This paper presents the design and development of Koch fractal dipole antenna for wearable applications at 450 MHz. Common jeans cotton is used as a flexible substrate material having a dielectric constant of 1.6 for the design and fabrication of the proposed antenna. Increasing the number of iterations increases the number of sections, which eventually results in 32% reduction in size. Size miniaturization is obtained using second iteration Koch geometry with the antenna bandwidth of 10%, and the return loss of -25 dB is achieved under the flat condition. The investigations are to characterize the antenna not only in flat condition, but also under different bendings and crumpling conditions. The proposed Koch fractal antenna is close to the proximity of the body, and the absorption of electromagnetic power on human body is also examined. It is found that the Specific Absorption rate (SAR) is much below a safety level of 0.119 W/kg and hence suitable for wearable applications.
1. Rais, N. H. M., P. J. Soh, F. Malek, S. Ahmad, N. B. M. Hashim, and P. S. Hall, "A review of wearable antenna," Proceedings of Loughborough Antennas & Propagation Conference (LAPC), 225-228, Loughborough, Nov. 2009.
3. Locher, I., M. Klemm, T. Kirstein, and G. Troster, "Design and characterization of purely textile patch antennas," IEEE Trans. Adv. Pack., Vol. 29, 777-788, 2006. doi:10.1109/TADVP.2006.884780
4. Jalil, M. E. B., M. K. Abd Rahim, N. A. Samsuri, and N. A. Murad, "Triple band fractal koch antenna for wearable application," PIERS Proceedings, 1285-1289, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, Mar. 27-30, 2012.
5. Bonato, P., "Wearable sensors/systems and their impact on biomedical engineering," IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Magazine, Vol. 22, 18-20, May-Jun. 2003. doi:10.1109/MEMB.2003.1213622
6. Osman, M. A. R. and M. K. B. Rahim, "Wearable textile antenna: Fabrics investigation," Journal of Communication and Computer, Vol. 7, 68, Jul. 2010.
7. Watanabe, T. and H. Iwasaki, "Wearable finger dual band antenna for BAN," Proceedings of IEEE-APS Topical Conference on Antennas and Propagation in Wireless Communications (APWC), Vol. 1, 51-54, Sep. 2012. doi:10.1109/APWC.2012.6324898
8. Gupta, B., S. Sankaralingam, and S. Dhar, "Development of wearable and implantable antennas in the last decade: A review," Proceedings of Mediterranean Microwave Symposium (MMS), 251-267, Guzelyurt, Turkey, Aug. 2010.
9. Cohen, N., "Fractal antenna applications in wireless telecommunications," IEEE Professional Program Proc. of Electronics Industries Forum of New England, 43-49, 1997. doi:10.1109/EIF.1997.605374
10. Puente, C., J. Claret, F. Sagues, J. Romeu, M. Q. Lopez-Salvans, and R. Pous, "Multiband properties of a fractal tree antenna generated by electrochemical deposition," Electron. Letters, Vol. 32, No. 25, 2298-2299, 1996. doi:10.1049/el:19961579
11. Vinoy Jose, K. J., K. Abraham, and V. K. Varadan, "On the relationship between fractal dimension and the performance of multi-resonant dipole antennas using koch curves," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 51, No. 9, 2296-2303, Sep. 2003. doi:10.1109/TAP.2003.816352
12. Best, S., "On the resonant properties of Koch fractal antennas," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 1, 2002.
13. Puente, C., M. Navarro, J. Romeu, and R. Pous, "Variations on the fractal Sierpinski antenna flare angle," IEEE International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation Digest, Vol. 4, 2340-2343, Jun. 1998.
14. Hanzah, S. A., M. K. Raimi, N. Abdullah, and M. S. Zaina, "Design, simulation and fabrication of a 900 MHz Koch fractal dipole antenna," Proceedings of 4th Student Conference on Research and Development (SCOReD), Selengar, Malaysia, Jun. 2006.
15. Karim, M. N. A., M. K. Abd Rahim, T. Masri, and O. Ayop, "Koch fractal dipole antenna for DTV reception," Proceedings of IEEE International RF and Microwave Conference, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, Dec. 2008.
16. Salonen, P. and L. Hurme, "A novel fabric WLAN antenna for wearable applications," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, Vol. 2, 700-703, 2008.
17. Hertleer, C., H. Rogier, L. Vallozzi, and F. Declercq, "A textile antenna based on high-performance fabrics," Proceedings of 2nd European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EuCAP), 1-5, 2007.
18. Salonen, P., Y. Rahmat-Samii, H. Hurme, and M. Kivikoski, "Dual-band wearable textile antenna," Proceedings of IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society Symposium, 463-466, 2004. doi:10.1109/APS.2004.1329674
19. Langley, R. and S. Zhu, "Dual band wearable antenna," Proceedings of Loughborough Antennas and Propagation Conference (LAPC), 14-17, Mar. 2008. doi:10.1109/LAPC.2008.4516853
20. Zimmerman, T. G., "Personal area networks: Near-field intra body communication," IBM System Journal, Vol. 35, 609, 1996. doi:10.1147/sj.353.0609
21. Sundaram, A., M. Madella, and R. Ramadoss, "Koch fractal folded slot antenna characteristics," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 6, 219-222, 2007. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2007.895293
22. Salonen, P., M. Keskilammi, and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "Textile antennas: Effect of antenna bending on radiation pattern and efficiency," Proceedings of IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium (APS), 1-4, 2008.
23. Salonen, P. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "Textile antennas: Effects of antenna bending on input matching and impedance bandwidth," IEEE Aerospace and Electronic Systems Magazine, Vol. 22, 18-22, 2007. doi:10.1109/MAES.2007.4408597
24. Bai, Q. and R. Langley, "Textile PIFA antenna bending," Proceedings of Loughborough Antennas & Propagation Conference (LAPC), Nov. 2011.
25. Sankaralingam, S. and B. Gupta, "Development of textile antennas for body wearable applications and investigations on their performance under bent conditions," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 22, 53-71, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIERB10032705
26. Jalil, M. E. B., M. K. Abd Rahim, N. A. Samsuri, N. A. Murad, H. A. Majid, K. Kamardin, and M. Azfar Abdullah, "Fractal koch multiband textile antenna performance with bending, wet conditions and on the human body," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 140, 633-652, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIER13041212