An improved directional equiangular spiral antenna with wide CP band and high gain is proposed, in which the impedance bandwidth is 2~12 GHz, CP bandwidth 4.5~7 GHz, and gain 6~9.5 dBi. The antenna includes 4 layers. The top layer is equiangular spiral antenna, and the bottom layer is ground. The middle two layers are parasitic metal films with irregular rectangular holes, which are introduced to improve the performance of equiangular spiral antenna and reduce the profile. The measured results are in good agreement with the simulated ones.
1. Kushwaha, N. and R. Kumar, "An UWB fractal antenna with defected ground structure and swastika shape electromagnetic band gap," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 52, 383-403, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIERB13051509
2. Chen, D. and C. H. Cheng, "A novel compact ultra-wideband (UWB) wide slot antenna with via holes," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 94, 343-349, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER09062306
3. Tilanthe, P., P. C. Sharma, and T. K. Bandopadhyay, "A compact UWB antenna with dual band rejection," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 35, 389-405, 2011. doi:10.2528/PIERB11092204
4. Ding, M., R. Jin, and J. Geng, "Optimal design of ultra wideband antenna using a mixed model of 2-D genetic algorithm and finite-difference time-domain," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 49, No. 12, 3177-3180, 2007. doi:10.1002/mop.22928
5. Liu, Q., et al., "A novel compact archimedean spiral antenna with gap-loading," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 3, 169-177, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERL08032002
6. Thaysen, J., K. B. Jakobsen, and H.-R. Lenler-Eriksen, "Wideband cavity backed spiral antenna for stepped frequency ground penetrating radar," 2005 IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, Vol. 1B, 418-421, 2005. doi:10.1109/APS.2005.1551581
7. Lao, J., R. H. Jin, and J. P. Geng, "UWB spiral antenna with parabolic reflector," XXIX URSI General Assembly, Chicago, Illinois, USA, 2008.
8. Wu, Q., R. Jin, J. Geng, and D. Su, "On the performance of printed dipole antenna with novel composite corrugated-reflector for low-profile ultrawideband applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 58, No. 12, 3839-3846, 2010. doi:10.1109/TAP.2010.2078465
9. Liu, T. H., W. X. Zhang, and K. F. A. Tsang, "Low profile spiral antenna with PBG substrate," Electronics Letters, Vol. 36, No. 9, 779-780, 2000. doi:10.1049/el:20000597
10. Li, Z., G. Wang, and Y. Cao, "A low-profile equiangular spiral antenna using a novel EBG ground plane," 7th International Symposium on Antennas, Propagation & EM Theory, ISAPE'06, 1-3, 2006.
11. Duncan, J. W. and V. P. Minerva, "100 : 1 bandwidth balun transformer," Proceedings of the IRE, Vol. 48, No. 2, 156-164, 1960. doi:10.1109/JRPROC.1960.287458
12. Wu, H., et al., "An improved comprehensive learning particle swarm optimization and its application to the semiautomatic design of antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 57, No. 10, 3018-3028, 2009. doi:10.1109/TAP.2009.2028608