In this paper, a quad-antenna system for laptop computers is studied. Because two dual-antenna systems can construct a quad-antenna system, the dual-antenna systems in the open literature are utilized. The mutual coupling between the two dual-antenna systems is analyzed and reduced. To validate the design of a quad-antenna system, the quad-antenna system, consisting of two dual-antenna systems proposed in the open literature and a decoupling element, is fabricated and tested. Its measured -10 dB impedance bandwidths are 200 MHz (2.33-2.52 GHz) and 1.62 GHz (4.5-6.12 GHz). The measured mutual couplings are below -15.5/-19 dB at the 2.4- and 5.2/5.8-GHz WLAN bands, respectively. The measured gains are better than 2.4/3.9 dBi with efficiencies higher than 70%/72% at the two bands, respectively. The envelop correlation coefficient is evaluated based on the measured results.
1. Poole, I., "IEEE 802.11ac Gigabit Wi-Fi,", 2013, Online Available: http://www.radio-electronics.com/info/wireless/wi-fi/ieee-802-11ac-gigabit.php. doi:10.1109/TAP.2004.835272
2., "Wireless LAN specification to provide significantlyimproved data throughput and range,", IEEE 802.11n, 2012, Online Available: http://standards.ieee.org/announcements/ieee802.11n. doi:10.2528/PIER07052203
3. Jensen, M. A. and J. W. Wallace, "A review of antennas and propagation for MIMO wireless communication," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 52, No. 11, 2810-2824, Nov. 2004. doi:10.2528/PIER12040603
4. Wen, G., "Multi-antenna information theory," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 75, 11-50, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER12090610
5. Yu, X. H., L.Wang, H.-G.Wang, X.Wu, and Y.-H. Shang, "A novel multiport matching method for maximum capacity of an indoor MIMO system," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 130, 67-84, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIER12080604
6. Sharawi, M. S., A. B. Numan, and D. N. Aloi, "Isolation improvement in a dual-band dual-element MIMO antenna system using capacitively loaded loops," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 134, 247-266, 2013. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2012.2188824
7. Lee, J.-H. and C.-C. Cheng, "Spatial correlation of multiple antenna arrays in wireless communication systems," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 132, 347-368, 2012. doi:10.1002/mop.24831
8. Addaci, R., A. Diallo, C. Luxey, P. L. Thuc, and R. Staraj, "Dual-band WLAN diversity antenna system with high port-to-port isolation," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 11, 244-247, 2012. doi:10.1002/mop.27279
9. Kang, T. W. and K.-L. Wong, "Isolation improvement of 2.4/5.2/5.8 GHz WLAN internal laptop computer antennas using dual-band strip resonator as a wavetrap," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 52, No. 1, 58-64, Apr. 2010. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2014.2303495
10. Wong, K.-L., H.-H. Jiang, and Y.-C. Kao, "High-isolation 2.4/5.2/5.8-GHz WLAN MIMO antenna array for laptop computer application," Micro. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 55, No. 2, 382-387, 2013.
11. Guo, L., Y. Wang, Z. Du, Y. Gao, and D. Shi, "A compact uniplanar printed dual-antenna operating at the 2.4/5.2/5.8-GHz WLAN bands for laptop computers," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 13, 229-232, 2014.
13. Martin, C. C., J. H. Winters, and N. R. Sollenberger, "Multiple-input multiple-output (MIMO) radio channel measurements," Proc. IEEE VTC Fall 2000, Vol. 2, 774-779, 2000. doi:10.1109/TAP.2010.2103020
14. Guterman, J., A. A. Moreira, and C. Reixeiro, "Integration of omnidirectional wrapped microstrip antennas into laptops," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 5, 141-144, 2006. doi:10.1163/156939312800030929
15. Wong, K. L., W.-Y. Chen, and T.-W. Kang, "On-board printed coupled-fed loop antenna in close proximity to the surrounding ground plane for penta-band WWAN mobile phone," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 59, No. 3, 751-757, Mar. 2011. doi:10.1109/T-VT.1987.24115
16. Chen, J.-H., Y.-L. Ban, H.-M. Yuan, and Y.-J. Wu, "Printed coupled-fed PIFA for seven-band GSM/UMTS/LTE/WWAN mobile phone," Journal of Electromagnetics Waves and Applications, Vol. 26, No. 2-3, 390-401, 2012.
17. Vaughan, G. B. and J. B. Andersen, "Antenna diversity in mobile communication," IEEE Trans. Veh. Technol., Vol. 36, No. 4, 149-172, Nov. 1987.