This paper addresses the miniaturization of Quadrifilar Helix Antennas (QHAs) for space applications (VHF Telemetry, Tracking and Command). Several shape miniaturization techniques were presented, and the impact of height reduction is quantified in terms of radiation pattern, gain and phase center. Simulated and experimental results demonstrate that Compact Quadrifilar Helix Antennas (CQHAs) with a height reduced up to 70% reported to the reference QHA can be designed. By using an appropriate optimization method, the impact of the miniaturization on CQHA performances in terms of radiation pattern and polarization purity can be minimized. Moreover, the impact on the gain is quantified, and design rules are reported. Finally a closed-form expression for estimating the gain of CQHAs from the height reduction factor is found.
5. Kilgus, C. C., "Shaped-conical radiation pattern performance of the backfire quadrifilar helix," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 23, No. 3, 392-397, May 1975. doi:10.1109/TAP.1975.1141084
6. Takacs, A., N. J. G. Fonseca, and H. Aubert, "Height reduction of the axial-mode open-ended quadrifilar helical antenna," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 9, 942-945, 2010. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2010.2081966
7. Amin, M. and R. Cahil, "Compact quadrifilar helix antenna," IET Electronics Letters, Vol. 41, No. 12, 672-674, Jun. 2005. doi:10.1049/el:20051176
8. Amin, M., R. Cahil, and V. F. Fusco, "Mechanically tunable multiband compact quadrifilar helix antenna with dual mode operation," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 56, No. 6, 1528-1532, Jun. 2008. doi:10.1109/TAP.2008.923331
9. Amin, M. and R. Cahil, "Effect of helix turn angle on the performance of a half wavelength quadrifilar antenna," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 16, No. 6, 384-386, Jun. 2006. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2006.875587
10. Auriol, A., "Helix-type antenna and its manufacturing process,", European Patent, publication number: 0320404A1, Jun. 14, 1989.
11. Adams, A., R. Greenough, R. Wallenberg, A. Mendelovicz, and C. Lumjiak, "The quadrifilar helix antenna," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 22, No. 2, 173-178, Mar. 1974. doi:10.1109/TAP.1974.1140755
12. Ibambe, M. G., Y. Letestu, and A. Sharaiha, "Compact printed quadrifilar helical antenna," IET Electronics Letters, Vol. 43, No. 13, 697-698, Jun. 21, 2007. doi:10.1049/el:20070571
13. Chew, D. K. C. and S. R. Saunders, "Meander line technique for size reduction of quadrifilar helix antenna," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 1, 109-111, 2002. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2002.806051
14. Bhandari, B., S. Gao, and T. Brown, "Meandered variable pitch angle printed quadrifilar helix antenna," Proc. of LAPC’2009, 325-327, Loughborough, UK, Nov. 16-17, 2009.
15. Hanane, L., S. Hebib, H. Aubert, and N. J. G. Fonseca, "Antenna of the helix type having radiating strands with a sinusoidal pattern and associated manufacturing process,", Patent International Publication Number WO 2009/034125 A1, Mar. 19, 2009.
16. Back, J., J. Zackrisson, M. Ohgren, and P. Ingvarson, "A new quadrifilar helix antenna family with flexible coverage for space applications," Proc. of EuCAP 2007, 1-6, Edinburgh, UK, Nov. 11-16, 2007.
17. Mirkamali, A., L. Akhoondzadeh, K. Keyghobad, and M. Soleimani, "A novel quadrifilar helix antenna for use in LEO satellite communications," Proc. of International Conf. on Antenna Theory and Techniques, 509-511, Sevastopol, Ukraine, Sep. 9-12, 2003.
18. Son, W. I., W. G. Lim, M. Q. Lee, S. B. Min, and J. W. Yu, "Printed square quadrifilar helix antenna (QHA) for GPS receiver," Proc. of EUMC’2008, 1292-1296, Amsterdam, Netherlands, Oct. 2008.
19. http://smsc.cnes.fr/SVOM/Fr/GP satellite.htm.
20. Inoue, J., "Helical antenna,", International Publication Number WO 01/24315, Apr. 4, 2001.
21. Saunders, S. R. and D. Kwan Chong Chew, "Multifilar helix antennas,", US Patent 7,142,170 B2, Nov. 28, 2006.
22. Fonseca, N., S. Hebib, H. Aubert, and L. Hanane, "Helix antenna,", Patent International Publication Number WO 2008/142099 A1, Nov. 27, 2008.
23. Ermutlu, M. and K. K.-P. Kiesi, "Multi-filar helix antennae,", US Patent 6,232,929 B1, May 15, 2001.
24. Aubert, H., H. Diez, D. Belot, and A. Takacs, "Compact helical antenna with a sinusoidal profile modulating a fractal pattern,", Patent International Publication Number WO 2013139935 A1, 2013.
25. Fonseca, N. and H. Aubert, "Compact helical antennas - A review," Recent Patents Electr. Eng. J., Vol. 9, 942-945, 2010.
26. Takacs, A., H. Aubert, H. Diez, and D. Belot, "Miniaturization of quadrifilar helical antenna: Impact on efficiency and phase center position," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 7, No. 3, 202-207, Feb. 19, 2013. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2012.0416
27. Takacs, A., T. Idda, H. Aubert, and H. Diez, "Compact VHF quadrifilar helix antenna," Proc. of EUMC’2012, Amsterdam, Netherlands, Oct. 28-Nov. 2, 2012.
28. Fonseca, N. J. G., A. Takacs, and H. Aubert, "Design and experimental validation of a compact quadrifilar helix antenna in VHF band," Proc. of APMC 2009, Singapore, Dec. 7-10, 2009.
29. Takacs, A., N. J. G. Fonseca, H. Aubert, and X. Dollat, "Miniaturization of quadrifilar helix antenna for VHF band applications," Proc. of LAPC’2009, 597-600, Loughborough, UK, Nov. 16-17, 2009.
30., Modern Plastics Encyclopaedia, McGraw Hill, New York, 1981-1982.