In this paper, a new compact coplanar waveguide (CPW) ultrawideband (UWB) antenna with an electronically tunable notched band is proposed for an overlay onto cognitive radio (CR) systems. The proposed antenna utilized a rectangular microstrip resonator in the bottom layer to create a single notched band and to realize tunability and miniaturization using varactors. The center frequency of the notched band can be electronically tuned by changing the effective electrical length of the microstrip resonator, which is achieved by employing two varactor diodes at the resonator edges. Moreover, the simple biasing of the varactor diodes has a small effect on the antenna performance. Experimental results show that the proposed antenna can selectively have a band notch over a continuous operating band about 1.44 GHz from 4.77 to 6.21 GHz to prevent the interference to the primary users that are operating in this band such as the WLAN (5.15-5.35 GHz; 5.725-5.825 GHz) and the WiMAX (5.25-5.825 GHz). Good agreement is found between the simulated and the measured data.
2. Tawk, Y., J. Costantine, and C. G. Christodoulou, "Cognitive radio and antenna functionalities: A tutorial [Wireless Corner]," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 56, No. 1, 231-243, 2014.
3. Tawk, Y., M. Bkassiny, G. El-Howayek, S. K. Jayaweera, K. Avery, and C. G. Christodoulou, "Reconfigurable front-end antennas for cognitive radio applications," IET Microwave Antennas Propagation, Vol. 8, No. 5, 985-992, 2011.
4. Trad, I. B., J. M. Floch, H. Rmili, L. Laadhar, and M. Drissi, "Planar elliptic broadband antenna with wide range reconfigurable narrow notched bands for multi-standard wireless communication devices," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 145, 69-80, 2014.
5. Abbas, S. M., Y. Ranga, A. K. Verma, and K. P. Esselle, "A simple ultra wideband printed monopole antenna with high band rejection and wide radiation patterns," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 62, No. 9, 4816-4820, Sept. 2014.
6. Satyanarayana, B. and S. Mulgi, "Design of planar band-notched monopole antenna for 2.4 GHz WLAN and UWB applications," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 5, No. 1, 249-2501, 2015.
7. Wu, Z.-H., F. Wei, X.-W. Shi, and W.-T. Li, "A compact quad band-notched UWB monopole antenna loaded one lateral L-shaped slot," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 139, 303-315, 2013.
8. Cai, Y., H. Yang, and L.-Y. Cai, "Wideband monopole antenna with three band-notched characteristics," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 13, 607-610, 2014.
9. Loizeau, S. and A. Sibille, "Reconfigurable ultra-wide band monopole antenna with a continuously tunable band notch," IET Microwave Antennas Propagation, Vol. 8, No. 5, 346-350, 2014.
10. Li, C. M. and L. H. Ye, "Improved dual band-notched UWB slot antenna with controllable notched band-widths," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 115, 477-493, 2011.
11. Ojaroudi, N., N. Ghadimi, Y. Ojaroudi, and S. Ojaroudi, "A novel design of microstrip antenna with reconfigurable band rejection for cognitive radio applications," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 56, No. 12, 2998-3003, 2014.
12. Lotfi, P., M. Azarmanesh, and S. Soltani, "Rotatable dual band-notched UWB/triple-band WLAN reconfigurable antenna," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 12, 104-107, 2013.
13. Zhao, D., L. Lan, Y. Han, F. Liang, Q. Zhang, and B. Wang, "Optically controlled reconfigurable band-notched UWB antenna for cognitive radio applications," IEEE Photonics Technology Letters, Vol. 26, No. 21, 2173-2176, 2014.
14. Zheng, S. H., X. Y. Liu, and M. M. Tentzeris, "Optically controlled reconfigurable band-notched UWB antenna for cognitive radio systems," Electronics Letters, Vol. 50, No. 21, 1502-1504, October 2014.
15. Li, T., H. Zhai, L. Li, C. Liang, and Y. Han, "Compact UWB antenna with tunable band-notched characteristic based on microstrip open-loop resonator," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 11, 1584-1587, 2012.
16. Aghdam, S. A., "A novel UWB monopole antenna with tunable notched behavior using varactor diode," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 13, 1243-1246, 2014.
17. Hong, J.-S. and M. J. Lancaster, Microstrip Filters for RF/Microwave Applications Theory Analysis and Design, 1st Ed., Wiley & Sons, New York, 2001.
18. CST Microwave Studio, ver. 2015, Computer Simulation Technology AG, Japan, AET, 2015.
19. Sam, W. Y. and Z. Zakaria, "A review on reconfigurable integrated filter and antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 63, 263-273, 2015.
20. `DataSheetSMV1405', http://www.skyworksinc.com/Product/552/SMV1405_Series.