A new design of a compact circularly polarized shorted annular stacked patch antenna has been introduced for Global Navigation Satellite System (GNSS) in this paper. The wideband characteristic is achieved by employing L-probe coupled feeding structure. The antenna is fed by four-output-ports strip line feeding network composed of three normal Wilkinson power dividers. As a result, the designed antenna has an effective bandwidth of 94.3% from 0.7 GHz to 1.95 GHz for VSWR< 2, and 57.1% 3-dB axial ratio bandwidth from 1.0 GHz to 1.8 GHz, respectively. The designed antenna has a compact size of 100 mm×100 mm×13 mm. The final antenna provides very good circularly polarized radiation for GNSS including GPS, GLONASS, Galileo and Compass.
2. James, J. R., P. S. Hall, and C. Wood, Microstrip Antenna: Theory and Design, IET, 1981.
3. Garg, R., Microstrip Antenna Design Handbook, Artech House, 2001.
4. Wong, K., Compact and Broadband Microstrip Antennas, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 2002.
5. Schaubert, D. H. and F. G. Farrar, "Some conformal printed circuit antenna designs," Proceedings of the Workshop Printed Circuit Antenna Technology, Vol. 20, 125-128, 1979.
6. Crog, F. and D. M. Pozar, "Millimeter wave design of wideband aperture coupled stacked microstrip antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 39, 1770-1776, 1991.
7. Pues, H. F. and A. R. V. D. Capelle, "An impedance-matching technique for increasing the bandwidth of microstrip antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 37, 1345-1354, 1989.
8. Zhou, Y., S. Koulouridis, G. Kizitas, and J. L. Volakis, "A novel 1。5'' quadruple antenna for tri-band GPS applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 5, 224-227, 2006.
9. Zhou, Y., C. C. Chen, and J. L. Volakis, "Dual band proximity-fed stacked patch antenna for tri-band GPS applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 55, No. 1, 220-223, 2007.
10. Wang, Z. B., S. J. Fang, S. Q. Fu, and S. W. Lu, "Dual-band probe-fed stacked patch antenna for GNSS applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 8, 100-103, 2009.
11. Pimenta, M. S., F. Ferrero, R. Staraj, and J. M. Ribero, "Low-pofile circularly polarized GNSS antenna," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 54, No. 12, 2811-2814, 2012.
12. Ma, J. P., A. B. Kouki, and R. Landry Jr., "Wideband circularly polarized single probe-fed patch anteena," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 54, No. 8, 1803-1808, 2012.
13. Zheng, L. and S. Gao, "Compact dual-band printed square quadrfilar helix antenna for global navigation satellite system receivers," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 53, No. 5, 993-997, 2011.
14. Moernaut, G. J. K. and G. A. E. Vandenbosch, "Concept study of a shorted annular patch antenna: Design and fabrication on a conducting cylinder," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 59, No. 1, 2097-2102, 2011.
15. Bao, X. L. and M. J. Ammann, "Comparison of several novel annular-ring microstrip patch antennas for circular polarization," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 11, 1427-1438, 2006.
16. Liu, W.-C. and P.-C. Kao, "Design of a probe-fed H-shaped microstrip antenna for circular polarization," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 7, 857-864, 2007.
17. Heidari, A. A., M. Heyrani, and M. Nakhkash, "A Dual-band circularly polarized stub loaded microstrip patch antenna for GPS applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 92, 195-208, 2009.
18. Wu, G.-L., W. Mu, G. Zhao, and Y.-C. Jiao, "A novel design of dual circularly polarized antenna fed by L-strip," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 79, 39-46, 2008.
19. Yu, A. , F. Yang, and A. Z. Elsherbeni, "A dual band circularly polarized ring antenna based on composite right and left handed metamaterials," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 78, 73-81, 2008.
20. Boccia, L., G. Amendola, and G. D. Massa, "Performance evaluation of shorted annular patch antennas for high-precision GPS systems," IET Microwave Antennas Propagation, Vol. 1, 465-471, 2007.