Fresnel Zone Plate Lenses (FZPLs) are transparent-opaque lenses that filter the desirable phase. The centred Fresnel lenses have a strong back radiation towards the feed. In order to solve this drawback, offset feeding or offset pointing lenses are used. In this work, both offset FZPLs are studied using an optical physics method and experimentally characterized in the millimeter band. Two prototypes have been manufactured and measured, presenting a narrow beamwidth. The characteristics of pointing of this beam are studied depending on the feed gain. This work shows the pointing characteristics of the lenses, simply moving the lens in a plane.
2. Minin, O. V. and I. V. Minin, Diffractional Optics of Millimeter Waves, Institute of Physics, Publishing, Bristol, UK, 2004.
3. Yun, W. B., "Mossbauer-Fresnel zone plate," Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 71, No. 11, 5709-5711, 1992.
4. Stouy-Grandy, S. M., A. Petosa, I. V. Minin, O. V. Minin, and J. Wight, "A systematic study of varying reference phase in the design of circular Fresnel zone plate antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 54, No. 12, 3629-3637, Dec. 2006.
5. Reid, D. R. and G. S. Smith, "A full electromagnetic analysis for the Soret and folded zone plate antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 54, No. 12, 3638-3646, Dec. 2006.
6. Webb, G. W., I. V. Minin, and O. V. Minin, "Variable reference phase in diffractive antennas: Review, applications, new results," IEEE Antennas Propag. Mag., Vol. 53, No. 2, 77-94, Mar. 2011.
7. Gallacher, T. F., D. A. Robertson, and G. M. Smith, "The photo-injected Fresnel zone plate antenna: Optoelectronic beam steering at mm-wave frequencies," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 61, No. 4, 1688-1696, Apr. 2013.
8. Karimkachi, S. and A. A. Kishk, "Focusing properties of Fresnel zone plate lens antennas in the near-field region," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 59, No. 5, 1481-1487, May 2011.
9. Chen, G.-S. and H.-C. Yeh, "Polarization-selective color-filter Fresnel lens in polymer-stabilized cholesteric liquicrystals," Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 112, 054501, 2012.
10. Black, D. and J. C. Wiltse, "Millimeter-wave characteristics of phase-correcting Fresnel zone plates," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 35, No. 12, 1122-1129, Dec. 1987.
11. Hristov, H. D. and J. M. Rodriguez, "Design equation for multidielectric Fresnel zone plate lens," IEEE Microwave Wire. Comp. Letters, Vol. 22, No. 11, 574-576, 2011.
12. Hristov, H. D. and M. H. A. J. Herben, "Quarter-wave Fresnel zone planar lens and antenna," IEEE Microw. Guided Wave Letters, Vol. 5, No. 8, 249-251, Aug. 1995.
13. Aieta, F., P. Genevet, M. A. Kats, N. Yu, R. Blanchrad, Z. Gaburro, and F. Capasso, "Aberration-free ultra-thin flat lenses and axicons at telecom wavelengths based on plasmonic metasurfaces," Nano Letters, Vol. 12, No. 9, 4932-4936, 2012.
14. Guo, Y. J. and S. K. Barton, "Offset Fresnel zone plate antennas," Int. J. of Satellite Communications, Vol. 12, No. 4, 381-385, 1994.
15. Van Outen, J. M. and M. H. A. J. Herben, "The elliptical Fresnel zone plate antennas," Ninth International Conference on Antennas and Propagation, (Conf. Publ. No. 407), Vol. 1, 997-1001, 1995.
16. Tuovinen, J., A. Vasara, and A. V. Raisanen, "A new type of compact antenna test range," Proceedings of the 22nd European Microwave Conference, Vol. 1, 503-508, Espoo, 1992.
17. Sehm, T., J. Ala-Laurinaho, T. Hirvonen, and A. V. Raisanen, "Antenna measurement using hologram CATR," Electronics Letters, Vol. 35, No. 10, 757-758, 1999.
18. Hirvonen, T., J. P. S. Ala-Laurinaho, J. Tuovinen, and A. V. Raisanen, "Compact antenna test range based on a hologram," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 45, No. 8, 1270-1276, Aug. 1997.
19. Hakli, J., T. Koskinen, A. Lonnqvist, J. Saily, V. Viikari, J. Mallat, J. Ala-Laurinaho, J. Tuovinen, and A. V. Raisanen, "Testing of a 1.5-m reflector antenna at 322 GHz in a CATR based on a hologram," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 53, No. 10, 3142-3150, Oct. 2005.
20. Karttunen, A., J. Ala-Laurinaho, M. Vaaja, T. Koskinen, J. Hakli, A. Lonnqvist, J. Mallat, A. Tamminen, V. Viikari, and A. V. Raisanen, "Antenna tests with a hologram-based CATR at 650 GHz," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 57, No. 3, 711-720, Mar. 2009.
21. FEKO Suite 6.2, Stellenbosch, South Africa, , 2013.