A novel compact planar monopole antenna for UWB applications is proposed in this paper. The proposed novelty of the antenna is attributed to the addition of suitable beveled stubs to a basic circular geometry of the radiator as an improved impedance matching technique to achieve enhanced radiation performances. The feed circuit is a tapered microstrip line with a matching section over a semi-elliptical ground plane. The proposed antenna achieves sufficient impedance bandwidth for a VSWR<2 for frequencies from 3-15 GHz covering the entire UWB range (3.1-10.6 GHz), which is verified experimentally. Also this design achieves good gain, constant group delay and a near omni-directional radiation pattern over the UWB band. The UWB characteristics of the antenna are evaluated in frequency and time domains. Results reveal that the proposed antenna has flat transfer function, linear phase and good impulse response with virtually no ringing which are the essential requirements for an UWB antenna for efficient pulse transmission/reception. The simulated and measured results of these parameters are presented. The performance results of the novel antenna with other designs is also compared and presented.
2. Mohammed, M. G. and Y. M. Yousef, "Bandwidth enhancement techniques comparison for ultra wideband microstrip antennas for wireless application," Journal of Theoretical and Applied Information Technology, Vol. 35, No. 2, Jan. 31, 2012.
3. Al Shaheen, A. and H. Al-Rizzo, "An ultra wide band antenna design for indoor geolocation applications," World Applied Sciences Journal, Vol. 12, No. 8, 1321-1326, 2011, ISSN 1818-4952, IDOSI Publications.
4. Pourahmadazar, J., C. Ghobadi, and J. Nourinia, "Novel modified pythagorean tree fractal monopole antennas for UWB applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 10, 484-487, 2011.
5. Oraizi, H. and S. Hedayati, "Miniaturized UWB monopole microstrip antenna design by the combination of Giusepe Peano and Sierpinski carpet fractals," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propogation Letters, Vol. 10, 67-70, 2011.
6. Al-Husseini, M., A. Ramadan, A. El-Hajj, and K. Y. Kabalan, "Design of a compact and low-cost fractal-based UWB PCB antenna," 26th National Radio Science Conference (NRSC2009), 1-8, Mar. 17-19, 2009.
7. Kumar, R. A., Y. K. Choukiker, and S. K. Behera, "Design of hybrid fractal antenna for UWB application," 2012 International Conference on Computing, Electronics and Electrical Technologies (ICCEET), 691-693, 2012.
8. Ajey, A., K. Shambavi, and Z. C. Alex, "Design and analysis of fractal antenna for UWB applications," 2012 IEEE Students' Conference on Electrical, Electronics and Computer Science, 1-4, 2012.
9. Chen, Z. N., et al., "Planar antennas," IEEE Microwave Magazine, Vol. 7, No. 6, 63-73, Dec. 2006.
10. Giuseppe, R. and M. J. Ammann, "A novel small wideband monopole antenna," Loughborough Antennas & Propagation Conference (LAPC), Loughborough University, UK, Apr. 11-12, 2006.
11. Chen, Z. N., et al., "Circular annular planar monopoles with EM coupling," Proc. Inst. Elect. Eng. Microw Antennas, Propagat., Vol. 150, No. 4, 269-273, Aug. 2003.
12. Ammann, M. J. and Z. N. Chen, "A wideband shorted planar monopole with bevel," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 51, No. 4, 901-903, 2003.
13. Ammann, M. J., "Control of the impedance bandwidth of wideband planar monopole antennas using a beveling technique," Microwave. Opt. Tech. Letters, Vol. 30, No. 4, 229-232, Jul. 2001.
14. Kimouche, H., D. Abed, B. Atrouz, and R. Aksas, "Bandwidth enhancement of rectangular monopole antenna using modified semi-elliptical ground plane and slots," Microwave. Opt. Tech. Letters, Vol. 52, No. 1, 54-58, Jan. 2010.
15. Rahayu, Y., R. Ngah, and T. A. Rahman, "Slotted ultra wideband antenna for bandwidth enhancement,", www.intechopen.com.
16. Liang, J., C. C. Chiau, X. Chen, and C. G. Parini, "Study of a printed circular disc monopole antenna for UWB systems," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 53, No. 11, 3500-3504, Nov. 2005.
17. Wu, Q., R. Jin, J. Geng, and M. Ding, "Pulse preserving capabilities of printed circular disk monopole antennas with di®erent grounds for the specified input signal forms," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 55, No. 10, 2866-2873, Oct. 2007.
18. Gao, G.-P., B. Hu, and J.-S. Zhang, "Design of a miniaturization printed circular-slot UWB antenna by the half-cutting method," EEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 12, 567-570, 2013.
19. Gautam, A. K., S. Yadav, and B. K. Kanaujia, "A CPW-fed compact UWB microstrip antenna," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 12, 151-154, Mar. 2013.
20. Thwin, S. S., "Compact asymmetric inverted cone ring monopole antenna for UWB applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 36, 57-65, 2013.