In this paper, we present the measurement methodology and results for a low voltage Power line Communications (PLC) network under different configurations. Based on the measurements, a correlation of the channel transfer characteristics to the network topology is established and a deterministic model based on two-wire transmission line theory for transverse electromagnetic (TEM) wave propagation is proposed. The channel frequency response in frequency range of 1-30 MHz is determined, where the model results agree well with the measurements.
2. Zimmermann, M. and K. Dostert, "A multi-path signal propagation model for the power line channel in the high frequency range," Proc. Int. Symp. Power Line Communications and Its Applic. (ISPLC 1999), 45-51, 1999.
3. Philipps, H., "Modelling of powerline communication channels," Intl. Symposium on Power-line Communication and Its Applications, 2005.
4. Meng, H., S. Chen, Y. L. Guan, C. L. Law, P. L. So, E. Gunawan, and T. T. Lie, "A transmission line model for high-frequency power line communication channel," Proc. 5th Int. Conf. Power System Technology (PowerCon 2002), 1290-1295, 2002.
5. Esmailian, T., F. Kschischang, and G. Gulak, "An in-building power line channel simulator," Proc. Int. Symp. Power Line Communication and Its Applic., 1-5, Greece, 2002.
6. Anatory, J., M. M. Kissaka, and N. H. Mvungi, "Channel model for broadband powerline communication," IEEE Trans. on Power Delivery, Vol. 22, No. 1, 135-141, 2007.
7. Philipps, H., "Performance measurements of power-line channels at high frequencies," Proceedings of the International Symposium on Power Line Communications and Its Applications (ISPLC), 229-237, 1998.
8. Pozar, D. M., Microwave Engineering, 4th Edition, Wiley, New York, 2012.
9. Gianaroli, F., A. Barbieri, F. Pancaldi, A. Mazzanti, and G. M. Vitetta, "A novel approach to power-line channel modeling," EEE Transactions on Power Delivery, Vol. 25, No. 1, 132-140, 2010.
10. Janse van Rensburg, P. A. and H. C. Ferreira, "Coupling circuitry: Understanding the functions of different components," Proc. 7th Int. Symp. Power-line Comm., 204-209, 2003.
11. Janse van Rensburg, P. A. and H. C. Ferreira, "The role of magnetizing and leakage inductance in transformer coupling circuitry," Proc. 8th Int. Symp. Power-line Comm., 244-249, 2004.
12. Smith, A., Radio Frequency Principles and Applications: The Generation, Propagation, and Reception of Signals and Noise, Wiley-IEEE Press, 1998.
13. Mulangu, C. T., T. J. Afullo, and N. M. Ijumba, "Modelling of broadband powerline communication channels," SAIEE,, Vol. 102, No. 4, Dec. 2011.
14. Misra, D., Radio-frequency and Microwave Communication Circuits: Analysis and Design, John Wiley & Sons, 2001.