A novel segmented structure is proposed as a versatile approach to reject certain band of UWB printed monopole antennas (PMAs). To validate the effectiveness of the proposed structure, three UWB PMAs with typical circular, beveled rectangular and regular hexagonal patch shapes are selected and investigated. Good agreement between simulation and measurement shows that, by segmenting every selected patch into three parts, intensive coupling occurs between the center patch and the side patches at the target frequency, and consequently the band-notched function in IEEE 802.11a WLAN band is obtained. The measured radiation properties of these antennas are also presented and discussed. Moreover, a pair of equivalent lumped circuit models is presented, which provides a physical correlation between the notch band behaviors and the control parameters. The input impedance of the antennas calculated by the equivalent circuit models agree very well with the HFSS simulated results.
1. Lin, C. C. and H. R. Chuang, "A 3-12 GHz UWB planar triangular monopole antenna with ridged ground-plane," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 83, 307-321, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER08070502
2. Zaker, R., C. Ghobadi, and J. Nourinia, "A modified microstrip-fed two-step tapered monopole antenna for UWB and WLAN," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 77, 137-148, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER07080701
3. Liang, J. X., C. C. Chiau, X. D. Chen, and C. G. Parini, "Study of a printed circular disc monopole antenna for UWB systems," IEEE Trans. on Ntennas and Propag., Vol. 53, 3500-3504, 2005. doi:10.1109/TAP.2005.858598
4. Chen, Z. N., T. S. P. See, and X. M. Qing, "Small printed ultrawideband antenna with reduced ground plane effect," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 55, 383-388, 2007. doi:10.1109/TAP.2006.889823
5. Barbarino, S. and F. Consoli, "UWB circular slot antenna provided with an inverted-L notch filter for the 5 GHz WLAN band," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 104, 1-3, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER10040507
6. Chu, Q. X. and Y. Y. Yang, "A compact ultrawideband antenna with 3.4/5.5 GHz dual band-notched characteristics," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 56, 3637-3644, 2008. doi:10.1109/TAP.2008.2007368
7. Li, C.-M. and L.-H. Ye, "Improved dual band-notched UWB slot antenna with controllable notched band-widths," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 115, 477-493, 2011.
8. Qu, S., J. Li, and Q. Xue, "A band-notched ultrawideband printed monopole antenna," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 5, 495-498, 2006. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2006.886303
9. Sim, C.-Y.-D., W.-T. Chung, and C.-H. Lee, "Planar UWB antenna with 5 GHz band rejection switching function at ground plane," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 106, 321-333, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER10060208
10. Jiang, J., Y. Song, Z. Yan, X. Zhang, and W. Wu, "Band-notched UWB printed antenna with an inverted-L-slotted ground," Microwave. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 51, 260-263, 2009. doi:10.1002/mop.24003
11. Kelly, J. R., J. R., P. S. Hall, and P. Gardner, "Band-notched UWB antenna incorporating a microstrip open-loop resonator," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 59, 3045-3048, 2011. doi:10.1109/TAP.2011.2152326
12. Thomas, K. G. and M. Sreenivasan, "A simple ultrawideband planar rectangular printed antenna with band dispensation," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 58, 27-34, 2010. doi:10.1109/TAP.2009.2036279
13. Abbosh, A. M. and M. E. Bialkowski, "Design of UWB planar band-notched antennas using parasitic elements," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 57, 796-799, 2009. doi:10.1109/TAP.2009.2013449
14. Peng, L. and C. L. Ruan, "UWB band-notched monopole antenna design using electromagnetic-bandgap structures," IEEE Trans. on Microwave Theory and Tech., Vol. 59, 1074-1081, 2011. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2011.2114090
15. Lin, C. C., P. Jin, and W. Ziolkowski, "Single, dual and triband-notched ultrawideband (UWB) antennas using Capacitively loaded loop (CLL) resonators," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 60, 102-109, 2012. doi:10.1109/TAP.2011.2167947
16. Wang, S. B. T., A. M. Niknejad, and W. Brodersen, "Circuit modeling methodology for UWB omnidirectional small antennas," IEEE J. Select. Areas Commun., Vol. 24, 871-877, 2006. doi:10.1109/JSAC.2005.863873
17. Zhang, K., Y. X. Li, and Y. L. Long, "Band-notched UWB printed monopole antenna with a novel segmented circular patch," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 9, 1209-1212, 2010. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2010.2099095
18. Collin, R. E., Foundation for Microwave Engineering, 2nd Edition, McGraw-Hill, New York, 1993.
19. Ramo, S., J. R. Whinnery, and T. Van Duzer, Fields and Waves in Communication Electronics, Vol. 2, 1871-1874, IEEE APS Int. Symp. Dig., Monterey, CA, Jun. 2004.