In this paper two novel antennas, suitable for access and backhaul links, are designed, fabricated and tested for a Relay Station in a WiMAX wireless network. A single modified E-shaped patch antenna is described, presenting 10 dB gain over 12.4% bandwidth. This antenna element is used for the design of a 4×4 planar array which provides experimental gain of 21.2 dB. The antenna system on the Relay Station operates at 3.4 GHz and includes one single antenna element for access link realization and an antenna array for the backhaul link realization. These antennas are installed in two configuration arrangements and tested in terms of their radiation performances and coupling effects. The simulated and measured results are quite satisfactory and in good agreement at which the maximum coupling between the access and backhaul antennas is found below -25 dB for all tested cases.
2. Guha, D., Microstrip and Printed Antennas: New Trends, Techniques and Applications, 1st Ed., Wiley, 2010.
3. Izadi, H. and M. Mehrparvar, "A compact microstrip slot antenna with novel E-shaped coupling aperture," 5th International Symposium on Telecommunications (IST), 110-114, Dec. 2010.
4. Prajapati, P. R. and M. V. Kartikeyan, "Proximity coupled stacked circular disc microstrip antenna with reduced size and enhanced bandwidth using DGS for WLAN/WiMAX applications," IEEE Conference on Electrical, Electronics and Computer Science (SCEECS), 1-4, Mar. 2012.
5. Kim, J.-H., H. C. Kim, and K. Chun, "Performance enhancements of a microstrip antenna with multiple layer substrates," International Symposium on Signals, Systems and Electronics (ISSSE), 319-322, Aug. 2007.
6. Visser, H. J., "Array and Phased Array Antenna Basics," Wiley, 2005.
7. Hajilou, Y., H. R. Hassani, and B. Rahmati, "Mutual coupling reduction between microstrip patch antennas," 6th European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EUCAP), 1-4, Mar. 2012.
8. Guha, D., S. Biswas, and A. Banerjee, "Annular ring shaped DGS to reduce mutual coupling between two microstrip patches," Applied Electromagnetics Conference (AEMC), 1-3, Dec. 2009.
9. Rajo-Iglesias, E., O. Quevedo-Teruel, and L. Inclan-Sanchez, "Mutual coupling reduction in patch antenna arrays by using a planar EBG structure and a multilayer dielectric substrate," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 56, No. 6, 1648-1655, Jun. 2008.
10. Jolani, F., A. M. Dadgarpour, and G. Dadashzadeh, "Reduction of mutual coupling between dual-element antennas with new PBG techniques," 13th International Symposium on Antenna Technology and Applied Electromagnetics and the Canadian Radio Science Meeting (ANTEM/UR), 1-4, Feb. 2009.
11. IEEE Std 802.16j-2009 (Amendment to IEEE Std 802.16-2009), "IEEE standard for local and metropolitan area networks Part 16: Air interface for broadband wireless access systems amendment 1: Multihop relay specification,", 2009.
12. Bhartia, P., Microstrip Antenna Design Handbook, 875, Artech House Publishers, 2001.
13. Deshmukh, A. A., M. Parulekar, S. Kadam, A. Kadam, and K. P. Ray, "Broadband proximity fed modified E-shaped microstrip antenna," National Conference on Communications (NCC), 1-5, Jan. 2011.
14. Fong, K. S., H. F. Pues, and M. J. Withers, "Wideband multilayer coaxial-fed microstrip antenna element," Electronics Letters, Vol. 21, No. 11, 497-499, May 1985.
15. Abboud, F., J. P. Damiano, and A. Papiernik, "Accurate model for the input impedance of coax-fed rectangular microstrip antenna with and without air-gaps," Sixth International Conference on Antennas and Propagation, (ICAP), 102-106, Apr. 1989.
16. Jackson, D. R. and N. G. Alexopoulos, "Simple formulas for the input impedance, bandwidth, and radiation e±ciency of a rectangular patch," Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, (AP-S), 1130-1133, Jun. 1989.
17. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory: Analysis and Design, 3rd Ed., Wiley-Interscience, 2005.
18. Petropoulos, I., et al., "A novel design of microstrip arrays for relay-based wireless network," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 2011, 2011.