A compact microstrip-fed antenna with dual band-notched characteristics for ultrawideband (UWB) applications is presented. By introducing two open-ended inverted L-shaped slots, two sharp notches are achieved at frequencies of 3.16-3.70 GHz and 5.10-5.95 GHz for VSWR < 2. A rectangular slot in the ground plane can improve the impedance bandwidth of the proposed antenna. The prototype occupies a compact area of 22 × 26 mm2. The measurement results indicate that the proposed antenna can reject the interference with coexisting worldwide interoperability for microwave access (WiMAX) and wireless local area network (WLAN) systems. The proposed antenna shows relatively omnidirectional radiation patterns in the pass band.
2. Gao, P., S. He, X. Wei, N. Wang, and Y. Zheng, "Compact printed UWB diversity slot antenna with 5.5-GHz band-notched characteristics," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 13, 714-717, Feb. 2014.
3. Chu, Q.-X. and T.-G. Huang, "Compact UWB antenna with sharp band-notched characteristics for lower WLAN band," Electron. Lett., Vol. 47, No. 15, 838-839, Jul. 2011.
4. Seo, Y. S., J. W. Jung, H. J. Lee, and Y. S. Lim, "Design of trapezoid monopole antenna with band-notched performance for UWB," Electron. Lett., Vol. 48, No. 12, 673-674, Jun. 2012.
5. Mohammadi, S., J. Nourinia, C. Ghobadi, and M. Majidzadeh, "Compact CPW-fed rotated square-shaped patch slot antenna with band-notched function for UWB applications," Electron. Lett., Vol. 48, No. 12, 1307-1308, Nov. 2011.
6. Lee, J., K. Kim, H. Ryu, and J. Woo, "A compact ultrawideband MIMO antenna with WLAN band-rejected operation for mobile devices," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 11, 990-993, Aug. 2012.
7. Sarkar, D., K. Sarkar, and K. Saurav, "A compact microstrip-fed triple band-notched UWB monopole antenna," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 13, 396-399, Feb. 2014.
8. Liu, J. J., K. P. Esselle, S. G. Hay, and S. S. Zhong, "Planar ultra-wideband antenna with five notched stop bands," Electron. Lett., Vol. 49, No. 9, 838-839, Jun. 2013.
9. Choi, N., C. Jung, J. Byun, F. Harackiewicz, M. Park, Y. Chung, T. Kim, and B. Lee, "Compact UWB antenna with I-shaped band-notch parasitic element for laptop applications," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 8, 580-582, 2009.
10. Ojaroudi, N., "Application of protruded strip resonators to design an UWB slot antenna with WLAN band-notched characteristic," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 47, 111-117, 2014.
11. Akbari, M., M. Khodaee, S. Zarbakhsh, and R. Gholam, "A simple UWB antenna with dual stop-band performance using rectangular slot and strip line ended up shorting pin," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 42, 83-94, 2013.
12. Nasser, O. and M. Ojaroudi, "Dual band-notched monopole antenna with multi-resonance characteristic for UWB wireless communications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 40, 187-199, 2013.