This paper presents a new implementation technique of transmission zeros in an in-line coupled filter. Neither cross couplings between non-adjacent resonators nor separate side-line resonators have been used. Instead a mixture of single-mode hairpin resonators and dual-mode patch resonators have been adopted in a bandpass filter with one asymmetric transmission zero. The introduction of the patch led to an improved frequency selectivity through an independently controllable transmission zero. This approach has been verified by a three-pole filter at 2.6 GHz with 8% bandwidth and a transmission zero at 2.4 GHz. Good agreement has been shown between the measurements and the simulation.
1. Meng, M. and I. Hunter, "The design of parallel connected filter networks with non-uniform Q resonators," IEEE MTT-S Int. Microw. Symp. Dig., Vol. 61, No. 1, 372-381, June 17-22, 2012.
2. Yusuf, Y. and X. Gong, "Compact low-loss integration of high-3-D filters with highly efficient antennas," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theo. Techn., Vol. 59, No. 4, 857-865, April 2011. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2010.2100407
3. Mao, C. X., S. Gao, Z. P. Wang, Y. Wang, F. Qin, B. Sanz-Izquierdo, and Q. X. Chu, "Integrated filtering-antenna with controllable frequency bandwidth," 9th Europ. Conf. on Antennas and Propagation (EuCAP), April 12-17, 2015.
5. Liao, C. and C. Chang, "Design of microstrip quadruplet filters with source-load coupling," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 53, No. 7, 2302-2308, July 2005. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2005.850442
6. Rhodes, J. and R. Cameron, "General extracted pole synthesis technique with applications to low-loss TE011 mode filters," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 28, No. 9, 1018-1028, September 1980. doi:10.1109/TMTT.1980.1130213
7. Macchiarella, G. and M. Politi, "Use of generalized coupling coefficients in the design of extracted-poles waveguide filters with non-resonating nodes," IEEE MTT-S Int. Microw. Symp. Dig., 1341-1344, June 2009.
8. Jedrzejewski, A., N. Leszczynska, L. Szydlowski, and M. Mrozowski, "Zero-pole approach to computer aided design of in-line SIW filters with transmission zeros," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 131, 517-533, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIER12061510
9. Yeo, K., M. Lancaster, and J. Hong, "The design of microstrip six-pole quasi-elliptic filter with linear phase response using extracted-pole technique," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory and Technique, Vol. 40, No. 2, 321-327, 2001. doi:10.1109/22.903092