A new structure of coupled-fed loop antenna connected with two branch radiators for eight-band LTE/WWAN (LTE700/GSM850/900/1800/1900/UMTS/LTE2300/2500) operation in the ultra-thin laptop computer is presented. The two branch strips of the antenna are efficient radiators and contributing multi-resonant modes to greatly enhance the bandwidth of the antenna. The proposed antenna on the top shielding metal wall of the laptop display, with a planar and compact size of 12.5×70×0.8 mm3, is suitable to be embedded inside the casing of the laptop computer. The proposed antenna is fabricated and tested, and good radiation performances are obtained. Compared with the existing published antennas, the volume of the planar antenna is quite small.
1. Wang, X., W. Chen, and Z. Feng, "Multiband antenna with parasitic branches for laptop applications," Electron. Letters, Vol. 43, 1012-1013, Sep. 13, 2007. doi:10.1049/el:20071603
2. Chang, C. H. and K. L. Wong, "Internal coupled-fed shorted monopole antenna for GSM850/900/1800/1900/UMTS operation in the laptop Computer," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 56, 3600-3604, Nov. 2008. doi:10.1109/TAP.2008.2005550
3. Wong, K. L. and S. J. Liao, "Uniplanar coupled-fed printed PIFA for WWAN operation in the laptop computer," Microwave Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 51, 549-554, Feb. 2009. doi:10.1002/mop.24084
4. Wong, K. L., W. J. Chen, L. C. Chou, and M. R. Hsu, "Bandwidth enhancement of the small-size internal laptop computer antenna using a parasitic open slot for the penta-band WWAN operation," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 58, 3431-3435, Oct. 2010. doi:10.1109/TAP.2010.2055815
5. Wong, K. L. and L. C. Lee, "Bandwidth enhancement of small-size internal WWAN laptop computer antenna using a resonant open slot embedded in the ground plane," Microwave Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 52, 1137-1142, May 2010. doi:10.1002/mop.25148
6. Wong, K. L. and L. C. Lee, "Multiband printed monopole slot antenna for WWAN operation in the laptop computer," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 57, 324-330, Feb. 2009. doi:10.1109/TAP.2008.2011391
7. Wong, K.-L. and P.-J. Ma, "Small-size internal antenna for LTE/WWAN operation in the laptop computer," International Conference on Applications of Electromagnetism and Student Innovation Competition Awards (AEM2C), Vol. 10, 152-156, Aug. 2010.
8. Kang, T. W., K. L. Wong, L. C. Chou, and M. R. Hsu, "Coupled-fed shorted monopole with a radiating feed structure for eight-band LTE/WWAN operation in the laptop computer," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 59, 674-679, Feb. 2009. doi:10.1109/TAP.2010.2096390
9. Chang, C. H. and W. J. Liao, "A broadband LTE/WWAN antenna design for tablet PC," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 60, 4354-4359, Sep. 2012. doi:10.1109/TAP.2012.2207075
10. Hu, C. L., W. F. Lee, Y. E. Wu, C. F. Yang, and S. T. Lin, "A compact multiband inverted-F antenna for LTE/WWAN/GPS/WiMAX/WLAN operations in the laptop computer," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagations Letters, Vol. 9, 1169-1173, Dec. 2010. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2010.2098387
11. Hu, C. L., C. F. Yang, and S. T. Lin, "A compact inverted-F antenna to be embedded in ultra-thin laptop computer for LTE/WWAN/WiMAX/WLAN applications," IEEE International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation (APSURSI), Vol. 10, 426-429, Jul. 2011.
12. Risco, S., J. Anguera, A. Andujar, A. Perez, and C. Puente, "Coupled monopole antenna design for multiband handset devices," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 52, 359-364, Feb. 2010. doi:10.1002/mop.24893