Equilateral-triangular slot antennas with modified edges for wideband circular polarization are proposed in this paper. Circular polarization was firstly obtained by adding two asymmetric perturbations to two edges of triangular slot. Then fractal-like boundaries were adopted in the antenna design for size reduction and broadband operation. Two antenna prototypes for RFID readers were fabricated to cover RFID UHF band and ISM 2.4 GHz band, respectively. Measured results show that the presented antennas obtain fairly wide 3-dB axial ratio bandwidths of 15.7% (820-960 MHz) and 19.8% (2.18-2.66 GHz).
2. Lin, Y.-F., C.-H. Lee, S.-C. Pan, and H.-M. Chen, "Proximity-fed circularly polarized slotted patch antenna for RFID handheld reader," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 61, No. 10, 5283-5286, 2013.
3. Sze, J.-Y., C.-I. G. Hsu, M.-H. Ho, Y.-H. Ou, and M.-T. Wu, "Design of circularly polarized annular-ring slot antennas fed by a double-bent microstripline," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 55, No. 11, 3134-3139, 2007.
4. hang, J. L. and X. Q. Yang, "Integrated compact circular polarization annular ring slot antenna design for RFID reader," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 39, 133-140, 2013.
5. Chou, C. C., K. H. Lin, and H. L. Su, "Broadband circularly polarised cross-patch-loaded square slot antenna," Electronics Letters, Vol. 43, No. 9, 485-486, 2007.
6. Lu, J.-H. and S.-F.Wang, "Planar broadband circularly polarized antenna with square slot for UHF RFID reader," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 61, No. 1, 45-53, 2013.
7. Lin, Y.-F., H.-M. Chen, F.-H. Chu, and S.-C. Pan, "Bidirectional radiated circularly polarised square-ring antenna for portable RFID reader," Electronics Letters, Vol. 44, No. 24, 1383-1384, 2008.
8. Latif, S. I. and L. Shafai, "Circular polarization from dual-layer square-ring microstrip antennas," IET Microwaves, Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 6, No. 1, 1-9, 2012.
9. Rasheed, A. A. and G. Kumar, "Single feed circularly polarized modified triangular microstrip antennas," Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, Vol. 2, 818-821, 1994.
10. Lu, J.-H. and K.-L. Wong, "Single-feed circularly polarized equilateral-triangular microstrip antenna with a tuning stub," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 48, No. 12, 1869-1872, 2000.
11. Yeh, C. H., Y. W. Hsu, and C. Y. D. Sim, "Equilateral triangular patch antenna for UHF RFID applications," International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-Aided Engineering, 2014, Doi: 10.1002/mmce.20801.
12. Hwang, K. C., "Broadband circularly-polarised Spidron fractal slot antenna," Electronics Letters, Vol. 45, No. 1, 3-4, 2009.
13. Raviteja, C., C. Varadhan, M. Kanagasabai, A. K. Sarma, and S. Velan, "A fractal-based circularly polarized UHF RFID reader antenna," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 13, 499-502, 2014.
14. Pakkathillam, J. K., M. Kanagasabai, C. Varadhan, and P. Sakthivel, "A novel fractal antenna or UHF near-field RFID readers," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 12, 1141-1144, 2013.
15. Dasgupta, S., B. Gupta, and H. Saha, "Compact equilateral triangular patch antenna with slot loading," Microwave and Optical Tehcnology Letters, Vol. 56, No. 2, 268-274, 2014.