In this paper, a different method for designing a novel and compact microstrip-fed slot antenna with band-notched characteristic for UWB application is proposed. In the proposed antenna, a pair of cross-shaped strips protruded inside an extra rectangular slot in the ground plane are used to crate an additional resonance in higher frequencies. By obtaining this resonance, the usable upper frequency of the antenna is extended from 9 to 14.8 GHz which provides a wide usable fractional bandwidth of more than 135%. Additionally, by using a square-ring radiating stub with a pair of protruded T-shaped strips inside the ring, a desired frequency band-stop performance has been obtained. Simulated and experimental results obtained for this antenna show that it exhibits good radiation behavior within the UWB frequency range. The proposed antenna can operate from 3.04 to 14.8 GHz for VSWR < 2 with a rejection band around 5.1 to 6 GHz to suppress any interference from wireless local area network (WLAN) systems. Simulated and experimental results obtained for this antenna show that it exhibits good radiation behavior within the UWB frequency range.
2. Schantz, H., The Art and Science of Ultra-wideband Antennas, Artech House, 2005.
3. Ghaderi, M. R. and F. Mohajeri, "A compact hexagonal wide slot antenna with microstrip-fed for UWB application," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 10, 682-685, 2011.
4. Ojaroudi, N., "Compact UWB monopole antenna with enhanced bandwidth using rotated L-shaped slots and parasitic structures," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 56, 175-178, 2014.
5. Ojaroudi, N., S. Amiri, and F. Geran, "A novel design of reconfigurable monopole antenna for UWB applications," Applied Computational Electromagnetics Society (ACES) Journal, Vol. 28, No. 6, 633-639, Jul. 2013.
6. Dastranj, A. and H. Abiri, "Bandwidth enhancement of printed E-shaped slot antennas fed by CPW and microstrip line," IEEE Trans. Antenna Propag., Vol. 58, No. 4, 1402-1407, 2010.
7. Farrokh-Heshmat, N., J. Nourinia, and C. Ghobadi, "Band-notched Ultrawideband printed open-slot antenna using variable on-ground slits," Electron. Lett., Vol. 45, No. 21, 1060-101, 2009.
8. Ojaroudi, N. and N. Ghadimi, "UWB small slot antenna with WLAN frequency band-stop function," Electron. Lett., Vol. 49, No. 21, 1317-1318, 2013.
9. Huang, C.-Y., S.-A. Huang, and C.-F. Yang, "Band-notched ultra-wideband circular slot antenna with inverted C-shaped parasitic strip," Electron. Lett., Vol. 44, No. 15, 891-892, Jul. 2008.
10. Ye, L.-H. and Q.-X. Chu, "Improved band-notched UWB slot antenna," Electron. Lett., Vol. 45, No. 25, 1283-1285, Dec. 2009.
11. Huang, C.-Y., S.-A. Huang, and C.-F. Yang, "Band-notched ultra-wideband circular slot antenna with inverted C-shaped parasitic strip," Electron. Lett., Vol. 44, No. 15, 891-892, Jul. 2008.
12. Ansoft High Frequency Structure Simulation (HFSS), , Ver. 13, , Ansoft Corporation, 2010.
13. Ojaroudi, N., S. Amiri, and F. Geran, "Reconfigurable monopole antenna with controllable band-notched performance for UWB communication," 20th Telecommunications Forum, TELFOR 2012, 1176-1178, Belgrade, Serbia, Nov. 20-22, 2012.
14. Ojaroudi, N. and M. Ojaroudi, "CPW-fed slot antenna for personal mobile communication service (PCS) and bluetooth applications," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 55, 734-737, 2013.
15. Ojaroudi, N. and M. Ojaroudi, "Dual band-notched monopole antenna with multi-resonance characteristic for UWB wireless communications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 40, 187-199, 2013.
16. Ojaroudi, N. and M. Ojaroudi, "Novel design of dual band-notched monopole antenna with bandwidth enhancement for UWB applications," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 12, 698-701, 2013.