In this paper, the design, realization, and experimental validation of a battery-assisted radio frequency identification (RFID) tag featuring sensing and computation capabilities are presented. The sensor-augmented RFID tag comprises an ultra-low-power microcon-troller, temperature sensors, 3-axis accelerometer, non-volatile storage, and a new-generation I2C-RFID chip for communication with standard UHF EPCglobal Class-1 Generation-2 readers. A preliminary printed-circuit-board prototype, connected to a 3-V/225-mAh lithium battery, provides a lifetime up to approximately 3 years when sensing and RFID-based communication tasks are performed every 10 seconds. Moreover, the device exhibits indoor transmission ranges up to 22 m, 6 m, and 5 m when attached to foam, concrete, and wood respectively. The encouraging results achieved for an emulated application scenario demonstrate the suitability of the device to be adopted in contexts where temperature and acceleration sensing are required.
2. Guido, A. L., L. Mainetti, and L. Patrono, "Evaluating potential bene¯ts of the use of RFID, EPCglobal, and ebXML in the pharmaceutical supply chain ," International Journal of Healthcare Technology and Management, Vol. 13, No. 4, 198-222, 2012.
3. Sample, A. P., D. J. Yeager, P. S. Powledge, A. V. Mamishev, and J. R. Smith, "Design of an RFID-based battery-free programmable sensing platform ," IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation and Measurement, Vol. 57, No. 11, 2608-2615, 2008.
4. De Donno, D., L. Catarinucci, and L. Tarricone, "Enabling self-powered autonomous wireless sensors with new-generation I2C-RFID chips ," 2013 IEEE MTT-S International Microwav Symposium Digest, 1-4, 2013.
5. Unander, T., J. Siden, and H. E. Nilsson, "Designing of RFID-based sensor solution for packaging surveillance applications ," IEEE Sensors Journal, Vol. 11, No. 11, 3009-3018, 2011.
6. Li, T. H., A. Borisenko, and M. Bolic, "Open platform semi-passive RFID tag," Ad-hoc, Mobile, and Wireless Networks, Vol. 7363, 249-259, 2012.
7. Capone, A. and Optimal, "Optimal placement of multiple interconnected gateways in heterogeneous wireless sensor networks ," NETWORKING 2009, Vol. 5550, 442-455, 2009.
8. De Donno, D. and An UHF RFID, "An UHF RFID energy-harvesting system enhanced by a DC-DC charge pump in silicon-on-insulator technology ," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 23, No. 6, 315-317, 2013.
9. Monti, G., F. Congedo, D. De Donno, and L. Tarricone, "Monopole-based rectenna for microwave energy harvesting of UHF RFID systems," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 31, 109-121, 2012.
10. Catarinucci, L., S. Tedesco, D. De Donno, and L. Tarricone, "Platform-robust passive UHF RFID tags: A case-study in robotics ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 30, 27-39, 2012.
11. Lee, H., S. Kim, D. De Donno, and M. M. Tentzeris, "A novel `Universal' inkjet-printed EBG-backed flexible RFID for rugged on-body and metal mounted applications," 2012 IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest, 1-3, 2012.
12. Liu, Y., K.-M. Luk, and H.-C. Yin, "A RFID tag metal antenna on a compact HIS substrate," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 18, 51-59, 2010.
13. Paredes, F., G. Zamora, S. Zuffanelli, F. J. Herraiz-Martinez, F. Martin, and J. Bonache, "Free-space and on-metal dual-band tag for UHF-RFID applications in Europe and USA," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 141, 577-590, 2013.
14. De Donno, D., F. Ricciato, and L. Tarricone, "Listening to tags: Uplink RFID measurements with an open-source software-defined radio tool," IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation and Measurement, Vol. 62, 109-118, 2013.
15. De Donno, D., L. Catarinucci, L. Tarricone, V. Lakafosis, and M. M. Tentzeris, "Performance enhancement of the RFID EPC Gen2 protocol by exploiting collision recovery," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 43, 53-72, 2012.
16. De Donno, D., V. Lakafosis, L. Tarricone, and M. M. Tentzeris, "Increasing performance of SDR-based collision-free RFID systems," 2012 IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest , 1-3, 2012.
17. Catarinucci, L., D. De Donno, M. Guadalupi, F. Ricciato, and L. Tarricone, "Performance analysis of passive UHF RFID tags with GNU-radio," 2011 IEEE International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation (APSURSI), 541-544, 2011.
18. De Donno, D., L. Catarinucci, R. Colella, F. Ricciato, and L. Tarricone, "Differential RCS and sensitivity calculation of rfid tags with software-defined radio ," 2012 IEEE Radio and Wireless Symposium (RWS 2012), 9-12, 2012.