Based on the Composite Right/Left-Handed (CRLH) Transmission Line (TL) approach this paper presents a 3-band T-Junction power divider. The proposed design strategy uses a stub-loaded TL for the right-handed portion of the line; this way, with respect to a conventional CRLH line, one more degree of freedom is available. Experimental and numerical results referring to a prototype using surface-mount capacitors and inductors are reported and discussed. It is demonstrated that the artificial transmission line (ATL) here presented is an optimum candidate for designing high-added value microwave devices. Furthermore, based on the use of metal-insulator-metal capacitors and short circuited stubs, a monolithic implementation is also proposed.
2. Lin, I-H., M. de Vincentis, C. Caloz, and T. Itoh, "Arbitrary dual-band components using composite right/left-handed transmission lines," IEEE Trans. on Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 52, 1142-1149, 2004.
3. Monti, G., R. de Paolis, and L. Tarricone, "Design of a 3-state reconfigurable CRLH transmission line based on MEMS switches," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 95, 283-297, 2009.
4. Lai, A., K. M. K. H. Leong, and T. Itoh, "Composite right/left-handed metamaterial antennas," Antenna Tech. Small Antennas and Novel Metamaterials, 404-407, 2006.
5. Caloz, C., A. Sanada, and T. Itoh, "A novel composite right-/left-handed coupled-line directional coupler with arbitrary coupling level and broad bandwidth," IEEE Trans. on Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 52, No. 3, 980-992, 2004.
6. Catarinucci, L., G. Monti, and L. Tarricone, "A parallel-grid-enabled variable-mesh FDTD approach for the analysis of slabs of double-negative metamaterials," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society, AP-S International Symposium (Digest), 782-785, 2005.
7. Smith, D. R., W. J. Padilla, D. C. Vier, S. C. Nemat-Nasser, and S. Schultz, "Composite medium with simultaneously negative permeability and permittivity," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 84, No. 18, 4184-4187, May 2000.
8. Monti, G. and L. Tarricone, "On the propagation of a Gaussian pulse in a double-negative slab," Proc. of 35th European Microwave Conference, 1419-1422, 2005.
9. Ziolkowski, R. W., "Pulsed and CW Gaussian beam interactions with double negative metamaterial slabs," Opt. Exp., Vol. 11, No. 7, 662-681, Apr. 2003.
10. Monti, G. and L. Tarricone, "A novel theoretical formulation for he analysis of the propagation of finite-bandwidth signals in a double-negative slab," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 47, No. 5, 434-439, 2005.
11. Monti, G. and L. Tarricone, "Gaussian pulse expansion of modulated signals in double-negative slab," IEEE Trans. on Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 54, No. 6, 2755-2761, 2006.
12. Saenz, E., A. Cantora, I. Ederra, R. Gonzalo, and P. de Maagt, "A metamaterial T-junction power divider," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Lett., Vol. 17, No. 3, 172-174, Mar. 2007.
13. Monti, G. and L. Tarricone, "Dispersion analysis of a planar negative group velocity-transmission line," Proceedings of the 37th European Microwave Conference, EUMC, 1644-1647, 2007.
14. Lin, I-H., C. Caloz, and T. Itoh, "A branch-line coupler with two arbitrary operating frequencies using left-handed transmission lines," IEEE MTT-S Dig., Vol. 1, 325-328, 2003.
15. Monti, G. and L. Tarricone, "Dual-band artificial transmission lines branch-line coupler," Int. Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-Aided Engineering Wiley, Vol. 18, No. 1, 53-62, Sep. 2007.
16. Monti, G. and L. Tarricone, "Reduced-size broadband ATL-CRLH rat-race coupler," Proc. 36th European Microwave Conf., 125-128, 2006.
17. Monti, G. and L. Tarricone, "Compact broadband monolithic 3-dB coupler by using artificial transmission lines," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 50, No. 10, 2662-2667, 2008.
18. Eccleston, K. W., L. Fan, and S. H. M.Ong, "Compact planar microstripline branch-line and rat-race couplers," IEEE Trans. on Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 51, No. 10, 2119-2125, 2003.
19. Corchia, L., G. Monti, and L. Tarricone, "MEMS-reconfigurable bandpass filter," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 50, No. 8, 2096-2099, 2008.