The intermittent sampling repeater jamming (ISRJ) can only produce fake point scatterers in the down-range, while the time-varying frequency induced by rotational micro-motion dynamics blurs the image in the cross-range. This paper focuses on the combination of the above two methods to counter the inverse synthetic aperture radar (ISAR). Based on the signal models of coherent ISAR signal processing, principles of the jamming are derived. The key jamming parameters and the selection criteria are determined by two steps. Finally, the validity of the proposed algorithm is demonstrated using the numeric simulations and simulations based on the measured data.
1. Chen, C. C. and H. C. Andrews, "Target-motion-induced radar imaging," IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 16, 2-14, 1980. doi:10.1109/TAES.1980.308873
2. Ausherman, D. A., A. Kozma, J. L. Walker, H. M. Jones, and E. C. Poggio, "Developments in radar imaging," IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems,, Vol. 20, 363-400, 1984. doi:10.1109/TAES.1984.4502060
3. Chen, V. C. and W. J. Miceli, "Simulation of ISAR imaging of moving targets," IEE Proceedings Radar, Sonar and Navigation, Vol. 148, 160-166, 2001. doi:10.1049/ip-rsn:20010384
4. Berizzi, E., "ISAR imaging of targets at low elevation angles," IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 31, 419-435, 2001. doi:10.1109/7.937459
5. Avent, R. K., J. D. Shelton, and P. Brown, "The ALCOR C-band imaging radar," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 38, 16-17, 1996. doi:10.1109/74.511949
6. Pace, P. E. , D. J. Fouts, S. Ekestorm, and C. Karow, "Digital false-target image synthesiser for countering ISAR," IEE Proc. --- Radar Sonar Navig., Vol. 149, 248-257, 2002. doi:10.1049/ip-rsn:20020635
7. Delaney, W. P. and W. W. Ward, "MIT Lincoln laboratory journal: Fifty years of radar," IEEE Aerospace and Electronic Systems Magazine, Vol. 18, 37-38, 2003. doi:10.1109/MAES.2003.1167330
8. Schuerger, J. and D. Garmatyuk, "Deception jamming modeling in radar sensor networks," Proceedings of IEEE Military Communications Conference (MILCOM'08), 1-7, Washington, DC, USA, 2008.
9. Xu, S. K., J. H. Liu, Y. W. Fu, and X. Li, "Deception jamming method for ISAR based on sub-Nyquist sampling technology ICSP'2010 Proceedings,", 2023-2026, 2010.
10. Li, J. and H. Ling, "Application of adaptive chirplet representation for ISAR feature extraction from targets with rotating parts," IEE Proceedings Online, Vol. 150, No. 20030729, 284-291, 2003.
11. Li, X., B. Deng, Y. L. Qin, H. Q. Wang, and Y. P. Li, "The influence of target micromotion on SAR and GMTI," IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 49, 2738-2751, 2011.
12. Li, K. M., X. J. Liang, Q. Zhang, Y. Luo, and H. J. Li, "Micro-doppler signature extraction and ISAR imaging for target with micromotion dynamics," IEEE Geoscience and Remote Sensing Letters, Vol. 8, 411-415, 2011. doi:10.1109/LGRS.2010.2081660
13. Chen, V. C., F. Li, S. S. Ho, and H. Wechsler, "Micro-doppler effect in radar-phenomenon, model, and simulation study," IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 24, 1-21, 2006.
14. Li, G., H. Zhang, and X. Q. Wang, "ISAR 2-D imaging of uniformly rotating targets via matching pursuit," IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 48, 1838-1846, 2012. doi:10.1109/TAES.2012.6178106
15. Bai, X. R., M. D. Xing, F. Zhou, G. Y. Lu, and Z. Bao, "Imaging of micromotion targets with rotating parts based on empirical-mode decomposition," IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 46, 3514-3523, 2008.
16. Bai, X. R. , F. Zhou, M. D. Xing, and Z. Bao, "High resolution ISAR imaging of targets with rotating parts," IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 47, 2530-2543, 2011. doi:10.1109/TAES.2011.6034649
17. Chen, V. C., "Doppler signatures of radar backscattering from objects with micro-motions," IET Signal Process., Vol. 2, 291-300, 2008. doi:10.1049/iet-spr:20070137
18. Thayaparan, T., G. Lampropoulos, S. K. Wong, and E. Rise-borough, "Application of adaptive joint time-frequency algorithm for focusing distorted ISAR images from simulated and measured radar data," IEE Proc. | Radar Sonar Navig., 213-220, 2003.
19. Ljubi·sa, S., D. Igor, and T. Thayaparan, "Separation of target rigid body and micro-doppler effects in ISAR imaging," IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 42, 1496-1506, 2006.
20. Zhang, Q., T. S. Yeo, H. S. Tan, and Y. Luo, "Imaging of a moving target with rotating parts based on the hough transform," IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 46, 291-299, 2008.
21. Luo, Y. , Q. Zhang, C. W. Qiu, X. J. Liang, and K. M. Li, "Micro-doppler effect analysis and feature extraction in ISAR imaging with stepped-frequency chirp signals," IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 48, , 2087-2098, 2010.
22. Bai, X. R., G. C. Sun, F. Zhou, M. D. Xing, and Z. Bao, "A novel ISAR jamming method based on rotating angular reflector," Chinese Journal of Radio Science, Vol. 23, 867-872, 2008.
24. Berger, S. D., "Digital radio frequency memory linear range gate stealer spectrum," IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 39, 725-735, 2003.
25. Zhang, Y., C. X. Dong, Y. P. Cui, and S. Q. Yang, "Coherent jamming technique countering ISAR," Acta Electronica Sinica, Vol. 34, 1590-1595, 2006. doi:10.2528/PIER12022111
26. Liu, Q., S. Xing, X. Wang, J. Dong, D. Dai, and Y. Li, "The 'Slope' effect of coherent transponder in InSAR DEM," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 127, 351-370, 2012.
27. Zhu, B. Y., L. Xue, and D. P. Bi, "A micro-motion feature deception jamming method to ISAR," ICSP'2010 Proceedings, 2287-2290, 2010.
28. Zhu, B. Y., L. Xue, and D. P. Bi, "A novel method of ISAR jamming based on synthesizing equivalent micro-motion point," Modern Radar, 33-36, 2011. doi:10.1007/s11432-011-4431-4
29. Feng, D. J., H. M. Tao, Y. Yang, and Z. Liu, "Jamming de-chirping radar using interrupted-sampling repeater," Science China: Information Sciences, Vol. 54, 2138-2146, 2011. doi:10.1007/s11432-007-2017-y
30. Wang, X. S., J. C. Liu, W. M. Zhang, Q. X. Fu, Z. Liu, and X. X. Xie, "Mathematic principles of interrupted-sampling repeater jamming (ISRJ)," Science in China, Series F: Information Sciences, Vol. 50, 113-123, 2007. doi:10.1109/TAES.1971.310366
31. Caputi, W. J., "Stretch: A time-transformation technique," IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 7, 269-278, 1971.
32. Schleher, D. C., Electronic Warfare in the Information Age, Artech House, London, 1999.
33. Gini, F. and G. B. Giannakis, "Hybrid FM-polynomial phase signal modeling: Parameter estimation and Cramer-Rao bounds," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 47, 363-377, 1994.