Two major performance degrading factors in free space optical communication systems are rainfall and atmospheric turbulence. We study the outage probability and bit-error rate for free-space communication links with spatial diversity and Gaussian-Schell electromagnetism beams over the raining turbulence fading channels by double inverse Gaussian distribution proposed in this paper. Assuming intensity-modulation/direct detection with on-off keying and perfect channel state information, we derive expressions of average bit-error rate and outage probability of multiple-input multiple output free space optical communication systems over double inverse Gaussian model. The effects of scintillation index of raining turbulence, spatially coherence of source, pointing errors and spectral index of non-Kolmogorov turbulence on the outage probability and bit-error rate of multiple-input multiple-output free space optical communication systems are examined.
2. Andrews, L. and R. L. Phillips, Laser Beam Propagation Through Random Media, SPIE, Bellingham, WA, 2005.
3. Zhang, Y. X., C. Si, Y. Wang, J. Wang, and J. Jia, "Capacity for non-Kolmogorov turbulent optical links with beam wander and pointing errors," J. Opt. Laser Techno., Vol. 43, No. 7, 1338-1342, 2011.
4. Yu, J. Y., Y. H. Chen, L. Liu, X. L. Liu, and Y. J. Cai, "Splitting and combining properties of an elegant Hermite-Gaussian correlated Schell-model beam in Kolmogorov and non-Kolmogorov turbulence," Opt. Express, Vol. 23, No. 10, 13467-13481, 2015.
5. Baykal, Y. and H. Gerçekcioğlu, "Application of equivalent structure constant in scintillations and BER found for non-Kolmogorov spectrum," Opt. Commun., Vol. 310, 109-113, 2014.
6. Eyyuboğlu, H. T., "Apertured averaged scintillation of fully and partially coherent Gaussian, annular Gaussian, flat toped and dark hollow beams," Opt. Commun., Vol. 339, 141-147, 2015.
7. Farid, A. A. and S. Hranilovic, "Outage capacity optimization for free-space optical links with pointing errors," J. Lightw. Technol., Vol. 25, No. 7, 1702-1710, 2007.
8. Grabner, M. and V. Kvicera, "Multiple scattering in rain and fog on free-space optical links," J. Lightw. Technol., Vol. 32, No. 3, 513-520, 2014.
9. Lin, S. H., "A method for calculating rain attenuation distributions on microwave paths," Bell Syst. Tech. J., Vol. 54, No. 6, 1051-1083, 1975.
10. Morita, K. and I. Higuti, "Prediction methods for rain attenuation distributions of micro and millimeter waves," Rev. Electron. Commun. Labs, Vol. 24, No. 7, 651-668, 1976.
11. Livieratos, S., V. Katsambas, and J. D. Kanellopoulos, "A Global method for the prediction of the slant path rain attenuation statistics," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 14, No. 5, 713-724, 2000.
12. Panagopoulos, A. D., P. D. M. Arapoglou, J. D. Kanellopoulos, and P. G. Cottis, "Long-term rain attenuation probability and site diversity gain prediction formulas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 53, No. 7, 2307-2313, 2005.
13. Kourogiorgas, C., A. D. Panagopoulos, and J. D. Kanellopoulos, "On the earth-space site diversity modeling: A novel physical-mathematical outage prediction model," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 60, No. 9, 4391-4397, 2012.
14. Kourogiorgas, C., "A new method for the prediction of outage probability of LOS terrestrial links operating above 10 GHz," IEEE Antenn. Wireless Propaga. Lett., Vol. 12, 516-519, 2013.
15. Kourogiorgas, C. and A. D. Panagopoulos, "New physical-mathematical model for predicting slant-path rain attenuation statistics based on inverse Gaussian distribution," IET Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 7, No. 12, 970-975, 2013.
16. Navidpour, S. M., M. Uysal, and M. Kavehrad, "BER performance of free-space optical transmission with spatial diversity," IEEE Tran. Wireless Commun., Vol. 6, No. 8, 2813-2819, 2007.
17. Chatzidiamantis, N. D. and H. G. Sanddalidis, "Inverse Gaussian modeling of turbulence-induced fading in free-space optical systems," J. Lightw. Technol., Vol. 29, No. 10, 1590-1596, 2011.
18. Wang, F., Y. Cai, H. T. Eyyuboğlu, and Y. Baykal, "Average intensity and spreading of partially coherent standard and elegant laguerre-gaussian beams in turbulent atmosphere," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 103, 33-56, 2010.
19. Li, Y. Q., Z.-S. Wu, and L. G. Wang, "Polarization characteristics of a partially coherent gaussian schell-model beam in slant atmospheric turbulence," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 121, 453-468, 2011.
20. Wang, F., X. Liu, and Y. Cai, "Propagation of partially coherent beam in turbulent atmosphere: A review," IEEE Trans. Commun., Vol. 150, 123-143, 2015.
21. Trigui, I., A. Laourine, S. Affes, and A. Stephenne, "The inverse Gaussian distribution in wireless channels: Second-order statistics and channel capacity," IEEE Trans. Commun., Vol. 60, No. 11, 3167-3173, 2012.
22. Karmeshu and R. Agrawal, "On efficacy of Rayleigh-inverse Gaussian distribution over K-distribution for wireless fading channels," Wireless Commun. Mobile Comput., Vol. 7, No. 1, 1-7, 2007.
23. Mohammed, N. A., A. S. El-Wakeel, and M. H. Aly, "Performance evaluation of FSO link under NRZ-RZ line codes, different weather conditions and receiver types in the presence of pointing errors," J. Elec. Electronic Enginee., Vol. 6, No. 12, 28-35, 2012.
24. Deng, P., M. Kavehrad, Z. Liu, Z. Zhou, and X. Yuan, "Capacity of MIMO free space optical communications using multiple partially coherent beams propagation through non-Kolmogorov strong turbulence," Opt. Express, Vol. 21, No. 13, 15213-15229, 2013.
25. Borah, D. K. and D. G. Voelz, "Spatially partially coherent beam parameter optimization for free space optical communications," Opt. Express, Vol. 18, No. 20, 20746-20758, 2010.
26. Toselli, I., L. C. Andrews, R. L. Phillips, and V. Ferrero, "Free-space optical system performance for laser beam propagation through non-Kolmogorov turbulence," Opt. Enginee., Vol. 47, No. 2, 026003, 2008.
27. Wolfram, , Wolfram function site, 2010, Available: http://function.wolfram.com.
28. Huang, Y., A. Zeng, Z. Gao, and B. Zhang, "Beam wander of partially coherent array beams through non-Kolmogorov turbulence," Opt. Lett., Vol. 40, No. 8, 1619-1622, 2015.
29. Andrews, L. C., R. L. Phillips, and C. Y. Hopen, Laser Beam Scintillation With Applications, SPIE, Bellingham, WA, 2001.