This paper presents a novel design of stacked dual layer strip lines fed patch antenna. The wideband characteristics can be achieved by employing approximate L-probes coupling feeding schemes. Dual layer strip lines which are composed of one broadband 180° hybrid and two wideband 90° hybrids are introduced as feeding network in this design. As a result, the designed antenna has a 59.4% 10-dB input reflection coefficient bandwidth and 48.3% 3-dB axial ratio (AR) bandwidth relative to the center frequency respectively. The designed antenna occupies a compact size of 80 mm×80 mm×32 mm. The final antenna provides a very good circularly polarized radiation for Global Navigation Satellite System applications including GPS, GLONASS, Galileo and Compass.
2. Kilgus, C., "Resonant quadrifilar helix," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 17, No. 3, 349-351, 1969.
3. Amin, M. and R. Cahill, "Compact quadrifilar helix antenna," Electronics Letters, Vol. 41, 672-674, 2005.
4. Huang, J. and V. Jamnejad, "A microstrip array feed for land mobile satellite reflector antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 37, No. 2, 153-158, 1989.
5. Chebolu, S., S. Dey, R. Mittra, and M. Itoh, "A dual-band stacked microstrip antenna array for mobile satellite applications," Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, AP-S. Digest, Vol. 1, 598-601, 1995.
6. Wu, J. Y., J. S. Row, and K. L. Wong, "A compact dual-band microstrip patch antenna suitable for DCS/GPS operations," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 29, No. 6, 410-412, 2001.
7. Guo, Y. X., L. Bian, and X. Q. Shi, "Broadband circularly polarized annular-ring microstrip antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 57, No. 8, 2474-2477, 2009.
8. Zhou, Y., C. C. Chen, and J. L. Volakis, "Dual band proximity-fed stacked patch antenna for tri-band GPS applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 55, No. 1, 220-223, Jan. 2007.
9. Wang, Z. B., S. J. Fang, S. Q. Fu, and S. W. Lu, "Dual-band probe-fed stacked patch antenna for GNSS applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 8, 100-103, 2009.
10. Pimenta, M. S., F. Ferrero, R. Staraj, and J. M. Ribero, "Low-pofile circularly polarized GNSS antenna," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 54, No. 12, 2811-2814, 2012.
11. Ma, J. P., A. B. Kouki, and R. Landry Jr., "Wideband circularly polarized single probe-fed patch anteena," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 54, No. 8, 1803-1808, 2012.
12. Moernaut, G. J. K. and G. A. E. Vandenbosch, "Concept study of a shorted annular patch antenna: Design and fabrication on a conducting cylinder," a conducting cylinder Propagation, Vol. 59, No. 1, 2097-2102, Jan. 2011.
13. Kasabegoudar, V. G. and K. J. Vinoy, "A broadband suspended microstrip antenna for circular polarization," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 90, 353-368, 2009.
14. Bao, , X. L. and M. J. Ammann, "Comparison of several novel annular-ring microstrip patch antennas for circular polarization," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 20, 1427-1438, 2006.
15. Liu, W. C. and P. C. Kao, "Design of a probe-fed H-shaped microstrip antenna for circular polarization," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 7, 857-864, 2007.
16. Chang, T. N. and J. H. Jiang, "Enhance gain and bandwidth of circularly polarized microstrip patch antenna using gap-coupled method," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 96, 127-139, 2009.
17. Heidari, A. A., M. Heyrani, and M. Nakhkash, "A dual-band circularly polarized stub loaded microstrip patch antenna for GPS applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 92, 195-208, 2009.
18. Yang, S. S., K.-F. Lee, A. A. Kishk, and K.-M. Luk, "Design and study of wideband single feed circularly polarized microstrip antennas," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 80, 45-61, 2008.
19. Wu, G.-L., W. Mu, G. Zhao, and Y.-C. Jiao, "A novel design of dual circularly polarized antenna fed by L-strip," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 79, 39-46, 2008.
20. Yu, A., F. Yang, and A. Z. Elsherbeni, "A dual band circularly polarized ring antenna based on composite right and left handed metamaterials," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 78, 73-81, 2008.
21. Zhou, Y. , S. Koulouridis, G. Kizitas, and J. L. Volakis, "A novel 1.5‘’ quadruple antenna for tri-band GPS applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 5, 224-227, 2006.
22. Zheng, L. and S. Gao, "Compact dual-band printed square quadr¯lar helix antenna for global navigation satellite system receivers," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 53, No. 5, 993-997, 2011.
23. Ansoft high frequency structure simulation (HFSS), , Ver. 13, ANSYS, Inc., Canonsburg, PA, 2011.