A new miniaturization methodology suitable for printed linear antennas is presented. Miniaturization is accomplished by replacing a linear radiator element of a conventional antenna with a compact continuously varying-impedance profile governed by a truncated Fourier series. A design example of a printed half-wavelength dipole antenna is designed and realized in microstrip technology. The performance of the proposed antenna is compared with its equivalent uniform dipole to highlight the performance equivalency. With a 25% reduction in the dipole arm length, both antennas show a measured peak gain and a fractional bandwidth of 5.4 dBi and 16%, respectively at 2.5 GHz; hence, the overall electrical performance is preserved. It will be shown that the design procedure is systematic and accurate. The proposed approach has potential for achieving advanced frequency characteristics, such as broad- and multi-band antenna responses.
2. Byungje, L. and F. J. Harackiewicz, "Miniature microstrip antenna with a partially filled high-permittivity substrate," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 50, No. 8, 1160-1162, Aug. 2002.
3. Antoniades, M. and G. Eleftheriades, "Multiband compact printed dipole antennas using NRI-TL metamaterial loading," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 60, No. 12, 5613-5626, Dec. 2012.
4. Sigalas, M. M., R. Biswas, and K.-M. Ho, "Theoretical study of dipole antennas on photonic band-gap materials," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 13, No. 4, 205-209, 1996.
5. Eldek, A., "A miniaturized patch antenna at 2.4GHz using uni-planar compact photonic band gap structure," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 50, No. 5, 1360-1363, 2008.
6. Azad, M. and M. Ali, "A new class of miniature embedded inverted-F antennas (IFAs) for 2.4GHz WLAN application," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 54, No. 9, 2585-2592, Sept. 2006.
7. Bayraktar, Z., M. Komurcu, Z. Jiang, D. Werner, and P. Werner, "Stub-loaded inverted-F antenna synthesis via wind driven optimization," IEEE Int. Symposium on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 2920, No. 2923, Spokane, Washington, Jul. 2011.
8. Chair, R., K. M. Luk, and K.-F. Lee, "Miniature multilayer shorted patch antenna," Electronics Lett., Vol. 36, No. 1, 3-4, Jan. 2000.
9. Zhang, Y. and H.-Y. Yang, "Miniaturized printed folded dipole antennas," IEEE Antennas and Propag. Society International Symposium, 1-4, Jun. 2009.
10. Kim, J., M. Nagatoshi, and H. Morishita, "Study on miniaturization of a strip folded dipole antenna with two linear conductors," Proc. the 5th European Conference on Antennas and Propag., 342-345, Rome, Italy, Apr. 2011.
11. Boone, J., S. Krishnan, E. Stefanakos, Y. Goswami, and S. Bhansali, "Coplanar-waveguide-fed folded dipole slot antenna for wireless local area network applications and V-band frequency operations," IET Microw., Antennas & Propag., Vol. 6, No. 5, 583-587, Apr. 2012.
12. Chang, M.-C. and W.-C. Weng, "A dual-band printed dipole slot antenna for 2.4/5.2GHz WLAN applications," IEEE Int. Symposium on Antennas and Propag., 274-277, Spokane, Washington, Jul. 2011.
13. Oraizi, H. and S. Hedayati, "Miniaturization of microstrip antennas by the novel application of the Giuseppe Peano fractal geometries," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 60, No. 8, 3559-3567, Aug. 2012.
14. Herscovici, N., M. Osorio, and C. Peixeiro, "Miniaturization of rectangular microstrip patches using genetic algorithms," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 1, No. 1, 94-97, 2002.
15. Rengarajan, S. R. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "On the cross-polarization characteristics of crooked wire antennas designed by genetic algorithms," IEEE Int. Symp. on Antennas and Propagation Society, Vol. 1, 706-709, 2002.
16. Skrivervik, A.K., J.-F. Z¨urcher, O. Staub, and J. R. Mosig, "PCS antenna design: the challenge of miniaturization," IEEE Antennas Propag. Mag., Vol. 43, No. 4, 12-27, Aug. 2001.
17. Bancroft, R., "Fundamental dimension limits of antennas ensuring proper antenna dimensions in mobile device designs," Centurion Wireless Technologies, Westminster, CO..
18. Pozar, D. M., Microwave Engineering, 4th Edition, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., Hoboken, NJ , 2011.
19. Campbell, C. K., I. Traboulay, M. S. Suthers, and H. Kneve, "Design of a stripline log-periodic dipole antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 25, No. 5, 718-721, Sept. 1977.
20. Khalaj-Amirhosseini, M., "Nonuniform transmission lines as compact uniform transmission lines," Progross In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 4, 211, 2008.
21. Li, Y., "Centering, trust region, reflective techniques for nonlinear minimization subject to bounds,", Technical Report 93-1385, Cornell University, NY, USA, Sept. 1993.
22. ANSYS-High Frequency Structure Simulator (HFSS), Ansys, Inc., Canonsburg, PA, 2011, .
23. Caratelli, D., R. Cicchetti, G. Bit-Babik, and A. Faraone, "Circuit model and near-field behavior of a novel patch antenna for WWLAN applications," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 49, No. 1, 97-100, Jan. 2007.