In this paper, broadband transitions from substrate integrated coaxial line (SICL) to a conductor-backed coplanar waveguide (CBCPW) are proposed and designed. Measurement results show that the insertion loss and return loss are better than -0.5 dB and -10 dB, respectively from 0 to 13 GHz. Then, for verifying the performance of SICL and the validity of SICL transition design, a 3 dB SICL rat-race coupler operating at 2.3 GHz is designed, fabricated, and measured. Compared with the conventional microstrip line coupler, this SICL coupler maintains good performance but with a remarkable 24% reduction in size. At last, a 10 dB dual-band coupled SICL coupler operating at 2.4/5.8 GHz is proposed, and the measured results agree well with the schematic and electromagnetic simulated results. The measured results demonstrate that the fabricated bandwidths are 30% and 12.8%, the |S31| are -10.1 dB and -10.3 dB, the directivities are 18 dB and 20 dB at the low (2.4 GHz) and high (5.8 GHz) operating frequencies, respectively. Compare with the dual-band coupled microstrip line coupler, performance of the dual-band coupled SICL coupler is enhanced.
2. Wu, K., "Substrate integrated circuits (SICs) for low-cost high-density integration of millimeter-wave wireless systems," IEEE Radio and Wireless Symp., 683-686, 2008.
3. Bozzi, M. , A. Georgiadis, and K. Wu, "Review of substrate-integrated waveguide circuits and antennas," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 5, 909-920, 2011.
4. Gatti, F., M. Bozzi, L. Perregrini, K. Wu, and R. G. Bosisio, "A novel substrate integrated coaxial line (SICL) for wide-band applications," 36th European Microwave Conference, 1614-1617, 2006.
5. Gatti, F., M. Bozzi, L. Perregrini, K. Wu, and R. G. Bosisio, "A new wide-band six-port junction based on substrate integrated coaxial line (SICL) technology," IEEE Mediterranean Electrotechnical Conference, 367-370, 2006.
6. Zhu, F., W. Hong, J.-X. Chen, and K. Wu, "Ultra-wideband single and dual baluns based on substrate integrated coaxial line technology," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 60, No. 10, 3062-3070, 2012.
7. Zhou, Y. and S. Lucyszyn, "Modelling of reconfigurable terahertz integrated architecture (Retina) SIW structures," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 105, 71-92, 2010.
8. Urbano, D., E. Arnieri, G. Cappuccino, and G. Amendola, "Simulation and timing performances of integrated waveguides for ultra-high speed interconnects," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 50, 666-672, 2008.
9. Liang, W. and W. Hong, "Substrate integrated coaxial line 3 dB coupler," Electronics Letters, Vol. 48, 35-36, 2012.
10. Song, K. and Y. Fan, "Ku-band substrate integrated waveguide transitions between layers," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 51, 2585-2588, 2009.
11. Deslandes, D. and K. Wu, "Analysis and design of current probe transition from grounded coplanar to substrate integrated rectangular waveguides," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 53, 2487-2494, 2005.
12. Chen, X. P. and K. Wu, "Low-loss ultra-wideband transition between conductor-backed coplanar waveguide and substrate integrated waveguide," IEEE MTT-S Int. Microwave Symp. Dig., 349-352, 2009.
13. Koziel, S. and S. Ogurtsov, "Design of broadband transitions for substrate integrated circuits," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 53, 2942-2945, 2011.
14. Lee, S., S. Jung, and H. Y. Lee, "Ultra-wideband CPW-to-substrate integrated waveguide transition using an elevated-CPW section," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 18, 746-748, 2008.
15. Zhang, Q. L., W. Y. Yin, S. He, and L. S. Wu, "Evanescent-mode substrate integrated waveguide (SIW) filters implemented with complementary split ring resonators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 111, 419-432, 2011.
16. Xu, Z. Q., Y. Shi, P. Wang, J. X. Liao, and X. B. Wei, "Substrate integrated waveguide (SIW) filter with hexagonal resonator," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 26, No. 11-12, 1521-1527, 2012.
17. Jedrzejewski, A., N. Leszczynska, L. Szydlowski, and M. Mrozowski, "Zero-pole approach to computer aided design of in-Line SIW filters with transmission zeros," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 131, 517-533, 2012.
18. Masa-Campos, J. L. , P. Rodriguez-Fernandez, M. Sierra-Peerez, and J. L. Fernandez-Jambrina, "Monopulse circularly polarized SIW slot array antenna in millimetre band," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 25, No. 5-6, 857-868, 2011.
19. Corona-Chavez, A. and T. Itoh, "Novel miniaturized triplexer using substrate integrated technology," Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference Proceedings, 678-681, 2010.
20. Liu, Y., X. H. Tang, and T. Wu, "SIW-based low phase-noise millimeter-wave planar dual-port voltage-controlled oscillator," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications,, Vol. 26, No. 8-9, 1059-1069, 2012.
21. Li, J., Y. Wu, Y. Liu, J. Shen, S. Li, and C. Yu, "A generalized coupled-line dual-band Wilkinson power divider with extended ports," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 129, 197-214, 2012.
22. Wu, Y., Y. Liu, and Q. Xue, "An analytical approach for a novel coupled-line dual-band Wilkinson power divider," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 59, No. 2, 286-294, 2011.
23. Li, B., X. Wu, N. Yang, and W. Wu, "Dual-band equal/unequal wilkinson power dividers based on coupled-line section with short-circuited stub," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 111, 163-178, 2011.
24. Lin, Z. and Q.-X. Chu, "A novel approach to the design of dual-band power divider with variable power dividing ratio based on coupled-lines," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 103, 271-284, 2010.
25. Lee, S. and Y. Lee, "A uniform coupled-line dual-band filter with different bandwidths," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 20, No. 10, 545-547, 2010.
26. Chen, X. W., L. Li, Y. Zhang, Y. Geng, and W. Zhang, "Balanced dual-band bandpass filter based on asymmetrical coupled lines," Electromagnetics, Vol. 32, No. 1, 1-7, 2012.
27. Wang, X., W.-Y. Yin, and K.-L. Wu, "A dual-band coupled-line coupler with an arbitrary coupling coefficient," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 60, No. 4, 945-951, 2012.
28. Li, S., B. Tang, Y. Liu, S. Li, C. Yu, and Y. Wu, "Miniaturized dual-band matching technique based on coupled-line transformer for dual-band power amplifiers design," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 131, 195-210, 2012.
29. Lo, W. T., C. C. Tzuang, S. T. Peng, C. C. Tien, C. C. Chang, and J. W. Huang, "Resonant phenomena in conductor-backed coplanar waveguides (CBCPW's)," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 41, 2099-2108, 1993.
30. Pozar, D. M., "Microwave Engineering," Wiley, 352, 2005.