In this paper, a circular microstrip patchcentrally etched with a cross slot is studied. The slot dimensions are varied for controlling the reflection lossand thephase range of a reflectarray. It is found that the dominant TM mode of the slotted circular patch can be easily excited, and the slot length can be varied to function as a phase-changing parameter. Cross slots with equal and unequal arms are investigated. Study shows that the slope of the S curve can be made slow-changing by increasing the slot width. A maximum reflection phase range of 328.68º is achievable in the S curve. Rectangular waveguide method has been deployedfor simulating and verifying the design idea. Reasonable agreement is found between the measurement and simulation.
2. Pozar, D. M., S. D. Targonski, and H. D. Syrigos, "Design of millimeter wave microstrip reflectarrays," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 45, No. 2, 287-296, Feb. 1997.
3. Huang, J. and J. A. Encinar, Reflectarray Antennas, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., Hoboken, 2007.
4. Encinar, J. A., "Design of two-layer printed reflectarrays using patches of variable size," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 49, No. 10, 1403-1410, Oct. 2001.
5. Huang, J., "Analysis of a microstrip reflectarray antenna for microspacecraft application,", TDA Progress Report 42-120, 153-173, Feb. 1995.
6. Trampuz, C., M. Hajian, and L. P. Ligthart, "Design, analysis and measurements of reflected phased array microstrip antennas at Ka-band, using hollow phasing," 3rd European Radar Conference, 57-60, Sep. 2006.
7. Cadoret, D., A. Laisne, R. Gillard, and H. Leday, "A new reflectarray cell using microstrip patches loaded with slots," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 44, No. 3, 270-272, 2005.
8. Chaharmir, M. R., J. Shaker, M. Cuhaci, and A. Sebak, "Reflectarray with variable slots on ground plane," IEE Proceedings --- Microwaves, Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 150, No. 6, 439-439, Dec. 2003.
9. Pham, K. T., B. D. Nguyen, V. Tran, L. P. Bui, and L. Mai, "Reflectarray element based on variable line length for millimeter-wave radar applications," International Conference on Advanced Technologies for Communication, 218-221, Oct. 2012.
10. Zhou, D., Z. Niu, and R. Li, "Investigation on a single-layer microstrip circular-patch/ring-combination reflectarray element," Cross Strait Quad-Regional Radio Science and Wireless Technology Conference, Vol. 1, 664-667, Jul. 2011.
11. Zubir, F. and M. K. A. Rahim, "Simulated fractals shape for unit cell reflectarray," Asia Pacific Microwave Conference, 583-586, Dec. 2009.
12. Robinson, A. W. and M. E. Bialkowski, "An X-band active microstrip reflectarray," Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference Proceedings, Vol. 3, 925-928, Dec. 1997.
13. Eriksson, A., P. Linner, and S. Gevorgian, "Mode chart of electrically thin parallel-plate circular resonators," IEE Proceedings --- Microwaves, Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 148, No. 1, 51-55, Feb. 2001.
14. Dzulkipli, I., M. H. Jamaluddin, R. Gillard, R. Sauleau, R. Ngah, M. R. Kamarudin, N. Seman, and M. K. Abd Rahim, "Mutual coupling analysis using FDTD for dielectric resonator antenna reflectarray radiation prediction," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 41, 121-136, 2012.