A new planar bow-tie antenna is proposed here for UWB applications. The self-complementary principle has been applied to a planar triangular monopole antenna along with bending the microstrip feed line. The antenna has a wider frequency band compared to the traditional bow-tie antenna, complies with the UWB requirements and it is directly matched to the (SMA) connector via 50 Ω microstrip feed line. This antenna has a simple shape which overcomes the complicated matching techniques using baluns or impedance matching sections that are commonly used in bow-tie antennas for widening their limited bandwidths. Another improvement on this new bow-tie antenna is achieved through fractal self-similarity repetition of the triangular shape on each of the patch and its complimentary slot. The simulation results obtained from the CST and HFSS software packages are verified by experimental measurements.
2. Yeo, J., Y. Lee, and R. Mittra, "Wideband slot antennas for wireless communications," IEE Proc. Microwaves Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 151, 351-355, 2004.
3. Ying, C., G. Li, and Y. Zhang, "An LTCC planar ultra-wideband antenna," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 42, 220-222, 2004.
4. Lin, C., Y. Kan, L. Kuo, and H. Chuang, "A planar triangular monopole antenna for UWB communication," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 15, No. 10, 624-626, 2005.
5. Lee, S., J. Park, and J. Lee, "A novel CPW-fed ultra-wideband antenna design," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 44, 393-396, 2005.
6. Liang, J., C. Chiau, X. Chen, and C. Parini, "Study of a printed circular disc monopole antenna for UWB systems," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 53, No. 11, 3500-3504, 2005.
7. Wang, L., W.Wu, X.-W. Shi, F.Wei, and Q.-L. Huang, "Design of a novel monopole UWB antenna with a notched ground," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 5, 13-20, 2008.
8. Low, X. N., Z. N. Chen, and T. S. P. See, "A UWB dipole antenna with enhanced impedance and gain performance," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 57, No. 10, 2959-2966, Oct. 2009.
9. Karakolak, T. and E. Topsakal, "A double-sided rounded bow-tie antenna (DSRBA) for UWB communication," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 5, 2006.
10. Cappelletti, G., D. Caratelli, R. Cicchetti, and M. Simeoni, "A low-profile printed drop-shaped dipole antenna for wide-band wireless applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 59, No. 10, 3526-3535, Oct. 2011.
11. Mushiake, Y., "Self-complementary antennas," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 34, No. 6, 23-29, Dec. 1992.
12. Lestari, A. A. , A. B. Suksmono, A. Kurniawan, E. Bharata, A. G. Yarovoy, and L. P. Ligthart, "Modified bow-tie antenna for e±cient transmission of UWB pulses," Proceedings of ISAP' 04, 521-524, Sendai, Japan, 2004.
13. Yamini, A. H. and M. Soleimani, "Multiband behavior of wideband sierpinski fractal bow-tie antenna," The European Conference on Wireless Technology, 503-506, Paris, France, Oct. 2005.
14. Ng, C. H. , S. Uysal, and M. S. Leong, "Microstrip bowtie patch antenna for wireless indoor communications," Radio and Wireless Conference, RAWCON' 98, 205-207, Colorado Springs, CO, Aug. 1998.
15. Rufus, E., Z. C. Alex, and P. V. Chaitanya, "A modified bow-tie antenna for microwave imaging applications," Journal of Microwaves, Optoelectronics and Electromagnetic Applications, Vol. 7, No. 2, 115-122, Dec. 2008.
16. Gomaa, A. M., D. A.-E. Mohamed, and M. A. Mangoud, "Double-sided printed triangular bow-tie antenna for UWB communications," Proceeding of the 17th International Conference on Computer Theory and Applications, Alexandria, Egypt, Aug. 2007.
17. Zheng, G., A. Z. Elsherbeni, and C. E. Smith, "A coplanar waveguide bow-tie aperture antenna," Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, 564-567, San Antonio, Texas, Aug. 2002.
18. Mehdipour, A., C. W. Trueman, A. R. Sebak, and S. V. Hoa, "Carbon-fiber composite T-match folded bow-tie antenna for RFID applications," Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, Charleston, SC, 2009.
19. Joshi, R. K. and A. R. Harish, "A modified bow-tie antenna for dual band applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 6, 468-471, 2007.
20. Mahmoud, K. R., "Design optimization of a bow-tie antenna for 2.45 GHz RFID readers using a hybrid BSO-NM algorithm," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 100, 105-117, 2010.
21. Eldek, A. A., A. Z. Elsherbeni, and C. E. Smith, "Wideband microstrip-fed printed bow-tie antenna for phased-array systems," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 43, No. 2, 123-126, Oct. 2004.
22. Zhang, F., F.-S. Zhang, Y.-B. Yang, and Z. Zhang, "Wide band antenna array using bowtie-shaped microstrip patch antenna," ICMMT 2010 Proceedings, 424-427, Chengdu, China, May 2010.
23. Kraus, J. D., Antennas, 2nd Ed., 67, McGraw-Hill, New York, 1988.
24. Persico, R., "Design of a balun for a bow tie antenna in reconfigurable ground penetrating radar systems," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 18, 123-135, 2011.
25. Kubota, S., X. Xiao, N. Sasaki, K. Kimoto, and T. Kikkawa, "Characteristics of UWB bow-tie antenna integrated with balun for breast cancer detection," Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, Charleston, SC, 2009.
26. Eldek, A. A., A. Z. Elsherbeni, and C. E. Smith, "Wide-band modified printed bow-tie antenna with single and dual polarization for C- and X-band applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 53, No. 9, 3067-3072, Oct. 2009.
27. Liu, J., D. Zhao, and B.-Z. Wang, "A beveled and slot-loaded planar bow-tie antenna for UWB application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 2, 37-46, 2008.
28. Sadek, S. and Z. Katabay, "Ultra wideband CPW bow-tie antenna," International Conference on Electromagnetics in Advanced Applications, 261-263, Torino, 2009.
29. Wu, S.-J. and T.-G. Ma, "A slotted bow-tie antenna with reconfigurable CPW-to-slotline transition for pattern diversity," Proceedings of ISAP2007, 720-723, Niigata, Japan, Aug. 2007.
30. Sayidmarie, K. H. and Y. A. Fadhel, "UWB fractal monopoles of rectangular and triangular shapes," Proceedings of MAPE2011, 709-712, Beijing, China, 2011.
31. Ray, K. P., "Design aspects of printed monopole antennas for ultra-wide band applications," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 2008, 1-8, 2008.
32. Ray, K. P., S. S. Thakur, and R. A. Deshmukh, "Broadbanding a printed rectangular monopole antenna," Applied Electromagnetics Conference (AEMC), 1-4, Kolkata, India, Dec. 2009.