In this paper, a three-pole bandpass filter (BPF) using a new defected ground structure (DGS) is discussed. The proposed DGS is incorporated in the ground plane under the feed lines and the coupled lines of a bandpass filter to improve the performance of the filter in both passband and stopband. The banpass filter is designed with a center frequency of 1.8 GHz and a bandwidth of 270 MHz. The suppression of better than 20 dB was achieved for frequencies between 2.2 and 5 GHz. A prototype of BPF was fabricated and tested. Prototype measured data was in good agreement with simulation results.
2. Garcia-Garcia, J., F. Martin, F. Falcone, J. Bonache, J. Baena, I. Gil, E. Amat, T. Lopetegi, M. Laso, J. Iturmendi, M. Sorolla, and R. Marquies, "Microwave filters with improved stopband based on sub-wavelength resonators," IEEE Trans. on Microwave Theory and Tech., Vol. 53, 1997-2006, 2005.
3. Oraizi, H. and M. S. Esfahlan, "Miniaturization of Wilkinson power dividers by using defected ground structures," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 4, 113-120, 2008.
4. Wu, B., B. Li, T. Su, and C. H. Liang, "Study on transmission characteristic of split ring resonator defected ground structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 50, 710-714, 2006.
5. Park, J. I., C. S. Kim, J. S. Park, Y. Qian, D. Ahn, and T. Itoh, "Modeling of photonic bandgap and its application for the lowpass filter design," 1999 Asia Pacific Microwave Conference, 331-334, 1999.
6. Joung, M. S., J. O. Kim, J. S. Park, J. B. Lim, and H. G. Cho, "A novel defected ground structure and its application to a microwave oscillator," 33th European Microwave Conference, 781-784, 2003.
7. Joung, M. S., J. O. Kim, J. S. Park, J. B. Lim, and H. G. C:ho, "A design of the self oscillation mixer using a novel DGS," Asia Pacific Microwave Conference, Vol. 2, 8136-889, 2003.
8. Boutejdar, A., A. Elsherbini, A. Balalem, J. Machac, and A. Omar, "Design of new DGS hairpin microstrip bandpass filter using coupling matrix method," PIERS Proceedings, 261-265, 2007.
9. Xiao, J.-K. and Y.-F. Zhu, "New U-shaped DGS bandstop filters," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 25, 179-191, 2012.
10. Garcia, J., F. Martin, F. Falcone, J. Bonache, I. Gil, T. Lopetegi, M. A. G. Laso, M. Sorolla, and R. Marquies, "Spurious passband suppression in microstrip coupled line band pass filters by means of split ring resonators," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 14, No. 9, 416-418, 2004.
11. Lopetegi, T., M. A. G. Laso, J. Hernandez, M. Bacaicoa, D. Benito, M. J. Garde, M. Sorolla, and M. Guglielmi, "New microstrip wiggly-line filters with spurious passband suppression," IEEE Trans. on Microwave Theory and Tech., Vol. 49, 1593-1598, 2001.
12. Kuo, J. T. and W. Hsu, "Parallel coupled microstrip filters with suppression of harmonic response," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 12, No. 10, 383-385, 2002.
13. Boutejdar, A. and A. Omar, "Compensating for DGS filter loss," Microwaves & RF Journal, 2012.
14. Woo, D.-J. and T.-K. Lee, "Suppression of harmonics in Wilkinson power divider using dual-band rejection by asymmetric DGS," IEEE Trans. on Microwave Theory and Tech., Vol. 53, No. 6, 2139-2144, 2005.
15. Kulkarni, M. G. and N. Sarwade, "Suppression of harmonics in Wilkinson power divider using defected ground structures," International Journal of Electronics and Communication Technology, Vol. 2, No. 2, 2011.
16. Sung, Y. J., C. S. Ahn, and Y.-S. Kim, "Size reduction and harmonic suppression of rat-race hybrid coupler using defected ground structure," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 14, No. 1, 2004.
17. Banerji, A., "Design of a wide stop-band harmonic suppressed microstrip low pass planar filter using defected ground structure," International Journal on Electrical Engineering and Informatics, Vol. 4, No. 1, 2012.