A dual-band capacitive coupled planar inverted F antenna is presented. The antenna operates in two bands centered around 1.5 GHz and 2.4 GHz with nearly omnidirectional radiation pattern in the entire operating band. It offers a peak gain of 2.4 dBi at 1.5 GHz and 7 dBi at 2.4 GHz with an average efficiency of 82%, 97% respectively. Effects of key design parameters such as the distance between feed strip and radiator patch, the dimensions of the feed strip on the input characteristics of the antenna and length of slot have been investigated and discussed. The antenna is compact and simple to fabricate. The antenna posses an overall dimension of 10×40×6 mm3 when fabricated on substrate of dielectric constant 4.4 and thickness 1.6 mm.
2. Tong, K. F., K. M. Luk, K. F. Lee, and R. Q. Lee, "A broad-band U-slot rectangular patch antenna on a microwave substrate," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagat., Vol. 48, No. 6, 954-960, Jun. 2000.
3. Kish, A. A., K. F. Lee, W. C. Mok, and K. M. Luk, "A wide-band small size microstrip antenna proximately coupled to a hook shape probe," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagat., Vol. 52, No. 1, 59-65, Jan. 2004.
4. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory: Analysis and Design, 2nd Edition, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 1997.
5. Kumar, S., M. Rai, R. Kumar, and J. Ghosh, "Analysis and design of capacitive coupled wideband microstrip antenna in C and X band," International Journal of Engineering and Advanced Technology, Vol. 2, No. 4, Apr. 2013.
6. Kasabegoudar, V. G., D. S. Upadhyay, and K. J. Vinoy, "Design studies of ultra-wideband microstrip antennas with a small capacitive feed," Hindawi Publishing Corporation International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 2007, No. 8, Oct. 2007.
7. Kasabegoudar, V. G. and K. J. Vinoy, "A wideband microstrip antenna with symmetric radiation patterns," Microwave and optical Technology Letters, Vol. 50, No. 8, Aug. 2008.
8. Ridgers, G. M., J. W. Odendaal, and J. Joubert, "Single-layer capacitive feed for wideband probe-fed microstrip antenna elements," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagat., Vol. 51, No. 6, Jun. 2003.
9. Musale, P. D., S. V. Hobragade, and V. R. Anitha, "A broadband microstrip antennas with different shapes of capacitive feed strip," International Conference on Electronics Computer Technology.
10. Kasabegoudar, V. G., "Dual frequency ring antennas with coplanar capacitive feed," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 23, 27-39, Jul. 2011.
11. Chen, J. H., Y. L. Ban, and L. J. Ying, "Compact PIFA using capacitive coupled-fed for LTE/GSM/UMTS/WWAN operation in the mobile application," Cross Strait Quad-regional Radio Science and Wireless Technology Conference, Harbin, Jul. 26-30, 2011.
12. Wong, K. L., M. F. Tu, T. Y. Wu, and W. Y. Li, "Small-size coupled-fed printed PIFA for internal eight-band LTE/GSM/UMTS mobile phone antenna," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 52, No. 9, 2123-2128, Sep. 2010.