This paper proposes a method to design an even-order symmetric bandpass filter with Chebyshev response. The alternative J inverters and λ/4 short-ended resonators are used in the filter design. It is well known that a conventional even-order Chebyshev bandpass filter prototype can be designed by using J-inverters. However, to achieve the Chebyshev response, a problem is that the output admittance YL is unequal to the input admittance Y0 since normalized gn+1 is not equal to the g0. But for the symmetrical structure, an additional impedance transform can be installed at the output port to solve this problem, thus the network of even-order symmetric bandpass filter with a Chebyshev response should be modified with new J-inverters. In this work, all J-inverters of the symmetric bandpass filter with Chebyshev response are extracted and described as curves to determine the circuit dimensions of the proposed structure. Two even-order Chebyshev bandpass filters with the second- and fourth-order are designed with the proposed method as its application examples. Finally, the fourth-order filter is fabricated and measured at center frequency of 2.5 GHz with the fractional bandwidth 25%. The measured result is in good agreement with the simulated one.
2. Wu, G.-L., W. Mu, X.-W. Dai, and Y.-C. Jiao, "Design of novel dual-band bandpass filter with microstrip meander-loop resonator and CSRR DGS," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 78, 17-24, 2008.
3. Xiao, J.-K., Q.-X. Chu, and S. Zhang, "Novel microstrip triangular resonator bandpass filter with transmission zeros and wide bands using fractal-shaped defection," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 77, 343-356, 2007.
4. Chen, Y.-M., S.-F. Chang, C.-C. Chang, and T.-J. Hung, "Design of stepped-impedance combline bandpass filters with symmetric insertion-loss response and wide stopband range," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 55, No. 10, Oct. 2007.
5. Weng, M.-H., C.-Y. Hung, and Y.-K. Su, "A hairpin line diplexer for direct sequence ultra-wideband wireless communications," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 17, No. 7, Jul. 2007.
6. Tsujiguchi, T., H. Matsumoto, and T. Nishikawa, "A miniaturized end-coupled bandpass filter using hairpin coplanar resonators," IEEE MTT-S Int. Microw. Symp. Dig., Vol. 2, 829-832, 1998.
7. Bahrami, H., M. Hakkak, and A. Pirhadi, "Analysis and design of highly compact bandpass waveguide filter utilizing complementary split ring resonators (CSRR)," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 80, 107-122, 2008.
8. Mo, S.-G., Z.-Y. Yu, and L. Zhang, "Design of triple-mode bandpass filter using improved hexagonal loop resonator," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 96, 117-125, 2009.
9. Adam, H., A. Ismail, M. A. Mahdi, M. S. Razalli, A. Alhawariand, and B. K. Esfeh, "X-band miniaturized wideband bandpass filter utilizing multilayered microstrip hairpin resonator," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 93, 177-188, 2009.
10. Matthaei, G., L. Young, and E. Jones, Microwave Filters, Impedance-matching Networks and Coupling Structures, Artech House, Norwood, NA, 1980.
11. Lin, S.-C. and C.-Y. Yeh, "Stopband-extended balanced filters using both λ/4 and λ/2 sirs with common-mode suppression and improved passband selectivity," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 128, 215-228, 2012.
12. Hsu, C.-L. and J.-T. Kuo, "Microstrip realization of trisection synthesis with frequency-dependent admittance inverter," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 113, 195-210, 2011.
13. Btlez-Lopez, D. J. M. and J. M. R.-Cortes, "Direct determination of the coe±cients of chebyshev polynomials and other consideration," 35th Midwest Symposium on Circuits and Systems, 466-468, 1992.
14. Castaldi, G., V. Fiumara, and I. Gallina, "An exact synthesis method for dual-band Chebyshev impedance transformers," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 86, 305-319, 2008.
15. Lee, J. R., J. H. Cho, and S. W. Yun, "New compact bandpass filter using microstrip λ/4 resonators with open stub inverter," IEEE Microw. Guided Wave Lett., Vol. 10, No. 12, 526-527, Dec. 2000.
16. Wang, C. H., Y. S. Lin, and C. Hsiung, "Novel inductance-incorporated microstrip coupled-line bandpass filters with two attenuation poles," IEEE MTT-S Int. Microw. Symp. Dig., Vol. 3, 1979, 2004.
17. Lin, Y. S., C. H. Wang, C. H. Wu, and C. Hsiung, "Novel compact parallel-coupled microstrip bandpass filters with lumped element K-inverters," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory nd Techniques, Vol. 53, No. 7, 2324-2328, Jul. 2005.
18. Wu, C. H., Y. S. Lin, C. H. Wang, and C. Hsiung, "Novel microstrip coupled-line bandpass filters with shortened coupled sections for stop-band extension," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 54, No. 2, 540-546, Feb. 2006.
19. Hunter, I. C., Theory and Design of Microwave Filters, The Institution of Engineering and Technology, London, UK , 2006.
20. Zhang, S. and L. Zhu, "Synthesis method for even-order symmetrical Chebyshev bandpass filters with alternative J/K inverters and λ/4 resonators," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 61, No. 2, Feb. 2010.
21. Hong, J. S. and M. J. Lancaster, Microstrip Filters for RF/Microwave Applications, Wiley, New York, 2001.
22. Makimoto, M. and S. Yamashita, Microwave Resonators and Filters for Wireless Communication, Springer-Verlag, Berlin, Heidelberg, 2001.