Novel reconfigurable frequency selective surfaces (RFSS) are designed using a finite-difference time-domain with periodic boundary condition (FDTD/PBC) algorithm. The FSS are reconfigured using two techniques: the first technique providing a wide frequency tuning range is based on using diodes to change the current distribution over the FSS surface, and the second technique exhibiting a finer frequency tuning resolution is based on changing the grid orientation of the FSS mechanically. Simulation results are provided to validate the concept of RFSS. The results show that these designs provide a wide dynamic range of reconfigurability and a large degree of freedom in controlling the FSS frequency response.
2. Chang, T. K., R. J. Langley, and E. A. Parker, "Frequency selective surfaces on biased ferrite substrates," IEE Electronic Letter, Vol. 30, No. 15, 1193-1194, 1994.
3. Bossard, J. A., D. H. Werner, T. S. Mayer, and R. P. Drupp, "A novel design methodology for reconfigurable frequency selective surfaces using genetic algorithms," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 53, No. 4, 1390-1400, 2005.
4. Pirhadi, A., F. Keshmiri, M. Hakkak, and M. Tayarani, "Analysis and design of dual band high directive EBG resonator antenna using square loop FSS as superstrate layer," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,, Vol. 70, 1-20, 2007.
5. Zhang, J.-C. , Y.-Z. Yin, and R. Yi, "Resonant characteristics of frequency selective surfaces on ferrite substrates," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 95, 355-364, 2009.
6. Kristensson , G., M. Akerberg, and S. Poulsen, "Scattering from a frequency selective surface supported by a bianisotropic substrate," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 35, 83-114, 2002.
7. Qing, A. and C. K. Lee, "An improved model for full wave analysis of multilayered frequency selective surface with gridded square element," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 30, , 285-303, 2001.
8. ElMahgoub, K., F. Yang, A. Z. Elsherbeni, V. Demir, and J. Chen, "FDTD analysis of periodic structures with arbitrary skewed grid," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 58, No. 8, 2649-2657, 2010.
9. Aminian, A., F. Yang, and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "Bandwidth determination for soft and hard ground planes by spectral FDTD: A unified approach in visible and surface wave regions," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 53, No. 1, 18-28, 2005.
10. ElMahgoub, K., F. Yang, A. Z. Elsherbeni, V. Demir, and J. Chen, "FDTD analysis of periodic structures with arbitrary skewed grid," Proc. IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, 2010.
11. ElMahgoub, K., F. Yang, and A. Z. Elsherbeni, "Design and analysis of reconfigurable frequency selective surfaces using FDTD," Procedures of the Applied Computational Electromagnetics Society, 2011.
12. Yang, F., J. Chen, R. Qiang, and A. Z. Elsherbeni, "A simple and efficient FDTD/PBC algorithm for scattering analysis of periodic structures," Radio Sci., Vol. 42, RS4004, Jul. 2007.
13. ElMahgoub, K., F. Yang, and A. Z. Elsherbeni, "FDTD/GSM analysis of multilayered periodic structures with arbitrary skewed grid," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 59, No. 12, 3264-3271, 2011.
14. ElMahgoub, K., F. Yang, A. Z. Elsherbeni, V. Demir, and J. Chen, "Analysis of multilayered periodic structures using a hybrid FDTD/GSM method," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 54, No. 2, 57-73, 2012.
15. ElMahgoub, K., A. Z. Elsherbeni, and F. Yang, "Dispersive periodic boundary conditions for finite-difference time-domain method," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 60, No. 4, 2118-2122, 2012.
16. Elsherbeni, A. and V. Demir, The Finite Difference Time Domain Method for Electromagnetics: With MATLAB Simulations, SciTech Publishing, 2009.
17., , Data Sheet of MA4GP907 GaAs Flip Chip PIN, http://www.macomtech.com/datasheets/MA4GP907.pdf.
18. Yang, F. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "Patch antenna with switchable slots (PASS) in wireless communications: Concepts, designs, and applications," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 47, No. 2, 13-29, 2005.
19., , MATLAB distributed by mathworks, www.mathworks.com.
20., , HFSS Software is distributed by the ANSYS Corporation: http://www.ansys.com/.