 1-15, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER09020301
2. Roozbahani, M. G., E. Jedari, and A. A. Shishegar, "A new link-level simulation procedure of wideband MIMO radio channel or performance evaluation of indoor WLANS," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 83, 13-24, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER08040502
3. Bertoni, H. L., Radio Propagation for Modern Wireless Systems, Prentice Hall PTR, New Jersey, 2000.
4. Rappaport, T. S., Wireless Communications, Prentice Hall PTR, New York, 1996.
5. Saunders, S. R., Antennas and Propagation for Wireless Communication Systems, J. Wiley & Sons, New York, 1999.
6. Cheung, K. W., J. H. M. Sau, and R. D. Murch, "A new empirical model for indoor propagation prediction," IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, Vol. 47, No. 3, 996-1001, Aug. 1998. doi:10.1109/25.704854
7. Yarkoni, N. and N. Blaunstein, "Prediction of propagation characteristics in indoor radio communication environments," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 59, 151-174, 2006. doi:10.2528/PIER05090801
8. Chen, Y., Z. Zhang, and T. Qin, "Geometrically based channel model for indoor radio propagation with directional antennas," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 20, 109-124, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIERB10022205
9. Chen, Y., Z. Zhang, L. Hu, and P. B. Rapajic, "Geometry-based statistical model for radio propagation in rectangular office buildings," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 17, 187-212, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIERB09080603
10. Kara, A., "Human body shadowing variability in short-range indoor radio links at 3-11 GHz band," International Journal of Electronics, Vol. 96, No. 2, 205-211, Feb. 2009. doi:10.1080/00207210802524302
11. Choi, J., N.-G. Kang, J.-M. Ra, J.-S. Kang, and S.-C. Kim, "Effect of metal door on indoor radio channel," The 18th Annual IEEE International Symposium on Personal, Indoor and Mobile Radio Communications, PIMRC'07, 1-5, 2007. doi:10.1109/PIMRC.2007.4394075
12. Nagy, L., "FDTD and ray optical methods for indoor wave propagation modeling," Microwave Review, 47-53, Jul. 2010.