This paper addresses the problem of direction-of-arrival (DOA) estimation of correlated and coherent signals, and two sparsity-inducing methods are proposed. In the first method named L1-EVD, the signal-subspace eigenvectors are represented jointly with well-chosen hard thresholds attached to the representation residue of each eigenvector. Then only the eigenvector corresponding to the largest eigenvalue is reserved for DOA estimation via sparse representation, which aims at highly correlated signals, and a method named L1-TEVD (TEVD: Truncated EVD) is proposed. Simulation results show that, L1-EVD and L1-TEVD both surpass L1-SVD in DOA estimation performance and computation efficiency for highly correlated and coherent signals.
2. Yang, P., F. Yang, and Z.-P. Nie, "DOA estimation with sub-array divided technique and interpolated esprit algorithm on a cylindrical conformal array antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 103, 201-216, 2010.
3. Mukhopadhyay, M., B. K. Sarkar, and A. Chakrabort, "Augmentation of anti-jam GPS system using smart antenna with a simple DOA estimation algorithm," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 67, 231-249, 2007.
4. Tu, T. C., C. M. Li, and C. C. Chiu, "The performance of polarization diversity schemes in outdoor micro cells," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 55, 175-188, 2005.
5. Cheng, S. C. and K. C. Lee, "Reducing the array size for DOA estimation by an antenna mode switch technique," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 131, 117-134, 2010.
6. Zaharis, Z. D., K. A. Gotsis, and J. N. Sahalos, "Adaptive beamforming with low side lobe level using neural networks trained by mutated Boolean PSO," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 127, 139-154, 2012.
7. Liu, F., J. Wang, R. Du, L. Peng, and P. Chen, "A second-order cone programming approach for robust downlink beamforming with power control in cognitive radio networks," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 18, 221-231, 2011.
8. Mallipeddi, R., J. P. Lie, P. N. Suganthan, S. G. Razul, and C. M. S. See, "A differential evolution approach for robust adaptive beamforming based on joint estimation of look direction and array geometry," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 119, 381-394, 2011.
8. Krim, H. and M. Viberg, "Two decades of array signal processing research: The parametric approach," IEEE Signal Processing Mag., 67-94, Jul. 1996.
10. Si, W., L. Wan, L. Liu, and Z. Tian, "Fast estimation of frequency and 2-D DOAs for cylindrical conformal array antenna using state-space and propagator method," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 137, 51-71, 2013.
11. Weiss, A. J. and B. Friedlander, "On the Cramer-Rao bound for direction finding of correlated signals," IEEE Trans. Signal Processing, Vol. 41, No. 1, 495-499, Jan. 1993.
12. Linebarger, D. A., R. D. DeGroat, and E. M. Dowling, "Efficient direction-finding methods employing forward/backward averaging," IEEE Trans. Signal Processing, Vol. 42, No. 8, 2136-2145, Aug. 1994.
13. Malioutov, D., "A sparse signal reconstruction perspective for source localization with sensor arrays,", M. S. Thesis, MIT, Cambridge, MA, Jul. 2003.
14. Fuchs, J. J., "On the application of the global matched filter to DOA estimation with uniform circular arrays," IEEE Trans. Signal Processing, Vol. 49, No. 4, 702-709, Apr. 2001.
15. Malioutov, D., M. Cetin, and A. S. Willsky, "A sparse signal reconstruction perspective for source localization with sensor arrays," IEEE Trans. Signal Processing, Vol. 53, No. 8, 3010-3022, Aug. 2005.
16. Liu, F., L. Peng, M. Wei, and S. Guo, "An improved L1-SVD algorithm based on noise subspace for DOA estimation," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 29, 109-122, May 2012.
17. Hyder, M. M. and K. Mahata, "Direction-of-arrival estimation using a mixed L2,0 norm approximation," IEEE Trans. Signal Processing, Vol. 58, No. 9, 4646-4655, Sep. 2010.
18. Liu, Z. M., Z. T. Huang, and Y. Y. Zhou, "Direction-of-arrival estimation of wideband signals via covariance matrix sparse representation," IEEE Trans. Signal Processing, Vol. 59, No. 9, 4256-4270, Sep. 2011.
19. Zhang, Y., Q. Wan, and A.-M. Huang, "Localization of narrow band sources in the presence of mutual coupling via sparse solution finding," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 86, 243-257, 2008.
20. Chen, S. S., D. L. Donoho, and M. A. Saunders, "Atomic," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 43, No. 1, 129-159, 2001.
21. Berg, E. and M. P. Friedlander, "In pursuit of a root,", Technique Report, University of British Columbia, BC, Canada, Tech. Rep. TR-2007-19, 1-8, 2007.
22. Hansen, P. C., "Analysis of discrete ill-posed problems by means of the L-curve," SIAM Review, Vol. 34, No. 4, 561-580, 1992.
23. Natarajan, B. K., "Sparse approximate solutions to linear systems," SIAM J. Comput., Vol. 24, 227-234, 1995.
24. Kaveh, M. and A. J. Barabell, "The statistical performance of the MUSIC and the minimum-norm algorithms in resolving plane waves in noise," IEEE Transactions on Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing, Vol. 34, No. 2, 331-341, Apr. 1986.
25. Brillinger, D. R., Time Series: Data Analysis and Theory, SIAM Press, 2001.
26. Tropp, J. A. and S. J.Wright, "Computational methods for sparse solution of linear inverse problems," Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol. 98, No. 6, 948-958, Jun. 2010.
27. Zhang, Y., Q. Wan, H. P. Zhao, and W. L. Yang, "Support vector regression for basis selection in Laplacian noise environment," IEEE Signal Processing Letters, Vol. 14, No. 11, 871-874, Nov. 2007.
28. Zhang, Y., H. Zhao, and Q. Wan, "Single snapshot 2D-DOA estimation in impulsive noise environment using linear arrays," ACES Journal, Vol. 27, No. 2, 991-998, Dec. 2012.