This paper shows the design of a reduced size system that drives local oscillator (LO) signal generated by a voltage controlled oscillator (VCO) in the transceiver system, which is based on I and Q architecture. The aim of this work is to obtain a small system capable to drive two differential mixers and one phase locked loop block with high power efficiency. The entire system drives two differential outputs to their respective mixers with a minimum differential LO power of -1 dBm and a maximum of 0 dBm between 56.5 and 60 GHz. The system furnishes -7dBm to the PLL, allowing the control of the carrier. The output ports are matched at 50 Ω and they achieve a reflection loss under 10 dB in the whole band of interest. The power consumption of the entire system is 58 mW. The size including RF and DC pads is 0.6×0.7 mm2.
2. Pei, Y., Y. Chen, D. M. Leenaerts, and R. Mahmoudi, "A phase-shifting up-converter for 30 GHz phased array applications," IEEE Radio Frequency Integrated Circuits Symposium (RFIC), 499-502, Jun. 2012.
3. Kraemer, M., D. Dragomirescu, and R. Plana, "A high efficiency differential 60 GHz VCO in a 65nm CMOS technology for WSN," IEEE Applications Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 21, 314-316, 2011.
4. Ercoli, M., D. Dragomirescu, and R. Plana, "Small size high isolation Wilkinson power splitter for 60 GHz wireless sensor network applications," 2011 IEEE 11th Topical Meeting on Silicon Monolithic Integrated Circuits in RF Systems (SiRF), 85-88, 2011.
5. Jung, , D. Y. and C. S. Park, "Cgs compensating V-band resistive mixer with low conversion loss at low LO power," Electronics Letters, Vol. 46, No. 6, 458-459, Mar. 2010.
6. Kraemer, M., M. Ercoli, D. Dragomirescu, and R. Plana, "A wideband single-balanced down-mixer for the 60 GHz band in 65nm CMOS," 2010 Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference Proceedings (APMC), 1849-1852, 2010.
7. Kuo, H.-C., C.-Y. Yang, J.-F. Yeh, H.-R. Chuang, and T.-H. Huang, "Design of a 60-GHz down-converting dual-gate mixer in 130-nm CMOS technology," EuMC 2009, 405-408, Oct. 2009.
8. Shahroury, F. R. and C.-Y. Wu, "The design of low LO-power 60-GHz CMOS quadrature-balanced self-switching current-mode mixer," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 18, No. 10, 692-694, Oct. 2008.