A 1 x 3 element linear array using cylindrical dielectric resonator antennas (CDRAs) is designed and presented for 802.11a WLAN system applications. The top and bottom elements of CDRA array are excited through the rectangular coupling slots etched on the ground plane, while the slots themselves are excited through the microstrip transmission line. The third element (i.e., central CDRA) is excited through the mutual coupling of two radiating elements by its sides. This mechanism enhances the bandwidth (96.1%) and gain (14.3%) as compared to aperture coupled technique. It is also observed that the side lobe levels are reduced over the designed frequency band. Using CST microwave studio, directivity of 10.5 dBi has been achieved for operating frequency of 5.6 GHz. Designed antenna array is fabricated and tested. Simulated and measured results are in good agreement. The equivalent lumped element circuit is also designed and presented using Advanced design system (ADS) for this proposed array.
2. Long, S., et al., "The resonant cylindrical dielectric cavity antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 31, 406-412, 1983.
3. Luk, K. M. and K. W. Leung, Dielectric Resonator Antennas,, Research Studies Press Ltd., Baldock, Hertfordshire, England, 2003.
4. Huang, Y. and K. Boyl, Antennas: From Theory to Practice, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., 2008.
5. Petosa, A., Dielectric Resonator Antennas Handbook, Artech House, 2007.
6. Yau, D. and M. V. Shuley, "Numerical analysis of an aperture coupled rectangular dielectric resonator antenna using a surface formulation and the method of moments," IEE Proceedings --- Microwaves, Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 146, 105-110, 1999.
7. Sreekantan, S., Y. K. Ling, Z. A. Ahmad, M. F. Ain, M. A. Othman, and S. I. S. Hassan, "Simulation and experimental investigators on rectangular, circular and cylindrical dielectric resonator antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 7, 151-166, 2009.
8. Lin, C.-H., G.-Y. Chen, J.-S. Sun, K.-K. Tiong, T.-H. Peng, Y.-H. Chen, and Y. D. Chen, "Cylindrical DR antenna design," PIERS Proceedings, 329-330, Beijing, China, Mar. 23-27, 2009.
9. Raggad, H., M. Latrach, T. Razban, and A. Gharsallah, "Cylindrical dielectric resonator antenna fed by a stair slot in the ground plane of a microstripline," 2011 XXXth URSI General Assembly and Scientific Symposium, 1-4, 2011.
10. Ain, M. F., Y. M. A. Qasaymeh, Z. A. Ahmad, M. A. Zakariya, M. A. Othman, S. S. Olokede, and M. Z. Abdullah, "Novel modeling and design of circularly polarized dielectric resonator antenna array," Progress In Electrimagnetic Research C, Vol. 28, 165-179, 2012.
11. Ahmed, O. and A.-R. Sebak, "Mutual coupling effect on ultrawideband linear antenna array performance," International Journal of Antenna and Propogation, Vol. 2011, Artical ID 142581, 11 pages, 2011.
12. Mongia, R. K. and P. Bhartia, "Dielectric resonator antennas --- A review and general design relations for resonant frequency and bandwidth," International Journal of Microwave and Millimeter-Wave Computer-Aided Engineering, Vol. 4, No. 3, 230-247, 1994.
13. Collin, R. E., Foundations for Microwave Engineering, 2nd Ed., Wiley-IEEE Press, 2000.
14. Chang, D.-C. and S.-H. Yen, "High gain antenna array with finite ground plane for IEEE802.11a WiFi application," 2011 IEEE International Workshop on Electromagnetics, Applications and Student Innovation (iWEM), 125-129, 2011.
15. Ain, M. F., Y. M. A. Qasaymeh, Z. A. Ahmad, M. A. Zakariya, M. A. Othman, A. A. Sulaiman, A. Othman, S. D. Hutagalung, and M. Z. Abdullah, "A novel 5.8 GHz high gain array dielectric resonator antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 15, 201-210, 2010.