In this paper we develop a small-sized mode converter with high performance, high conversion efficiency and instantaneous bandwidth as high as 55%. This mode converter transforms energy from the TM01 first high-order mode towards the fundamental TE11 circular waveguide mode. The proposed structure increases the free spurious operating bandwidth in comparison with the existing results in literature. An X/Ku-bands experiment prototype unit was designed, ensuring practical return losses better than 28 dB and insertion losses less than 0.1 dB (conversion efficiency > 98.8%) within the entire frequency bandwidth ranging from 9.25 GHz to 16.25 GHz. The presented architecture offers useful features such as very wide bandwidth, small size, easy achievement as well as excellent performance, which makes it very suitable for High-power microwave (HPM) sources that generate the TM01 circular waveguide mode. In these cases the TE11 mode is needed since it has a convergent radiation pattern able to drive conventional antennas. Moreover, this compact concept is fully scalable to any millimeter frequency band.
2. Yang, S. W. and H. F. Li, "Optimization of novel high-power millimeter wave TM01-TE11 mode converters," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 45, No. 4, 552-554, Apr. 1997.
3. Ling, G. S. and J. J. Zhou, "Converters for the TE11 mode generation from TM01 vircator at 4 GHz," Chinese Phys. Lett., Vol. 18, 1285-1287, 2001.
4. Lee, B. M., W. S. Lee, Y. J. Yoon, and J. H. So, "X-band TM01-TE11 mode converter with short length for high power," Electronics Letters, Vol. 40, No. 18, Sep. 2, 2004.
5. Lee, W. S., K. S. Park, B. M. Lee, Y. J. Ywn. J. So, and W. Y. Song, "X-band TM01-TE11 mode converter," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, Vol. 2, 1531-1534, 2004.
6. Sakrabarty, S. B., V. K. Singh, and S. B. Sharma, "TM01 mode transducer using circular and rectangular waveguides," International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-aided Engineering, Vol. 20, No. 3, May 2010.
7. Lee, B. M., S. H. Lee, S. Kwon, Y. J. Yoon, and J. H. So, "The design of X-band non-constant serpentine TM01-TE11 mode converter with short length," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, 2005.
8. Yuan, C. W, Q. X. Liu, H. H. Zhong, and B. L. Qian, "A novel TEM-TE11 mode converter," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 15, No. 8, Aug. 2005.
9. Eisenhart, R. L., "A novel wide band TM01 to TE11 mode converter," IEEE MTT-S Int. Microw. Symp. Dig., 249-252, 1998.
10. Yuan, C. W, H. H. Zhong, Q. X. Liu, and B. L. Qian, "A novel TM01-TE11 circularly polarized (CP) mode converter," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 16, No. 8, Aug. 2006.
11. Mediavilla, A, J. L. Cano, and K. Cepero, "On octave bandwidth properties of octagonal-shaped waveguide mode transformers," IEEE Tran. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 59, No. 10, 2447-2451, Oct. 2011.
12. Mician μWave-Wizard, "Mode matching, fast hybrid MM/boundary contour and MM/2D finite element analysis and optimization tool,".