A novel wide band microstrip line-fed antenna with defected ground structure is proposed for circularly polarized characteristics. This antenna is suitable for C-band and partially X-band operation. Antenna1 structure consists of microstrip-line-feed, and the square-shaped slot with defect is incorporated in the ground plane. Furthermore, a rectangular and circular patch embedded in the square slot that improves the performance of the radiating Antenna2 and Antenna3 structure, respectively. The proposed Antenna3 is compact in size and shows a good quality of polarization at resonant frequency band. Antenna3 shows the measured impedance bandwidth of 40.72 % (6.45-9.75 GHz) and also shows the variations of 3-dB axial ratio bandwidth at the 6.806 GHz and 9.13 GHz frequencies with the simulated results, respectively. The return loss, axial ratio, gain, efficiency and radiation pattern of the proposed Antenna3 remain consistent for resonant frequency band. The antenna is practically fabricated and simulated. Measured result shows a good agreement with simulated and theoretical ones.
2. Wu, C.-M., J.-W. Syu, and W.-C. Liu, "Dual-band slotted patch antenna with defective ground for WLAN/WiMAX applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 53, 1-6, 2015.
3. Gautam, A. K. and B. K. Kanaujia, "A novel dual-band asymmetric slit with defected ground structure microstrip antenna for circular polarization operation," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 55, 1198-1201, 2013.
4. Nasimuddin, X. Qing and Z. N. Chen, "Compact asymmetric-slit microstrip antennas for circular polarization," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 59, 285-288, 2011.
5. Guha, D., S. Biswas, M. Biswas, J. Y. Siddiqui, and Y. M. M. Antar, "Concentric ring-shaped defected ground structure for microstrip application," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 5, 402-405, 2006.
6. Wang, T., Y.-Z. Yin, J. Yang, Y.-L. Zhang, and J.-J. Xie, "Compact triple-band antenna using defected ground structure for WLAN/WiMAX applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 35, 155-164, 2012.
7. Pei, J., A.-G. Wang, S. Gao, and W. Leng, "Miniaturized triple-band antenna with a defected ground plane for WLAN/WiMAX applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 10, 298-301, 2011.
8. Das, S., P. P. Sarkar, and S. K. Chowdhury, "Design and analysis of a compact triple band slotted microstrip antenna with modified ground plane for wireless communication applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 60, 215-225, 2014.
9. Zhang, L., B. Chen, Y.-C. Jiao, and Z.-B. Weng, "Compact triple-band monopole antenna withtwo strips for WLAN/WiMAX applications," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 54, 2650-2653, 2012.
10. Samsuzzaman, M., M. T. Islam, J. S. Mandeep, and N. Misran, "Printed wide-slot antenna design with bandwidth and gain enhancement on low-cost substrate," The Scientific World Journal, Vol. 14, 1-10, 2014.
11. Fu, S.-H. and C.-M. Tong, "A novel CSRR-based defected ground structure with dual-bandgap characteristics ," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 51, 2908-2910, 2009.
12. Kumar, K. M., B. K. Kanaujia, S. Dwari, S. Kumar, and A. K. Gautam, "Analysis and design of wide band microstrip-line-fed antenna with defected ground structure for Ku band applications," International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 68, 915-957, 2014.
13. Abhishek, K., R. Sharma, and S. Kumar, "Bandwidth enhancement using Z-shaped defected ground structure for a microstrip antenna," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 55, 2251-2254, 2013.
14. Rawat, S. and K. K. Sharma, "A compact broadband microstrip patch antenna with defected ground structure for C-band applications," Central European Journal of Engineering, Vol. 4, 287-292, 2014.
15. Mourad, M. and M. Essaaidi, "A dual ultra wide band slotted antenna for C and X-band application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 47, 91-96, 2014.
16. Samsuzzaman, M. and M. T. Islam, "Inverted S-shaped compact antenna X-band applications," The Scientific World Journal, Vol. 14, 1-11, 2014.
17. Garg, R., P. Bhartia, I. Bahl, and A. Ittipiboon, Microstrip Antenna Design Handbook, Artech House, Boston, 2001.
18. Collins, R. E., Foundations of Microwave Engineering, John Wiley & Sons, 2001.
19. Abboud, F., J. P. Damiano, and A. Papiernik, "A new model for calculating the input impedance of coax-fed circular microstrip antennas with and without air gaps," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 38, 1882-1885, 1990.
20. Pozar, D. M., Microwave Engineering, John Wiley & Sons, 2005.
21. Huang, Y. I. and K. Boyle, Antenna from Theory to Practice, John Wiley & Sons, 2008.
22. Kominami, M., D. M. Pozar, and D. H. Schaubert, "Dipole and slot elements and array on semi-infinite substrate," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 33, 600-607, 1985.
23. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory Analysis and Design, John Wiley & Sons, 2005.
24. Lu, J. H., C. L. Tang, and K. L. Wong, "Single feed slotted equilateral triangular microstrip antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 47, 1174-1178, 1999.
25. Kirschning, M., R. H. Jansen, and N. H. L. Koster, "Accurate model for open and effect microstrip lines," Electron. Letters, Vol. 17, 123-125, 1981.
26. Wolf, E. A., Antenna Analysis, Artech House, 1988.
27. Terman, F. E., Electronic and Radio Engineering, McGraw-Hill, 1995.
28. IE3D Simulation Software, , Version 14.05, Zeland software Inc., 2008.