This article presents a novel technique for isolation enhancement between two closely packed antennas. First, an inverted-U loop antenna (IULA) integrated into the top edge of a laptop panel is designed for 2.6-GHz LTE application. The mutual coupling between two designed IULA antennas has considerable effects by the placing positions of them. The results indicate the ground of the two IULA antennas placing against each other obtain the best isolation. At last, a three-element MIMO antenna was designed and measured. Although the gap between two adjacent antennas is only 1 mm, the experimental results show that the proposed two-element and three-element MIMO antennas achieve more than 20 dB isolation within the operating band. The important performances of antenna efficiency, envelope correlation, and channel capacity are also presented.
1. Liberti, J. C. and T. S. Rappaport, Smart Antennas for Wireless Communication Communications: IS-95 and Third Generation CDMA Applications, Prentice Hall PTR, 1999.
2. Paul, C. R., Introduction to Electromagnetic Compatibility, Wiley, 1992.
3. Wong, K. L., H. C. Tung, and T. W. Chiou, "Broadband dual-polarized aperture-coupled patch antennas with modified H-shaped coupling slots," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propaga., Vol. 50, 188-191, 2002. doi:10.1109/8.997993
4. Lin, S. Y. and K. C. Huang, "A compact microstrip antenna for GPS and DCS application," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propaga., Vol. 53, 1227-1229, 2005. doi:10.1109/TAP.2004.842597
5. Su, S. W., "High-gain dual-loop antennas for MIMO access points in the 2.4/5.2/5.8 GHz bands," IEEE Trans. on Antenna and Propaga., Vol. 58, 2412-2419, 2010. doi:10.1109/TAP.2010.2048871
6. Wong, H., K. L. Lau, and K. M. Luk, "Design of dual-polarized L-probe patch antenna arrays with high isolation," IEEE Trans. on Antenna and Propaga., Vol. 52, 45-52, 2004. doi:10.1109/TAP.2003.822402
7. Li, H., J. Xiong, and S. He, "A compact planar MIMO antenna system of four elements with similar radiation characteristics and isolation structure," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propaga. Lett., Vol. 8, 1107-1110, 2009. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2009.2034110
8. Delaveaud, C. and C. Brocheton, "Compact combined antenna with dual dipolar-type radiation," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 38, 415-418, 2003. doi:10.1002/mop.11077
9. Krairiksh, M., P. Keowsawat, C. Phongcharoenpanich, and S. Kosulvit, "Two-probe excited circular ring antenna for MIMO application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 97, 417-431, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER09091607
10. Chiu, C. Y., C. H. Cheng, R. D. Murch, and C. R. Rowell, "Reduction of mutual coupling between closely-packed antenna elements," IEEE Trans. on Antenna and Propaga., Vol. 55, 1732-1738, 2007. doi:10.1109/TAP.2007.898618
11. Li, J. F., Q. X. Chu, and X. X. Guo, "Tri-band four-element MIMO antenna with high isolation," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 24, 235-249, 2011. doi:10.2528/PIERC11082305
12. Chen, S. C., Y. S. Wang, and S. J. Chung, "A decoupling technique for increasing the port isolation between two strongly coupled antennas," IEEE Trans. on Antenna and Propaga., Vol. 56, 3650-3658, 2008. doi:10.1109/TAP.2008.2005469
13. Mak, A. C. K., C. R. Rowell, and R. D. Murch, "Isolation enhancement between two closely packed antennas," IEEE Trans. on Antenna and Propaga., Vol. 56, 3411-3419, 2008. doi:10.1109/TAP.2008.2005460
14. Diallo, A., C. Luxey, P. L. Thuc, R. Staraj, and G. Kossiavas, "Study and reduction of the mutual coupling between two mobile phone PIFAs operating in the DCS1800 and UMTS bands antennas and propagation," IEEE Trans. on Antenna and Propaga., Vol. 54, 3063-3074, 2006. doi:10.1109/TAP.2006.883981
15. Kim, Y., J. Itoh, and H. Morishita, "Decoupling method between two L-shaped folded monopole antennas for handsets using a bridge line," IET Microwaves, Antennas and Propaga., Vol. 4, 863-870, 2010. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2009.0043
16. Wong, K.-L., J.-H. Chou, C.-L. Tang, and S.-H. Yeh, "Integrated internal GSM/DCS and WLAN antennas with optimized isolation for a PDA phone," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 46, 323-326, 2005. doi:10.1002/mop.20977
17. Lin, S. Y. and H. R. Huang, "Ultra-wideband MIMO antenna with enhanced isolation," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 51, 570-573, 2009. doi:10.1002/mop.24091
18. Chiu, C. Y. and R. D. Murch, "Compact four-port antenna suitable for portable MIMO devices," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propaga. Lett., Vol. 7, 142-144, 2008. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2008.919341
19. Guterman, J., A. A. Moreira, and C. Peixeiro, "Integration of omnidirectional wrapped microstrip antennas into laptops," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propaga. Lett., Vol. 5, 141-144, 2006. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2006.873948
20. Lin, Y. C., S. Y, Lin, H. W. Wu, and W. S. Cheng, "A λ/2 loop antenna for GPS application in mini-laptop," Asia Pacific Microwave Conference, 1852-1855, 2009. doi:10.1109/APMC.2009.5384174
21. Bernhard, J. T., "Analysis of integrated antenna positions on a laptop computer for mobile data communication," IEEE Symp. on Antennas and Propag.,, 2210-2213, 1997.
22. Huff, G. H., J. Feng, S. Zhang, G. Cung, and J. T. Bernhard, "Directional reconfigurable antennas on laptop computers: Simulation, measurement and evaluation of candidate integration positions," IEEE Trans. on Antenna and Propaga., Vol. 52, 3220-3227, 2004. doi:10.1109/TAP.2004.836425
23. Tsukiji, T. and S. Tou, "On polygonal loop antennas," IEEE Trans. on Antenna and Propaga., Vol. 28, 571-575, 1980. doi:10.1109/TAP.1980.1142380
24. Chang, C.-H. and K.-L. Wong, "Internal coupled-fed shorted monopole antenna for GSM850/900/1800/1900/UMTS operation in the laptop computer," IEEE Trans. on Antenna and Propaga., Vol. 56, 3600-3604, 2008. doi:10.1109/TAP.2008.2005550
25. Lin, S. Y., C. W. Guan, S. A. Yeh, and H. R. Huang, "EMC monopole antenna integrated with an L-shaped ground for handset application," IEEE Antennas Propagat. Soc. Int. Symp. Dig., Jun. 2007.
26. Kildal, P.-S. and K. Rosengren, "Correlation and capacity of MIMO systems and mutual coupling, radiation efficiency, and diversity gain of their antennas: Simulations and measurements in a reverberation chamber," IEEE Comm. Magazine, 104-112, 2004. doi:10.1109/MCOM.2004.1367562
27. Ko, S. C. K. and R. D. Murch, "Compact integrated diversity antenna for wireless communications," IEEE Trans. on Antenna and Propaga., Vol. 49, 954-960, 2001. doi:10.1109/8.931154
28. Wong, K. L., Compact and Broadband Microstrip Antennas, Wiley, New York, 2002.