The performance of wireless communication systems is predominantly dependent on propagation environment and respective radiating antennas. Due to the shorter wavelength at Millimeter Wave (MmW) frequencies, the propagation loss through the objects in indoor environments is typically very high. To improve the channel capacity and to reduce inter-user interference, a high gain directional antenna is desired at MmW frequencies. Traditional antennas used in MmW devices are not suitable for low-cost commercial devices due to their heavy, bulky and expensive configurations. This paper focuses on design and development of a very compact (44.61 mm x 9.93 mm x 0.381 mm) high gain Antipodal Linear Tapered Slot Antenna (ALTSA) utilizing Substrate Integrated Waveguide (SIW) technology at 60 GHz. Received signal strength (RSS), path loss (PL) and capacity are studied for MmW based wireless applications utilizing ALTSA with Radio Frequency (RF) measurement equipment in narrow hallway environment.
2. Rappaport, T. S., J. N. Murdock, and F. Gutierrez, "State of the art in 60-GHz integrated circuits and systems for wireless communications," IEEE Proc., Vol. 99, No. 8, 1390-1436, Aug. 2011.
3. Smulders, P., "Exploiting the 60GHz band for local wireless multimedia access: Prospects and future directions," IEEE Commuunication Magazine, Vol. 2, No. 1, 140-147, Jan. 2002.
4. Huang, K. C. and D. J. Edwards, Millimetre Wave Antennas for Gigabit Wireless Communications, 1st Edition, John Wiley, Chichester, UK, 2008.
5. Namas, T. and M. Hasanovic, "Ultrawideband antipodal Vivaldi antenna for road surface scanner based on inverse scattering," Proc. of 28th Annual Review of Progress in Applied Computational Electromagnetics, 882-887, Ohio, 2012.
6. Coburn, W. K. and A. I. Zaghloul, "Numerical analysis of stacked tapered slot antennas," Proc. 28th Annual Review of Progress in Applied Computational Electromagnetics, 112-117, Ohio, 2012.
7. Chang, D. C., B. H. Zeng, and J. C. Liu, "Modified antipodal Fermi antenna with piecewise-linear approximation and shaped-comb corrugation for ranging applications," IET Microwaves, Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 4, No. 3, 399-407, Mar. 2010.
8. Rodenbeck, C. T., S. G. Kim, W. H. Tu, M. R. Coutant, S. Hong, M. Li, and K. Chang, "Ultrawideband low cost phased array radars," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 53, No. 12, 3697-3703, Dec. 2005.
9. Sugawara, S., Y. Maita, K. Adachi, and K. Mizuno, "Characteristics of a mm-wave tapered slot antenna with corrugated edges," IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest, 533-536, Baltimore, 1998.
10. Djerafi, T. and K. Wu, "Corrugated substrate integrated waveguide (SIW) antipodal linearly tapered slot antenna array fed by quasi-triangular power divider," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 26, 139-151, 2012.
11. Bozzi, M., L. Perregrini, K. Wu, and P. Arcioni, "Current and future research trends in substrate integrated waveguide technology," Radioengineering, Vol. 18, No. 2, 201-206, 2009.
12. Hao, Z. C., W. Hong, J. X. Chen, X. P. Chen, and K. Wu, "A novel feeding technique for antipodal linearly tapered slot antenna array," IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest, Vol. 3, 1641-163, China, 2003.
13. Huang, T. J. and T. H. Heng, "Antipodal dual exponentially tapered slot antenna (DETSA) with stepped edge corrugations for front-to-back ratio improvement," Proc. of IEEE International Workshop on Electromagnetics, Applications and Student Innovation (iWEM), 48-51, Taipei, Aug. 2011.
14. Yoon, D. G., Y. P. Hong, Y. J. An, J. S. Jang, U. Y. Pak, and J. G. Yook, "High-gain planar tapered slot antenna for Ku-band applications," Proc. of IEEE Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference Proceedings (APMC), 1914-1917, Yokohama, 2010.
