A 12-element triangular-grid rectangular radial line helical array antenna is proposed and investigated. The major characteristic of this antenna is that its radiation elements are arranged in triangular-grid, which is helpful to reducing the number of elements demanded for a certain antenna aperture and grating lobe suppression capacity. The radiation element is optimized to facilitate the manufacture. The feed system with six different groups of output ports is designed to obtain equal-amplitude output using three kinds of probes. An antenna prototype with the center frequency of 2.856 GHz is simulated and measured. In the range of 2.75-2.95 GHz, the experimental result shows an antenna VSWR below 1.2, an antenna gain over 16.3 dB, and an aperture efficiency more than 80%. The field distributions of this antenna are analyzed through simulation, which prove its advantage of high power-handling capacity. Its ability to be used as a sub-array is also demonstrated by forming a 48-element array antenna.
2. Li, X. Q., Q. X. Liu, X. J. Wu, L. Zhao, J. Q. Zhang, and Z. Q. Zhang, "A GW level high-power radial line helical array antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 56, No. 9, 2943-2948, 2008.
3. Li, X. Q., Q. X. Liu, J. Q. Zhang, L. Zhao, and Z. Q. Zhang, "The high-power radial line helical circular array antenna: Theory and development," 2010 International Conference on Microwave and Millimeter Wave Technology Proceedings, 671-674, 2010.
4. Li, X.-Q., Q.-X. Liu, J.-Q. Zhang, and L. Zhao, "16-element single-layer rectangular radial line helical array antenna for high-power applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 9, 708-711, 2010.
5. Li, X.-Q., Q.-X. Liu, and J.-Q. Zhang, "Double-layer radial line helical array antenna with rectangular aperture," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 31, 15-24, 2012.
6. Kraus, J. D. and R. J. Marhefka, Antenna: For All Application, McGraw-Hill, New York, 2002.
7. Jameson, R. A., "High brightness RF linear accelerators," Proc. ASI Conf. on High Brightness Accelerators, 497, Pitlochry, 1986.
8. Teshirogi, T., M. Tanaka, and W. Chujo, "Wideband circularly polarized array antenna with sequential rotations and phase shift of elements," Int. Symp. on Ant. and Prop., 1985.
9. Huang, J., "A technique for an array to generate circular polarization with linear polarized elements," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 34, No. 9, 1113-1124, Sep. 1986.
10. Skolnik, M. I., Radar Handbook, 3rd Edition, McGraw-Hill, New York, 2008.