In this paper, the design of an array of wideband combined antenna elements is presented. A TEM horn antenna is combined with magnetic dipoles to obtain a wideband element with a bandwidth from 180 MHz to 30 GHz. The element is then miniaturized in order to be placed in a two by two array, and then the optimized values of the horizontal and vertical spacings are calculated. To enhance the array bandwidth, a lens is placed in front of each element. This leads to an increase in the bandwidth from 0.2 to 10 GHz while no grating lobes appear over the bandwidth. The combined element is fabricated and the simulation results are verified by the measured data. Furthermore, simulation results for the return loss, radiation patterns and antenna gain for the 2 × 2 array are presented.
2. Hradecky, Z. and A. Holub, "Broadband TEM horn antenna with dielectric lens for UWB measurement," 3rd European Conference on Antennas and Propagation, 2009, EuCAP 2009, 3348-3351, 2009.
3. Mallahzadeh, A. R. and F. Karshenas, "Modified TEM horn antenna for broadband applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 90, 105-119, 2009.
4. Botello-Perez, M., H. Jardon-Aguilar, and I. G. Ruiz, "Design and simulation of a 1 to 14 GHz broadband electromagnetic compatibility DRGH antenna," 2nd International Conference on Electrical and Electronics Engineering, 118-121, 2005.
5. Wiesbeck, W., G. Adamiuk, and C. Sturm, "Basic properties and design principles of UWB antennas," Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol. 97, No. 2, 372-385, 2009.
6. Chung, K., S. Pyun, and J. Choi, "Design of an ultrawide-band TEM horn antenna with a microstrip-type balun," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 53, No. 10, 3410-3413, 2005.
7. Reid, E. W., L. Ortiz-Balbuena, A. Ghadiri, and K. Moez, "A 324-element vivaldi antenna array for radio astronomy instrumentation," IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation and Measurement, Vol. 61, No. 1, 241-250, 2012.
8. Desrumaux, L., M. Lalande, J. Andrieu, V. Bertrand, and B. Jecko, "The SHARK antenna: A miniature antenna for transient Ultra Wide Band applications in the frequency band 800 MHz-8 GHz," 2010 Proceedings of the Fourth European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EuCAP), 1-3, 2010.
9. Abbas-Azimi, M., F. Arazm, and R. Faraji-Dana, "Design and optimization of a high-frequency EMC wideband horn antenna," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 1, No. 3, 580-585, 2007.
10. Koshelev, V. I., Y. I. Buyanov, B. M. Koval'chuk, Y. A. Andreev, V. P. Belichenko, A. M. Efremov, V. V. Plisko, K. N. Sukhushin, V. A. Vizir, and V. B. Zorin, "High-power ultra wideband electromagnetic pulse radiation," Proc. SPIE, Vol. 3158, 209-219, 1997.
11. Andreev, , J., V. Belichenko, J. Buyanov, V. Koshelev, V. Plisko, K. Sukhushin, "Synthesis of ultrawideband radiators of nonharmonic signals," 6th International Conference on Mathematical Methods in Electromagnetic Theory,, 425-428, 1996.
12. Andreev, Y. A., Y. I. Buyanov, and V. Koshelev, "Combined antennas for high-power ultra wideband pulse radiation," 14th International Symposium on High Current Electronics, 2006.
13. Koshelev, V. I., Y. I. Buyanov, Y. A. Andreev, V. V. Plisko, and K. N. Sukhushin, "Ultrawideband radiators of high-power pulses," Digest of Technical Papers Pulsed Power Plasma Science, PPPS-2001, Vol. 2, 1661-1664, 2001.
14. Desrumaux, , L., S. Vauchamp, V. Bertrand, V. Couderc, M. Lalande, and J. Andrieu, "Transient measurements of an agile UWB array," 2010 European Wireless Technology Conference (EuWIT), 153-156, 2010.
15. Pozar, D. M., Microwave Engineering, 3rd Ed., 2005.