In this manuscript, a reduced size, ground slotted monopole antenna, operating in the range of 3.1-10.6 GHz is designed and implemented for breast cancer detection using time reversal MUSIC. A homemade breast mimicking phantom has been experimentally designed to facilitate the detection implementation. The simulated and measured results are in good agreement. The slots and blending edges of the ground, along with the feed step are some techniques applied to the designed antenna in order to achieve a broad bandwidth and reduce considerably the reflection coefficient. The resulting dielectric constant from the breast phantom is relatively close to the real normal breast tissues. After the design has been completed, some techniques of time reversal MUSIC were employed to mimic the breast cancer detection. The experimental results show that both temporal and spatial images of the cancer (tumor) are well represented here.
2. Nadine Joachimowicz, N., C. Conessa, T. Henriksson, and B. Duchene, "Breast phantoms for microwave imaging," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 13, 1333-1336, 2014.
3. Hossain, M. D. and A. S. Mohan, "Breast cancer localization in three dimensions using time reversal DORT method," 2012 International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation (ISAP), 471-474, 2012.
4. Jin, Y. W., J. M. F. Moura, and Y. Jiang, "Breast cancer detection by time reversal imaging," 5th IEEE International Symposium on Biomedical Imaging: From Nano to Macro, 2008. ISBI 2008, 816-819, 2008.
5. Shao, W. and R. S. Adams, "Two antipodal vivaldi antennas and an antenna array for microwave early breast cancer detection," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 55, 670-674, Mar. 2013.
6. Huynh, P. T., A. M. Jarolimek, and S. Daye, "The false-negative mammogram," Radiograph, Vol. 18, No. 5, 1137-1154, 1998.
7. Fear, E. C., X. Li, S. C. Hagness, and M. A. Stuchly, "Confocal microwave imaging for breast cancer detection: Localization of tumors in three dimensions," IEEE Trans. Biomed. Eng., Vol. 49, 812-822, Aug. 2002.
8. Elmore, J. G., M. B. Barton, V. M. Moceri, S. Polk, P. J. Arena, and S. W. Fletcher, "Ten-year risk of false positive screening mammograms and clinical breast examinations," New Eng. J. Med., Vol. 338, No. 16, 1089-1096, 1998.
9. Fear, E. C., S. C. Hagness, P. M. Meaney, M. Okoniewski, and M. A. Stuchly, "Enhancing breast tumour detection with nearfield imaging," IEEE Microwave Magazine, Vol. 3, No. 1, 48-56, Mar. 2002.
10. Carr, K. L., "Microwave radiometry: Its importance to the detection of cancer," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 37, 1862-1869, Dec. 1989.
11. Bocquet, B., J. C. van de Velde, A. Mamouni, Y. Leroy, G. Giaux, J. Delannoy, and D. Del Valee, "Microwave radiometric imaging at 3GHz for the exploration of breast tumors," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 38, 791-793, Jun. 1990.
12. Chaudhary, S. S., R. K. Mishra, A. Swarup, and J. M. Thomas, "Dielectric properties of normal and malignant human breast tissues at radiowave and microwave frequencies," Indian J. Biochem. Biophys, Vol. 21, 76-79, Feb. 1984.
13. Surowiec, J., S. S. Stuchly, J. R. Barr, and A. Swarup, "Dielectric properties of breast carcinoma and the surrounding tissues," IEEE Trans. Biomed. Eng., Vol. 35, 257-263, Apr. 1988.
14. Lazebnik, M., E. L. Madsen, G. R. Frank, and S. C. Hagness, "Tissue-mimicking phantom materials for narrowband and ultra-wideband microwave applications," Physic. Medicine Biology, Vol. 50, 4245-4258, 2005.
15. Madsen, E. L., J. A. Zagzebski, and G. R. Frank, "Oil-in-gelatin dispersions for use as ultrasonically tissue-mimicking materials," Ultrasound in Medicine and Biology, Vol. 8, 277-287, 1982.
16. Abbosh, A. M. and M. E. Bialkowski, "Design of ultra-wideband planar monopole antennas of circular and elliptical shape," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 56, No. 1, 17-23, 2008.
17. Fink, M., "Time reversed acoustics," Physics Today, Vol. 50, 34, 40, 1997.
18. Jin, Y., Y. Jiang, and J. M. F. Moura, "Time reversal beamforming for microwave breast cancer detection," IEEE International Conferences on Image Processing, Vol. 5, V-13-V-16, San Antonio, Texas, Sep. 16-19, 2007.
19. Yavuz, M. and F. Teixeira, "Ultra wide band microwave sensing and imaging using time-reversal techniques: A review," Remote Sensing, Vol. 9, 466-495, 2009.
20. Yavuz, M. E. and F. L. Teixeira, "Ultrawideband microwave sensing and imaging using time-reversal techniques: A review," Remote Sensing, Vol. 9, 466-495, 2009.
21. Hossain, M. D., F. Yang, M. J. Abedin, and A. S. Mohan, "Time reversal microwave imaging for the localization and classification of early stage breast cancer," Proceedings of the Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference, 477, 2011-978-0-85825-974-4c2011, Engineers Australia, 2011.
22. Salvador, S. M. and G. Vecchi, "Experimental tests of microwave breast cancer detection on phantoms," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 57, 1705-1712, Jun. 2009.