A high-speed triple-modulus frequency divider (FD) is designed and fabricated in a 90-nm CMOS process. With three pairs of nMOS switches inserted in the signal paths of the regenerative divider, the FD can offer three selectable division ratios of 1/2, 1/3, and 1/4. The corresponding behavior model of the proposed divider is utilized to explain the operation principle and analyze the locking range. From the experimental results, the divider consumes 6.8 mW of dc power from a 1.2-V supply voltage, and the locking ranges for the 1/2, 1/3, and 1/4 divide modes are 16-23.8, 12.3-18, and 16.8-22.8 GHz, respectively. The maximum input frequencies of 23.8, 18, and 22.8 GHz for the 1/2, 1/3, and 1/4 division modes are demonstrated that the divider is attractive for application to a frequency synthesizer.
1. Xia, Q., Z. X. Tang, and B. Zhang, "A Ku-band push-push dielectric resonator oscillator," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 14-15, 1859-1866, 2010.
2. Li, J.-Y., W.-J. Lin, and M.-P. Houng, "A second harmonic sup-pression CMOS cross-coupled VCO using active inductor technique for WLAN system applications," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 14-15, 2077-2086, 2010.
3. Zhou, H. F., Y. Han, S. R. Dong, and C. H. Wang, "An ultra-low-voltage high-performance VCO in 0.13 μm CMOS," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 22, No. 17-18, 2417-2426, 2008. doi:10.1163/156939308787543778
4. Jeong, M. I., J. N. Lee, and C. S. Lee, "Design of quasi-chaotic signal generation circuit for UWB chaotic-ook system," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 22, No. 13, 1725-1733, 2008. doi:10.1163/156939308786375208
5. You, Y.-H., J.-H. Kim, K.-I. Lee, and J.-H. Yi, "Fine carrier frequency synchronizer in multiband UWB radio systems," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 22, No. 10, 1380-1388, 2008. doi:10.1163/156939308786348875
6. Fernandez, M. G., S. Ver-Hoeye, C. Vazquez-Antuna, G. R. Hotopan, R. Camblor, and F. Las Heras, "Design and analysis of a multi-carrier Tx-Rx system based on rationally synchronized oscil-lators for localization applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 120, 1-16, 2011.
7. Peng, Y.-H. and L.-H. Lu, "A 16-GHz triple-modulus phase switching prescaler and its application to a 15-GHz frequency ynthesizer in 0.18-μm CMOS," IEEE Trans. on Microw. Theory and Tech., Vol. 55, No. 11, 44-51, Jan. 2007. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2006.886908
9. Chien, J.-C. and L.-H. Lu, "Analysis and design of wideband injection-locked ring oscillators with multiple-input injection," IEEE J. Solid-State Circuits, Vol. 42, No. 9, 1906-1915, Sep. 2007. doi:10.1109/JSSC.2007.903058
10. Jang, S.-L., J.-C. Luo, C.-W. Chang, C.-F. Lee, and J.-F. Huang, "LC-tank Colpitts injection-locked frequency divider with even and odd modulo," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 19, No. 2, 113-115, Feb. 2009. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2008.2011338
11. Huang, F. H., D. M. Lin, H. P.Wang, W. Y. Chiu, and Y. J. Chan, "20 GHz CMOS injection-locked frequency divider with variable division ratio," Proc. Radio Freq. Integr. Circuits Symp., 469472, Jun. 2005.
12. Mazzanti, A., L. Larcher, and F. Svelto, "Balanced CMOS LC-tank analog frequency dividers for quadrature LO generation," Proc. IEEE Custom Integr. Circuits Conf., 575-578, Sep. 2005.
13. Shibasaki, T., H. Tamura, K. Kanda, H. Yamahuchi, J. Ogawa, and T. Kuroda, "20-GHz quadrature injection-locked LC dividers with enhanced locking range," IEEE J. Solid-State Circuits, Vol. 43, No. 3, 610-618, Mar. 2008. doi:10.1109/JSSC.2007.916590
14. Luo, T.-N., S.-Y. Bai, and Y.-J. E. Chen, "A 60-GHz 0.13-μm divide-by-three frequency divider," IEEE Trans. on Microw. Theory and Tech., Vol. 56, No. 11, 2409-2415, Nov. 2008.
15. Mirzaei, A., M. E. Heidari, R. Bagheri, and A. A. Abidi, "Multi-phase injection widens lock range of ring-oscillator-based frequency dividers," IEEE J. Solid-State Circuits, Vol. 43, No. 3, 656-671, Mar. 2008. doi:10.1109/JSSC.2007.916602
16. Mirzaei, A., M. E. Heidari, and A. A. Abidi, "Analysis of oscillators locked by large injection signals: Generalized Alder's equation and geometrical interpretation," Proc. IEEE Custom Integr. Circuits Conf., 737-740, Sep. 2006.