This paper presents a new rectangle-slot antenna for ultra wideband applications with 3.5/5.5 GHz dual stop-band characteristics. The antenna contains a simple square radiating patch and a rectangle-slot ground plane, which provides a wide bandwidth from 2.6 GHz up to 14.1 GHz. In order to obtain dual stop-band properties at 3.5 and 5.5 GHz, a rectangularshaped slot is etched off the ground plane, and a strip line ended up a shorting pin is applied, respectively. The antenna is simple in configuration and has a compact dimension of 20×22 mm2. The proposed antenna is designed, simulated and fabricated. The measured results exhibit a acceptable agreement with the simulated data. The antenna provides nearly omnidirectional radiation patterns, relatively flat gain over the entire UWB frequency excluding the two stop bands.
2. Akbari, M., M. Koohestani, C. H. Ghobadi, and J. Nourinia, "A new compact planar UWB monopole antenna," International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-Aided Engineering, Vol. 21, No. 2, 216-220, March 2011.
3. Akbari, M., M. Koohestani, C. Ghobadi, and J. Nourinia, "Compact CPW-fed printed monopole antenna with super wideband performance," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 53, No. 7, 1481-1483, July 2011.
4. Li, C. M. and L. H. Ye, "Improved dual band-notched UWB slot antenna with controllable notched bandwidths," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 115, 477-493, 2011.
5. Mishra, S. K. and J. Mukherjee, "Compact printed dual band-notched U-shape UWB antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 27, 169-181, 2012.
6. Ali, J. K., A. J. Salim, A. I. Hammoodi, and H. Alsaedi, "An ultra-wideband printed monopole antenna with a fractal based reduced ground plane," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Symposium Abstracts, Vol. 330, Moscow, Russia, August 19-23, 2012.
7. Karmakar, A., S. Verma, M. Pal, and R. Ghatak, "An ultra wideband monopole antenna with multiple fractal slots with dual band rejection characteristics," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 31, 185-197, 2012.
8. Xu, F., Z. X. Wang, X. Chen, and X.-A. Wang, "Dual band-notched UWB antenna based on spiral electromagnetic-band gap structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 39, 393-409, 2012.
9. Saad, A. A. R., D. A. Salem, and E. E. M. Khaled, "5.5 GHz notched ultra-wideband printed monopole antenna characterized by electromagnetic band gap structures," International Journal of Electronics and Communication Engineering (IJECE), Vol. 1, No. 1, 1-12, August 2012.
10. Ansoft High Frequency Structure Simulation (HFSSTM), Ver. 13, , Ansoft Corporation, 2010.
11. CST Microwave Studio, Ver. 2008, , Computer Simulation Technology, Framingham, MA, 2008.
12. Joardar, S. and A. B. Bhattacharya, "Two new ultrawideband dual polarized antenna-feeds using planar log periodic antenna and innovative frequency independent reflectors," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 11, 1465-1479, 2006.
13. Medeiros, C. R., J. R. Costa, and C. A. Fernandes, "Compact tapered slot UWB antenna with WLAN band rejection," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 8, 661-664, 2009.