In this paper, a novel dual notch bands Ultra Wide-Band (UWB) antenna for WLAN and WiMAX applications is presented. The antenna contains a taper rectangular monopole antenna with new feed line which is designed and modified for 2-12 GHz. To achieve notch band at WLAN frequencies, different methods are compared, such as L-shape slots for one notch or dual rings in notch designing. On the other hand, the novel F-shape feed line is designed to achieve dual notch band characteristic. The effects of stubs parameters at notch frequencies are presented. The benefit of this novel feed line is designing multi-band and reconfigurable antenna by changing stub line parameters. The simulated results of prototype antenna are obtained with HFSS and CST. Total size of the antenna is 60 mm×60 mm×1.6 mm. It is fabricated on FR-4 low cost substrate and fed by 50 Ω microstrip line.
2. Wang, C., Z.-H. Yan, P. Xu, J.-B. Jiang, and B. Li, "Trident-shaped dual-band CPW-fed monopole antenna for PCS/WLAN applications," IEE Eelectron. Letter, Vol. 47, No. 4, 231-232, Feb. 2011.
3. Zaker, R., C. Ghobadi, and J. Nourinia, "A modified microstrip-fed two-step tapered monopole antenna for UWB and WLAN applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 77, 137-148, 2007.
4. Karmakar, A., S. Verma, M. Pal, and R. Ghatak, "Planar fractal shaped compact monopole antenna for ultrawideband imaging systems," International Journal of Microwave and Optical Technology, Vol. 7, No. 4, 262-267, Jul. 2012.
5. Chen, D. and C.-H. Cheng, "A novel compact ultra-wideband (UWB) wide slot antenna with via holes," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 94, 343-349, 2009.
6. Islam, M. T., R. Azim, and A. T. Mobashsher, "Triple band-notched planar UWB antenna using parasitic strips," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 129, 161-179, 2012.
7. Moradi, K. and S. Nikmehr, "A dual-band dual-polarized microstrip array antenna for base stations," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 123, 527-541, 2012.
8. Mahatthanajatuphat, C., S. Saleekaw, P. Akkaraekthalin, and M. Krairiksh, "A rhombic patch monopole antenna with modi¯ed Minkowski fractal geometry for UMTS, WLAN, and mobile WiMAX application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 89, 57-74, 2009.
9. Bai, Z., J. Liu, and H. H. Chen, "Design of ultra-wideband pulses based on spectrum shifted Gaussian waveforms," IET Commun., Vol. 7, No. 6, 512-520, Apr. 2013.
10. Pandey, G. K., H. S. Singh, P. K. Bharti, and M. K. Meshram, "Design of stepped monopole UWB antenna with WLAN band notched using modified mushroom type EBG structure," IEEE International Conference on Electronics, Computing and Communication Technologies (CONECCT), Vol. 50, 1-6, 2013.
11. Liu, X. L., Y.-Z. Yin, J. H. Wang, and J.-J. Xie, "Compact dual band-notched UWB antenna with parasitic micro-strip lines and T-shape stub," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 41, 55-66, 2013.
12. Adam, A. A., S. K. Abdul Rahim, K. G. Tan, and A. W. Reza, "Design of 3.1-12 GHz printed elliptical disc monopole antenna with half circular modified ground plane for UWB application," Wireless Personal Commun., 535-549, Apr. 2012.
13. Liang, J., C. C. Chiau, X. Chen, and C. G. Parini, "Printed circular disc monopole antenna for ultra wideband applications," IEEE Electron. Lett., Vol. 40, No. 20, 1246-1247, Sep. 2004.
14. Ray, K. P., "Design aspects of printed monopole antennas for ultra-wide band applications," Hindawi Publishing Corporation International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 2008, 2008.
15. Sadat, S., M. Fardis, F. G. Gharakhili, and G. R. Dadashzadeh, "A compact microstrip square-ring slot antenna for UWB applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 67, 173-179, 2007.
16. Mohammad, S., A. Nezhad, H. R. Hassani, and A. Foudazi, "A dual-band WLAN/UWB printed wide slot antenna for MIMO/diversity applications," Microwave Optical Tech. Lett., Vol. 55, No. 3, 461-465, Mar. 2013.
17. Chen, W., Z.-H. Yan, B. Li, and P. Xu, "A dual band-notched UWB printed antenna with C-shaped and U-shaped slots," Microwave Optical Tech. Lett., Vol. 54, No. 6, 1450-1452, Jun. 2012.
18. Barbarino, S. and F. Consoli, "UWB circular slot antenna provided with an inverted-L notch filter for the 5 GHz WLAN band," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 104, 1-13, 2010.
19. Zhang, J., S. W. Cheung, L. Liu, and T. I. Yuk, "Simple notches design for ultra-wideband monopole antennas with coplanar-waveguide-coupled-fed," Microwave Optical Tech. Lett., Vol. 55, No. 5, 1017-1027, May 2013.
20. Liu, X. L., Y.-Z. Yin, P. A. Liu, J. H. Wang, and B. Xu, "A CPW-fed dual band-notched UWB antenna with a pair of bended dual-L-shape parasitic branches," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 136, 623-634, 2013.
21. Lin, Y.-C. and K. J. Hung, "Compact ultra wide band rectangular aperture antenna and band-notched designs," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagation, Vol. 54, No. 11, 3075-3081, Nov. 2006.
22. Pourahmadazar, J., C. Ghobadi, and J. Nourinia, "Novel modified pythagorean tree fractal monopole antennas for UWB applications," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 10, 484-487, 2011.
23. Raslan, A., A. Ibrahim, and A. Safwat, "Resonant type antennas loaded with CRLH unit cell," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 12, 23-26, 2013.
24. Yin, X.-C., C.-L. Ruan, C.-Y. Ding, and J.-H. Chu, "A compact ultra-wideband microstrip antenna with multiple notches," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 84, 321-332, 2008.