In this paper, transmitter polarization optimization is firstly proposed to improve the accuracy of azimuth-elevation arrival angles estimation within MIMO electromagnetic vector-sensor array (EMVA). Minimizing of Cramer-Rao bound is used as cost function for the optimal design of transmitting signal polarization. Computer simulation results verify that the optimal polarization design provides increased estimation accuracy of direction finding in MIMO-EMVA, compared with that of using fixed polarization of transmitting signal. Moreover, the optimal polarization design retains all advantages of using fixed polarization of transmitting signal for MIMO-EMVA direction finding.
1. Li, J. and P. Stoica, "MIMO radar with colocated antennas," IEEE Signal Processing Magazine, Vol. 24, No. 5, 106-114, Sep. 2007. doi:10.1109/MSP.2007.904812
2. Qu, Y., G. Liao, S.-Q. Zhu, X.-Y. Liu, and H. Jiang, "Performance analysis of beamforming for MIMO radar," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 84, 123-134, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER08062306
3. Zheng, G., B. Chen, and M. Yang, "Unitary ESPRIT algorithm for bistatic MIMO radar," Electronics Letters, Vol. 48, No. 3, 179-181, Feb. 2012. doi:10.1049/el.2011.3657
4. Nehorai, A. and E. Paldi, "Vector-sensor array processing for electromagnetic source localization," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 42, No. 2, 376-398, Feb. 1994. doi:10.1109/78.275610
5. Zhang, X. and D. Xu, "Deterministic blind beamforming for electromagnetic vector sensor array," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 84, 363-377, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER08080402
6. Zhang, X., Y. Shi, and D. Xu, "Novel blind joint direction of arrival and polarization estimation for polarization-sensitive uniform circular array," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 86, 19-37, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER08082302
7. Zheng, G., B. Chen, and M. Yang, "Cramer-Rao bound for multiple parameters estimation using a polarization sensitive array," The Journal of China Universities of Posts and Telecommunications, Vol. 19, No. 3, 107-113, 2012. doi:10.1016/S1005-8885(11)60272-0
8. Zheng , G., et al., "Angle and polarization estimation using ESPRIT with polarimetric MIMO radar," IET International Radar Conference, 1-4, Glasgow, UK, Oct. 2012.
9. Zheng, G., et al., "Joint DOD and DOA estimation for bistatic polarimetric MIMO radar," IEEE International Conference on Signal Processing (ICSP), Vol. 1, 329-332, Beijing, China, Oct. 2012.
10. Bencheikh, M. L. and Y. Wang, "Combined esprit-rootmusic for DOA-DOD estimation in polarimetric bistatic MIMO radar," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 22, 109-117, 2011.
11. Gu, C., et al., "Target localization using MIMO electromagnetic vector array systems," Signal Processing, Vol. 93, No. 7, 2103-2107, Jul. 2013. doi:10.1016/j.sigpro.2013.02.005
12. Hurtado, M., J. J. Xiao, and A. Nehorai, "Target estimation, detection, and tracking: A look at adaptive polarimetric design," IEEE Signal Processing Magazine, Vol. 26, No. 1, 42-52, Jan. 2009. doi:10.1109/MSP.2008.930417