In this paper, a new dual-band bandpass (BPF) filter with multi-spurious suppression is proposed, which is composed of step-impedance resonators (SIR) and grounded-step-impedance resonators (GSIR). It is shown that the resonant frequencies of GSIR can be obtained similar to SIR. Then, by determining the dimensions of SIR to have a specified resonant frequencies ratio, the dimensions of GSIR can be calculated. It is also shown that the coupling lengths between SIR and GSIR can create several transmissions zeros and can be used to suppress the unwanted higher order resonant frequencies. A third-order filter is designed and fabricated to operate at two WLAN frequencies of 2.45 GHz and 5.8 GHz. The measured results show a rejection level of 24 dB up to more than 17 GHz (7f1). Simulation and measurement results are in good agreement with each other.
1. Abu-Hundrouss, A. M. and M. J. Lancaster, "Design of multiple-band microwave filters using cascaded filter elements," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 16, 2109-2118, 2009. doi:10.1163/156939309790109225
2. Liang, F., B. Luo, W. Lu, and X. Wang, "A compact dual-band filter with close passbands using asymmetric λ/4 resonator pairs with shared via-hole ground," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 25, No. 8-9, 1289-1296, 2011. doi:10.1163/156939311795761971
3. Guan, X., Z. Ma, P. Cai, Y. Kobayashi, T. Anada, and G. Hagiwara, "Synthesis of dual-band bandpass filters using successive frequency transformations and circuit conversions," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 16, No. 3, 110-112, March 2006. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2006.869868
4. Alkanhal, M. A. S., "Dual-band bandpass filters using in-verted stepped-impedance resonators," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 8-9, 1211-1220, 2009.
5. Chu, Q.-X. and F.-C. Chen, "A compact dual-band bandpass filter using meandering stepped impedance resonators," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 18, No. 5, 320-322, May 2008. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2008.922117
6. Weng, M.-H., C.-H. Kao, and Y.-C. Chang, "A compact dual-and bandpass filter using cross coupled asymmetric SIRs for WLANs," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 2-3, 161-168, 2010. doi:10.1163/156939310790735679
7. Lee, C.-H., I.-C. Wang, and C.-I. G. Hsu, "Dual-band balanced BPF using quarter wavelength stepped-impedance resonators and folded feed lines," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 17-18, 2441-2449, 2009.
8. Wang, X.-H., B.-Z. Wang, and K. J. Chen, "Compact broadband dual-band bandpass filters using slotted ground structures," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 82, 151-166, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER08030101
9. Wang, J. P., B.-Z. Wang, Y. X. Wang, and Y.-X. Guo, "Dual-band microstrip stepped-impedance bandpass filter with defected ground structure ," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 22, No. 4, 463-470, 2008. doi:10.1163/156939308784150335
10. Chen, F. C. and Q. X. Chu, "Novel multi stub loaded resonator and its application to high-order dual-band filters," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory and Tech., Vol. 58, 1551-1556, 2010. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2010.2049161
11. Velazquez-Ahumada, M. D. C., J. Martel-Villagr, F. Medina, and F. Mesa, "Application of stub loaded folded stepped impedance resonators to dual band filters," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 102, 107-124, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER10011406
12. Chen, C.-Y. and C.-C. Lin, "The design and fabrication of a highly compact microstrip dual-band bandpass filter," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 112, 299-307, 2011.
13. Kuo, J.-T. and H.-P. Lin, "Dual-band bandpass filter with improved performance in extended upper rejection band," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 57, No. 4, 824-829, April 2009.
14. Jiang, M., L.-M. Chang, and A. Chin, "Design of dual-passband microstrip bandpass filters with multi-spurious suppression," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 20, No. 4, 199-201, April 2010. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2010.2042550
15. Mashhadi, M. and N. komjani, "Design of novel dual-band bandpass filter with multi-spurious suppression for WLAN application," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 26, No. 7, 851-862, 2012. doi:10.1080/09205071.2012.710351
16. Weng, M.-H., H.-W. Wu, and Y.-K. Su, "Compact and low loss dual-band bandpass filter using pseudo-interdigital stepped impedance resonators for WLANs," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 17, No. 3, 187-189, March 2007. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2006.890463
17. Dai, G. L., X. Y. Zhang, C. H. Chan, Q. Xue, and M. Y. Xia, "An investigation of open- and short-ended resonators and their applications to bandpass filters," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory and Tech., Vol. 57, No. 9, 2203-2210, September 2009. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2009.2027173
18. Kuo, J.-T. and E. Shih, "Microstrip stepped-impedance resonator bandpass filter with an extended optimal rejection bandwidth," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory and Tech., Vol. 51, No. 5, 1554-1559, May 2003. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2003.810138