15. Shrivastava, P., D. Chandra, N. Tiwari, and T. R. Rao, "Investigations on corrugation issues in SIW based antipodal linear tapered slot antenna for wireless networks at 60GHz," Applied Computational Electromagnetics Society ACES, Vol. 28, No. 10, 960-968, Oct. 2013.
16. Vettikalladi, H., O. Lafond, and M. Himdi, "High-Efficient and high-gain superstrate antenna for 60-GHz indoor communication," IEEE Letters on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 8, 1422-1425, Jan. 2010.
17. Ghosh, T. A., M. C. Thomas, R. Cudak, P. Ratasuk, F. Moorut, W. Vook, T. S. Rappaport, G. R. MacCartney, S. Sun, and S. Nie, "Millimeter-wave enhanced local area systems: A high-data-rate approach for future wireless networks," IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, Vol. 32, No. 6, 1152-1163, Jun. 2014.
18. Maltsev, A. R., A. Maslennikov, A. Evastyanov, A. Khoryaev, and A. Lomayev, "Experimental investigations of 60 GHz WLAN systems in office environment," IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, Vol. 27, No. 8, 1488-1499, Oct. 2009.
19. Ellis, T. J. and G. M. Rebeiz, "Mm-wave tapered slot antennas on micromachined photonic bandgap dielectrics," IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest, Vol. 2, 1157-1160, San Francisco, Jun. 1996.
20. Yoon, D. G., Y. P. Hong, Y. J. An, J. S. Jang, U. Y. Park, and J. G. Yook, "Broadband high-gain linearly tapered slot antenna with outside corrugations," IEICE Electronics Express, Vol. 8, No. 4, 202-208, 2011.
21. Wang, W., X. Wang, W. Wang, and A. E. Fathy, "Planar high-gain antipodal linearly tapered slot antenna for passive millimeter-wave focal plane array imaging," IEEE International Symposium on Phased Array Systems & Technology, 267-271, Waltham, MA, USA, Oct. 2013.
22. Ismail, M. and A. R. Sebak, "High-gain SIW-based antipodal linearly tapered slot antenna for 60-GHz applications," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium (APSURSI), 217-218, Memphis, Tennessee, USA, Jun. 2014.
., , http://www.remcom.com/wireless-insite.
24. Yang, K. S., S. T. Choi, S. Nishi, K. Tokuda, and Y. H. Kim, "60GHz high integrated transceiver for broad band short distance communication," Proc. of URSI GA 2005, C-06, 2005, Access Mode: http://www.ursi.org/Proceedings/ProcGA05/pdf/C06.4%2801679%29.pdf.
25., , http://www.keysight.com/en/pd-797248-pn-N5182A/mxg-rf-vectorsignal-generator?&cc=IN&lc=eng.
26., , http://cp.literature.agilent.com/litweb/pdf/5989-6529EN.pdf.
27. Suiyan, G., "Performance and capacity analysis of 60GHz WPAN channel," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 51, No. 11, 2671-2675, 2009.
28. Yong, S. K. and C. C. Chong, "An overview of multi gigabit wireless through millimeter wave technology: Potentials and technical challenges," EURASIP Journal on Wireless Communications and Networking, Vol. 2007, Article ID 78907, 2007.
29. Liu, C. E., R. Skafidas, and R. J. Evans, "Capacity and data rate for millimeter wavelength systems in a short range package radio transceiver," IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications, Vol. 9, No. 9, 903-906, Mar. 2010.
30. Kumar, A. and T. R. Rao, "Analysis of planning and deployment issues for short-range gigabit wireless communications at 60GHz," International Journal of Microwave and Optical Technology, Vol. 9, No. 2, 156-163, Mar. 2014.
31. Ramesh, S. and T. R. Rao, "Indoor radio link characterization studies for millimeter wave wireless communications utilizing dielectric loaded exponentially tapered slot antenna," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 29, No. 4, 551-564, 2015.