This paper presents a neural network based technique for the analysis of various stacked patch antennas, those can be applied for satellite and wireless local area network (WLAN) applications. In order to show the diversity of artificial neural network (ANN) modeling technique, two different trained neural networks were developed with different number of antenna geometrical parameters as inputs. These trained networks locate the operational resonance frequencies with their bands for stacked patch antennas (SPA) operating in the X-Ku (8 GHz-18 GHz) bands and WLAN bands (2 GHz-6 GHz). These frequency bands are useful for satellite communication and indoor wireless communication applications respectively. First ANN model takes design (geometrical) parameters of antenna like lower patch dimension, upper patch dimension, and height of air gap, as a input, whereas other NN model includes feed point location also as a input. The validity of the network is tested with the simulations results obtained from the full-wave Method of Moment (MoM) based IE3D and few experimental results obtained in the laboratory.
Satish Kumar Jain,
"Neurocomputational Analysis of Coaxial Fed Stacked Patch Antennas for Satellite and WLAN Applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 42, 125-135, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIERC13061702
1. Gupta, R. K. and G. Kumar, "High gain multilayered antenna for wireless application," Microwave and Optical Technology Letter, Vol. 50, 1923-1928, Jul. 2008. doi:10.1002/mop.23536
2. Croq, F., G. Kossiavas, and A. Papiernik, "Stacked resonators for bandwidth enhancement: A comparision of two feeding techniques," IEE Proc., Vol. 140, 303-308, Aug. 1993.
3. Ju, J. M., G.-T. Jeong, J.-H. Yoon, S.-W. Ko, and K.-S. Kwak, "Design of multiple U-shaped slot microstrip patch antenna for 5-GHz band WLANs," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 43, No. 6, 487-488, Dec. 2004.
4. Fairus, M., M. Yusof, I. P. Pohn, M. Esa, N. A. Murad, Y. Eng, and A. Marandi, "Stacked square fractal antenna with improved bandwidth for wireless local area network access point," International Conference on RF and Microwave, 228-232, Sep. 2006.
5. Thomas, K. G. and M. Sreenivasan, "A simple dual-band microstrip-fed printed antenna for WLAN applications," IET Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 3, No. 4, 687-693, 2009. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2008.0077
6. Mitchell, A., M. Leech, D. M. Kokotoff, and R. Waterhouse, "Search for high-performance probe-fed stacked patches using optimization," IEEE Tran. on Antennas and Prop., Vol. 51, No. 2, 249-255, Feb. 2003. doi:10.1109/TAP.2003.809070
7. Balanis, C. A., Advanced Engineering Electromagnetic, John Wiley & Sons, New York, 1989.
8. Jain, S. K., S. N. Sinha, and A. Patnaik, "Analysis of coaxial fed dual patch multilayer X/Ku band antenna using artificial neural networks," Proc. of Int. Symp. on Biologically Inspired Computing and Applications (BICA'09), 1111-1114, Bhubaneshawar, India, Dec. 2009, (Doi: 10.1109/NABIC.2009.5393812).
9. Christodoulou, C. and G. Michael, Application of Neural Networks in Electromagnetics, Artech House, London, 2001.
10. Zhang, Q. J. and K. C. Gupta, Neural Networks for RF and Microwave Design, Artech House, London, 2000.
11. Patnaik, A., D. Anagnostous, C. G. Christodoulou, and J. C. Lyke, "Neurocomputational analysis of a multiband reconfigurable planner antenna," IEEE Tran. on Antennas and Prop., Vol. 53, No. 11, 3453-3457, Nov. 2005. doi:10.1109/TAP.2005.858617
12. Vagni, L. and A. Toscano, "Analysis of microstrip antennas using neural networks," IEEE Tran. on Magnetics, Vol. 33, No. 2, 1414-1419, Mar. 1997. doi:10.1109/20.582522
13. Somasiri, N. P., X. Chen, and A. A. Rezazadeh, "Neural network modeller for design optimization of multilayer patch antennas," IEE Proc. --- Microw., Antennas Propag., Vol. 151, No. 6, 514-518, Dec. 2004. doi:10.1049/ip-map:20040862
14. Mishra, R. K. and A. Patnaik, "Neurospectral computation for complex resonant frequency of microstrip resonators," IEEE Microwave and Guided Wave Letters, Vol. 9, No. 9, 351-353, Sep. 1999. doi:10.1109/75.790471
15. Guney, K. and S. S. Gultekin, "Artificial neural networks for resonant frequency calculation of rectangular microstrip antennas with thin and thick substrates," International Journal of Infrared and Millimeter Waves, Vol. 25, No. 9, 1383-1391, Sep. 2004. doi:10.1023/B:IJIM.0000045146.70836.ee