This paper presents a frequency and pattern reconfigurable stacked patch microstrip array antenna fed by aperture-coupled technique. The antenna consists of three substrate layers with radiating elements sorted at substrate layer 1 (top patches) and substrate layer 2 (bottom patches). The layers have different sizes to indicate different operating frequencies. On the ground plane, the four sets of two different aperture slot shapes (I-shaped and H-shaped) are used to transfer the wave and signal to particular radiating elements during the PIN diode switches configurations. The I-shaped slots are used to activate the bottom patches while the H-shaped slots are used to activate the top patches. Four PIN diode switches are placed at the feed line, positioned between the I- and H-shaped slots. Next, by changing the PIN diode switches configuration to ten cases, the proposed antenna has capabilities to change the operating frequencies and the pattern characteristics itself. The measured results of return loss, gain and radiation patterns are slightly shift compared to the simulated results.
2. Xiao, S., , B. Z.Wang, and X. S. Yang, "A novel frequency reconfigurable patch antenna," Microwave Opt. and Technol. Lett., Vol. 36, 295-297, Feb. 2003.
3. Kumar, G. and K. P. Ray, Broadband Microstrip Antennas, 1st Ed., Artech House Publisher, Norwood, 2003.
4. Ramli, N., M. T. Ali, A. L. Yusof, S. M. Kayat, H. Alias, and M. A. Sulaiman, "A frequency reconfigurable stacked patch microstrip antenna (FRSPMA) using C-foam in stacked substrate," IEEE Asia-Pacific Conference on Applied Electromagnetics (APACE), 322-326, 2012.
5. Monti, G., L. Corchia, and L. Tarricone, "A microstrip antenna with a reconfigurable pattern for RFID applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 45, 101-116, 2012.
6. Weily, A. R. and Y. J. Guo, "An aperture coupled patch antenna system with MEMS-based reconfigurable polarization," International Symposium on Communications and Information Technologies (ISCIT'07), 325-328, 2007.
7. Ismail, M. F., M. K. A. Rahim, and H. A. Majid, "The investigation of PIN diode switch on reconfigurable antenna," IEEE International Conference on RF and Microwave (RFM), 234-237, 2011.
8. Ramli, N., M. T. Ali, A. L. Yusof, S. Muhamud-Kayat, and H. Alias, "Aperture-coupled frequency-reconfigurable stacked patch microstrip antenna (FRSPMA) integrated with PIN diode switch," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 39, 237-254, 2013.
9. Venneri, F., S. Costanzo, G. Di Massa, A. Borgia, P. Corsonello, and M. Salzano, "Design of a reconfigurable re°ectarray based on a varactor tuned element," 6th European Conference Antennas and Propagation (EUCAP), 2628-2631, 2012.
10. Yamagajo, T. and Y. Koga, "Frequency reconfigurable antenna with MEMS switches for mobile terminals," IEEE-APS. Topical Conference on Antennas and Propagation in Wireless Communications (APWC), 1213-1216, 2011.
11. Piazza, D., M. Capacchione, J. Kountouriotis, M. D'Amico, and K. R. Dandekar, "Stacked reconfigurable circular patch antenna for adaptive MIMO systems," International Conference on Electromagnetics in Advanced Applications, (ICEAA'09), 636-639, 2009.
12. El Hajj, W., F. Gallee, Person, and Christian, "Tri-access tri-band reconfigurable stacked patch wire-plate antenna," 6th European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EUCAP), 3574-3578, 2012.
13. Ruyle, J. E., C.-W. Jung, and J. T. Bernhard, "Reconfigurable stacked patch antenna with beam steering capabilities," IEEE International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation Society, (AP-S 2008), 1-4, 2008.
14. Riel, M. and J. Laurin, "Design of an electronically beam scanning re°ectarray using aperture-coupled elements," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 55, No. 5, 1260-1266, 2007.
15. Venneri, F., S. Costanzo, and G. Di Massa, "Reconfigurable aperture-coupled reflectarray element tuned by single varactor diode," Electronics Letters, Vol. 48, No. 2, 68-69, 2011.
16. Ramli, N., M. T. Ali, A. L. Yusof, S. Muhamud-Kayat, H. Alias, and M. A. Sulaiman, "A recon¯gurable stacked patch microstrip array antenna (RSPMAA) for long term evolution (LTE) and WiMAX applications," 10th International Conference on Electrical Engineering/Electronics, 10th International Conference on Electrical Engineering, 1-5, 2013.