This paper presents the development of an Ultra Wide Band (UWB) monopole antenna with dual band notch characteristics. Modified crown-square shaped fractal slots in the ground-plane are implemented to enhance the impedance bandwidth to around 58% as compared to conventional square monopole antenna without slots. Impedance bandwidth of the proposed antenna is approximately 114% with Voltage standing wave ratio (VSWR)<2. In addition to this, two omega-shaped (Ω) slots have been incorporated in the radiating patch to render band-notch characteristics centered at 5.5-GHz band assigned to IEEE802.11a and HIPERLAN/2 as well as X-band for satellite communication centered at 7.5-GHz band. Measured antenna gain is stable over the entire UWB region except at the notch bands. Radiation pattern of the antenna show that the proposed antenna exhibits nearly monopole like E plane radiation patterns and omni-directional H plane radiation patterns throughout the band. A fabricated prototype is developed with close agreement between simulated and measured results.
2. Emadian, S. R., C. Ghobadi, J. Nourinia, M. H. Mirmozafari, and J. Pourahmadazar, "Bandwidth enhancement of CPW-fed circle-like slot antenna with dual band-notched characteristic," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 11, 543-546, 2012.
3. Emadian, R., M. Mirmozafari, C. Ghobadi, and J. Nourinia, "Bandwidth enhancement of dual band-notched circle-like slot antenna," Electronics Letters, Vol. 48, No. 7, 356-357, 2012.
4. Movahedinia, R., M. Ojaroudi, and S. S. Madani, "Small modified monopole antenna for ultra-wideband application with desired frequency band-notch functions," IET Microwaves, Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 5, No. 11, 1380-1385, 2011.
5. Jahromi, M. N., A. Falahati, and R. M. Edwards, "Application of fractal binary tree slot to design and construct a dual band-notch CPW-ground-fed ultra-wide band antenna," IET Microwaves, Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 5, No. 12, 1424-1430, 2011.
6. Lin, C.-C., J. Peng, and R. W. Ziolkowski, "Single, dual and tri-band-notched ultrawideband (UWB) antennas using capacitively loaded loop (CLL) resonators," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 60, No. 1, 102-109, 2012.
7. Ghatak, R., B. Biswas, A. Karmakar, and D. R. Poddar, "A circular fractal UWB antenna based on Descartes circle theorem with band rejection capability," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 37, 235-248, 2013.
8. Ojaroudi, M. and N. Ojaroudi, "Low profile slot antenna with dual band-notched function for UWB system," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 55, 951-954, 2013.
9. Yazdi, M. and N. Komjani, "Planer UWB monopole antenna with dual band-notched characteristic for UWB application," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 55, 241-245, 2013.
10. Cai, L. Y., Y. Li, G. Zeng, and H. C. Yang, "Compact wideband antenna with double-fed structure having band-notched characteristics," Electronics Letters, Vol. 46, No. 23, 1534-1536, 2010.
11. Ghatak, R., A. Karmakar, and D. R. Poddar, "Hexagonal boundary Sierpinski carpet fractal shaped compact ultrawideband antenna with band rejection functionality," International Journal of Electronics and Communication (AEÜ), Vol. 67, 250-255, 2013.
12. Ghatak, R., C. Goswami, R. K. Mishra, and D. R. Poddar, "A CPW fed planar monopole antenna with modified H shaped slot for WLAN/Wi-MAX application," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 54, 1296-1301, 2012.
13. Tang, M.-C., S. Xiao, T. Deng, D. Wang, J. Guan, B. Wang, and G.-D. Ge, "Compact UWB antenna with multiple band notches for Wimax and WLAN," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 59, No. 4, 1372-1376, 2011.
14. Kim, D. O., C. Y. Kim, J. K. Park, and N. I. Jo, "Compact band notched ultrawide band antenna using the Hilbert curve slot," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 53, 2642-2648, 2011.
15. Esmati, Z. and M. Moosazadeh, "Dual band notched ultra wide band antenna by using step by step design inside conductor backed plane," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 55, 1069-1074, 2013.
16. Ojaroudi, N. and M. Jaroudi, "A novel design of reconfigurable small monopole antenna with switchable band notch and multi resonance functions for UWB application," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 55, 652-656, 2013.
17. Falahati, A., M. Naghshvarian-Jahromi, and R. M. Edwards, "Bandwidth enhancement and decreasing ultra-wideband pulse response distortion of Penta-Gasket-Koch monopole antennas using compact-grounded co-planar wave guides," IET Microwaves, Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 5, No. 1, 48-56, 2011.
18. Ojaroudi, M., C. Ghobadi, and J. Nourinia, "Small square monopole antenna with inverted T-shaped notch in the ground plane for UWB application," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 8, 728-731, 2009.
19. Ojaroudi, N. and M. Ojaroudi, "Small monopole antenna with multi resonance characteristic by using rotated T-shaped slit and parasitic structure for UWB system," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 55, 482-485, 2013.
20. Ojaroudi, N., M. Ojaroudi, and S. Amiri, "Compact UWB microstrip antenna with satellite down-link frequency rejection in X-band communications by etching a T-shaped step-impedance resonator slot," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 55, 922-926, 2013.
21. Werner, H. D. and S. Ganguly, "An overview of fractal antenna engineering research," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 45, No. 1, 38-57, 2003.
22. Puente, C., J. Romeu, and A. Cardama, "The Koch monopole: A small fractal antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 48, No. 11, 1773-1781, 2000.
23. Gianvittorio, J. P. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "Fractal antennas: A novel antenna miniaturization technique, and applications," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 44, No. 11, 20-36, 2002.
24. Best, S. R., "A discussion on the significance of geometry in determining the resonant behavior of fractal and other non-euclidean wire antennas," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 5, No. 3, 9-28, 2003.
25. Sengupta, K. and K. J. Vinoy, "A new measure of lacunarity for generalized fractals and its impact in the electromagnetic behavior of Koch dipole antennas," Fractals, Vol. 14, No. 4, 271-282, 2006.
26. Comisso, M., "On the use of dimension and lacunarity for comparing the resonant behavior of convoluted wire antennas," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 96, 361-376, 2009.
27. Dehkhoda, P. and A. Tavakoli, "Crown-Sierpinski microstrip antenna: Further reduction of the size of a crown square fractal," IEEE AP-S International Symposium, Vol. 1B, 247-250, 2005.
28. Falconer, K., Fractal Geometry, Mathematical Foundations and Applications, 2nd Ed., John Wiley & Sons, New York, 2003.