A compact magnetic Yagi antenna and a four-element array with vertically polarized radiation are presented using the substrate integrated waveguide (SIW) technology. The SIW functions as driven element to generate vertically polarized wave. Microstrip patches are connected to ground plane function as magnetic dipole directors. With this arrangement, a compact magnetic Yagi antenna with vertically polarized radiation is designed. The total area is only 1.58λ1×0.95λ1 (λ1 represents the wavelength at 9.5 GHz) and reduced by 63.1% compared to previous magnetic Yagi antenna. The relative bandwidth is 16.15% and peak gain 7.31~8.82 dBi. Then the four-element linear array is analyzed, fabricated and measured. Simulated and experimental results demonstrate that the array antenna still preserves vertical polarization, and the peak gain is 14.06~14.78 dBi in the relative bandwidth of 14.43%.
1. Estrada, J. G., C. I. Páez, and A. Fajardo, "A new broadband quasi Yagi-Uda antenna with an EBG-truncated ground plane," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 12, 1392-1395, 2013. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2013.2286758
2. Nguyen, P. T., A. Abbosh, and S. Crozier, "Wideband and compact quasi-Yagi antenna integrated with balun of microstrip to slotline transitions," Electron. Lett., Vol. 49, No. 2, 88-89, 2013. doi:10.1049/el.2012.3192
3. Abbosh, A., "Ultra-Wideband quasi-Yagi antenna using dual-resonant driver and integrated balun of stepped impedance coupled structure," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 61, No. 7, 3885-3888, 2013. doi:10.1109/TAP.2013.2257642
4. DeJean, G. R. and M. M. Tentzeris, "A new high-gain microstrip Yagi array antenna with a high Front-to-Back (F/B) ratio for WLAN and millimeter-wave applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 55, No. 2, 298-304, 2007. doi:10.1109/TAP.2006.889818
5. DeJean, G. R., T. T. Thai, S. Nikolaou, and M. M. Tentzeris, "Design and analysis of microstrip Bi-Yagi and quad-Yagi antenna arrays for WLAN applications," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 6, 244-248, 2007. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2007.893104
6. Honma, N., T. Seki, K. Nishikawa, K. Tsunekawa, and K. Sawaya, "Compact six-sector antenna employing three intersecting dual-beam microstrip Yagi-Uda arrays with common director," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 54, No. 11, 3055-3062, 2006. doi:10.1109/TAP.2006.883980
7. Liu, J. and Q. Xue, "Microstrip magnetic dipole Yagi array antenna with endfire radiation and vertical polarization," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 61, No. 3, 1140-1147, 2013. doi:10.1109/TAP.2012.2230239
8. Cheng, Y. J. and Y. Fan, "Millimeter-Wave miniaturized substrate integrated multibeam antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 59, No. 12, 4840-4844, 2011. doi:10.1109/TAP.2011.2165497
9. Zhai, G., Y. Cheng, Q. Yin, L. Chiu, S. Zhu, and J. Gao, "Super high gain substrate integrated clamped-mode printed log-periodic dipole array antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 61, No. 6, 3009-3016, 2013. doi:10.1109/TAP.2013.2246853
10. Deslandes, D. and K. Wu, "Integrated microstrip and rectangular waveguide in planar form," IEEE Microw. Wireless Component Lett., Vol. 11, No. 2, 68-70, 2001. doi:10.1109/7260.914305
11. Esquius-Morote, M., B. Fuchs, J. Z¨urcher, and J. R. Mosig, "A printed transition for matching improvement of SIW horn antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 61, No. 4, 1923-1930, 2013. doi:10.1109/TAP.2012.2231923
12. Li, S., J. Gao, X. Cao, Z. Zhang, and D. Zhang, "Broadband and high-isolation dual-polarized microstrip antenna with low radar cross section," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 13, 1413-1416, 2014.
13. Che, W., K. Deng, D.Wang, and Y. L. Chow, "Analytical equivalence between substrate-integrated waveguide and rectangular waveguide," IET Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 2, No. 1, 35-41, 2008. doi:10.1049/iet-map:20060283