In this paper, a miniaturized wideband bandpass filter utilizing a square ring resonator and loaded open-stubs is proposed. One pair of bent open-stubs characterized as perturbations is installed outside the diagonal corners of the ring, and another pair of loaded open-stubs is added inside the ring resonator. By stretching the perturbation stubs more than half-wavelength of the ring, three pairs of degenerated modes in a ring are split for wideband operation. The first two split modes form the dominant passband. Meanwhile, the loading effect introduced by the loaded open-stubs could move the third split mode into the dominant passband, at the same time, an additional transmission zero is generated by the loaded open-stub, which improves the skirt selectivity. Due to the applying of the perturbation stubs as long as more than half-wavelength, this kind of wideband microstrip ring resonator filter occupies a smaller size than those conventional ones that based on ring resonator. To verify the mechanism above, a wideband bandpass filter centered at 3.5 GHz is designed, implemented, and fabricated. Measured results of experimental circuit show good agreement with simulated responses.
2. Deng, H.-W., Y.-J. Zhao, L. Zhang, X.-S. Zhang, and W. Zhao, "Compact wideband bandpass filter with quadruple-mode stub-," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 17, 125-132, 2010.
3. Krongkitsiri, W., C. Mahatthanajatuphat, and P. Akkaraekthalin, "Wideband bandpss filters using parallel-coupled SIRs with wide spurious suppression," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 27, 69-83, 2012.
4. Zhang, L., Z.-Y. Yu, and S.-G. Mo, "Novel planar multimode bandpass filters with radial-line stubs," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 101, 33-42, 2010.
5. Xue, S., W. Feng, H. Zhu, and W. Che, "Microstrip wideband bandpass filter with six transmission zeros using transversal signal-interaction concepts," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,, Vol. 34, 1-12, 2013.
6. Sun, S. and L. Zhu, "Wideband microstrip ring resonator bandpass filters under multiple resonances," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 55, No. 10, 2176-2182, Oct. 2007.
7. Ahonnom, S. and P. Akkaraekthalin, "Wideband dual mode microstrip bandpass filters using a new perturbation with notch rectangular slots," Proceeding of ECTI-CON, Vol. 1, 269-272, 2008.
8. Kim, C.-H., K. Chang, and , "Wideband ring resonator bandpass filter with dual stepped impedance stubs," IEEE MTT-S Int. Microw. Symp. Dig., 229-232, May 2010.
9. Fan, J., D.-Z. Zhan, C.-J. Jin, and J.-R. Luo, "Wideband microstrip bandpass filter based on quadruple mode ring resonator," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 22, No. 7, 348-350, Jul. 2012.
10. Ma, Z.-W., H. Sasaki, C.-P. Chen, T. Anada, and Y. Kobayashi, "Design of a wideband bandpass filter using microstrip parallel-coupled dual-mode ring resontaor," Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference Proceedings, 21-24, Dec. 2010.
11. Srisathit, K., A. Worapishet, and W. Surakampontorn, "Design of tripple-mode ring resonator for wideband microstrip bandpass filters," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 58, No. 11, 2867-2877, Nov. 2010.
12. Deng, K., S. Yang, S.-J. Sun, B. Wu, and X.-W. Shi, "Dual-mode dual-band bandpass filter based on square loop resonator," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 37, 119-130, 2013.
13. Makimoto, M. and S. Yamashita, "Bandpass filters using parallel coupled stripline stepped impedance resonators," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech.,, Vol. 28, No. 12, 1413-1417, Dec. 1980.
14. Hong, J.-S. and M.-J. Lancaster, Microstrip Filters for RF/Microwave Applications, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 2001.